Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backyard 'granny pods': A new high-tech alternative to nursing homes

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Erm, the Government's not the solution but it really is a fairly new problem. To go back to my grandmother's example, since it's not that abnormal (at least in my culture) to take in relatives: her husband died in 1977, and she was left with no real independent means of her own. She was 57. I'm sure when dad agreed to take her in, he was not envisioning still contributing to her welfare when she's 96. That is a really long time. In the meantime, mom is now 65. In the olden days, this would definitely be in the "winding down" portion of her life, but instead she is still caring for her own mom, providing some financial support and a lot of moral support to my sister, and helping figure out how best to raise my sister's kids. It's the lifespan and the litany of problems that weaken but do not kill the elderly person that have changed.
    And before 1900, the average human lifespan was around 40 for thousands of years, IIRC.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    And before 1900, the average human lifespan was around 40 for thousands of years, IIRC.
    Yep, so while granny might have been a problem, she certainly was not going to be one for 30-45 years, and absolutely not until their "kids" were also past the age where you would have expected them to be dead by then.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The average human life span was around 40 because of the high infant mortality rate setting the curve. There were plenty of people that lived way past 40ish years.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    The average human life span was around 40 because of the high infant mortality rate setting the curve. There were plenty of people that lived way past 40ish years.
    Bingo.

In my, admittedly "unscientific" study of New England cemeteries, I've found that life expectancy, once having gotten past the illnesses and diseases of childhood, are equal to or even greater than today.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Bingo.

In my, admittedly "unscientific" study of New England cemeteries, I've found that life expectancy, once having gotten past the illnesses and diseases of childhood, are equal to or even greater than today.
    What are you doing hanging around cemeteries....

oh never mind.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Life Expectancy

Life expectancy has increased rapidly since the Enlightenment. Estimates suggest that in a pre-modern, poor world, life expectancy was around 30 years in all regions of the world. In the early 19th century, life expectancy started to increase in the early industrialized countries while it stayed low in the rest of the world. This lead to a very high inequality in how health was distributed across the world. Good health in the rich countries and persistently bad health in those countries that remained poor. Over the last decades this global inequality decreased. Countries that not long ago were suffering from bad health are catching up rapidly. Since 1900 the global average life expectancy has more than doubled and is now approaching 70 years. No country in the world has a lower life expectancy than the the countries with the highest life expectancy in 1800.
    http://ourworldindata.org/data/popul...fe-expectancy/

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Exactly.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html
    "There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs." Thomas Sowell

Bingo.

My points were more about the underlying support structure and the length of time people require assistance. Many of those old-timers were supported by family at the least, neighbors, or even the town, to some degree or another. The amount of time between grandpa having a stroke and grandpa being in the ground was not measured in decades, and he was likely being somewhat productive up until the very end. Now you have a very top-heavy demographic reality with debt thrown into the mix and years of uncertainty, high medical bills, and multiple other problems.

Regarding the cemetery approach, btw, it doesn't always work (depending on what era you're looking at). There are some areas with nearly no Civil War gravestones for most of their fighting men. They were not likely to get carted home during the thick of it unless they were of some import. Other wars tend to be about the same, and a lot of people were not buried in cemeteries that lasted through today.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Bingo.
    Visiting Cemeteries puts many things in perspective.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    A few years ago, when my mom could no longer care for my dad, I did extensive renovations so they could come and live with us. The Grannypod would've been perfect. I know my mom would appreciate the peace and quiet when she's trying to watch Judge Judy and the teenage boys who parade through the house probably wouldn't miss having shoes thrown a them. My mom will throw a shoe at you if you start getting on her nerves.O_o
    That's awesome you could do that for them.

This is a little 'high tech' for us. My GF's grandma has been living with us for.... 11 years?. At first it was as a roomie but progressed into us taking care of her. We share a 10 x 17' bedroom with our beds set into an L, so my GF can hold her hand or otherwise calm her during the night. I wouldn't want it any other way at this point. Big houses and privacy have lost their appeal to me. I would happily take a 'me pod' from time to time though.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    I wouldn't want it any other way at this point. Big houses and privacy have lost their appeal to me. I would happily take a 'me pod' from time to time though.
    You don't sound so sure of that.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

That's actually a misleading stat. Infant mortality used to be way way way higher than it is now, which brought the 'average' down. You were a lot less likely to make it past 5 years old, but if you did, lots and lots of people lived past 60, 70, 80. The average person absolutely did NOT die around 40.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    A few years ago, when my mom could no longer care for my dad, I did extensive renovations so they could come and live with us. The Grannypod would've been perfect. I know my mom would appreciate the peace and quiet when she's trying to watch Judge Judy and the teenage boys who parade through the house probably wouldn't miss having shoes thrown a them. My mom will throw a shoe at you if you start getting on her nerves.O_o
    thats feisty

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    That's actually a misleading stat. Infant mortality used to be way way way higher than it is now, which brought the 'average' down. You were a lot less likely to make it past 5 years old, but if you did, lots and lots of people lived past 60, 70, 80. The average person absolutely did NOT die around 40.
    There were more cutoff points than we have now. Appendicitis meant death in most cases. Complicated fractures and other stuff that could cause internal bleeding was much more likely to kill a person. Tainted food or animal borne disease. Stuff like that was also much more common. Essentially, very few people ever died of 'old age'.

It's not misleading that that was the average lifespan. It may not be the median lifespan but it could very well be the average.
    "I am a bird"

yes and no....

mortality distribution England and Wales 1850 to current per 100,000 females

males

in south africa.... the mode age at death is 35, this mostly has to do with infectious disease and malnutrition

in hunter gatherer societies you were essentially equally likely to die at any age up to 75
    Last edited by presence; 03-14-2016 at 07:56 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Wars, diseases, accidents, plagues, etc., they all took their toll, (and still do).

Do we need a remedial statistics, refresher course?

Do we need a remedial statistics, refresher course?
    Look at presence's charts. Even in 1850 the plurality of adult deaths were around 75 years old.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 03-15-2016 at 07:14 AM.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    \ IIRC.
    As you recall?

You were around then?

I only recall trips to cemeteries,, Hundreds of them, and some names and dates.

Lots of folks lived long and prosperous lives before 1900.
    Harsh lives and many fine ways to die shortened many lives.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Look at presence's charts. Even in 1850 the plurality of adult deaths were around 75 years old.
    Is 'plurality' a new statistical term? Why only use the adults death age limits, thats NOT the point being made? Care to guess again?
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 03-15-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    As you recall?

You were around then?

I only recall trips to cemeteries,, Hundreds of them, and some names and dates.

Lots of folks lived long and prosperous lives before 1900.
    Harsh lives and many fine ways to die shortened many lives.
    Well, I won't say I'm old, but I sat right behind Jesus in the 2nd grade.

And the bears and wolves appreciate him too.
    Who'd have ever thought he would be eco-friendly... The mind reels.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What are you doing hanging around cemeteries....

oh never mind.
    They are great outdoor catalogs of people and how they lived.

Especially here in New England, where some date back to the first half of the 17th century.

They are great outdoor catalogs of people and how they lived.

Especially here in New England, where some date back to the first half of the 17th century.
    and a good place to find a name no one is using.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    and a good place to find a name no one is using.
    Elijah Woodhall, please to meet you.

Elijah Woodhall, please to meet you.

I have, in the past done so.. searched for a deceased child that was near to my age to build an ID on.

But my made up alias worked well for many years.

I think the idea (Granny Pods) is a good one.

So good that me and Great Gramma are living in one (sort of)

Most of my ancestors live past 40,, considerably past..
    I never had plans on surviving past 30,, and at 58 I'm thinking 40 would have been good.

Last edited by pcosmar; 03-19-2016 at 09:02 AM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmmm...mom takes care of kids sometimes into their adulthood then gets to live in a pod as a reward. Not sure about this. I personally hope I go before a nursing home scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Hmmm...mom takes care of kids sometimes into their adulthood then gets to live in a pod as a reward. Not sure about this. I personally hope I go before a nursing home scenario.
    Different strokes for different folks.

My 99 year old father in law is now being charged ~$4K/month by his retirement community for 'services'.

They have a very strong incentive and vested interest in keeping their residents alive and well at least as long as their money holds out.

My mother had the right idea. She just died at home in her late 80's. Just went to sleep one night and didn't wake up. That's my choice for me too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast