Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What the heck is going on with my browser?

What the heck is going on with my browser?

So I get on the computer this morning and I notice my photo and email button are missing in the upper right hand corner and have been replaced with the word "Tacobnp". Then I noticed this...

How the heck did I get on Google Tajikstan and how do I get back on Google American?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    So I get on the computer this morning and I notice my photo and email button are missing in the upper right hand corner and have been replaced with the word "Tacobnp". Then I noticed this...

How the heck did I get on Google Tajikstan and how do I get back on Google American?
    were you using any type of vpn last night?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    were you using any type of vpn last night?
    Probably not, I dunno what a vpn is. I tried googling "Google US version" and when I clicked the link, it took me right back to Tajikistan.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I figured it out. In the bottom right hand corner of my Google screen I saw an option for using Google.com so I clicked on it and it took me to google us version. For some reason I have the option to switch back to Google Tajikistan (google.com.tj).

GOOGLE GAVE YOU TACO's ???????

Are you logged in with a google account ?
    "I am a bird"

Probably not, I dunno what a vpn is. I tried googling "Google US version" and when I clicked the link, it took me right back to Tajikistan.
    What browser are you using? I'd try loading google in a different browser and see if the same thing happens.
    Or load bing.com in the same browser and see if you get the US version of it.

don't sign in unless you see the green lock

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Perhaps your computer got hijacked. FWIW, Suggestion: virus scan and cleanup.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    don't sign in unless you see the green lock
    I already logged in but luckily I see that green lock. Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember that.

Hmmm. Well what I would do first is look up "what's my IP address" and the plug that number back into "IP Whois" to make sure he outside world didn't see me with a Tajikistan IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Perhaps your computer got hijacked. Suggestion: virus scan and cleanup.
    That's what I thought. I ran a scan but I came up clean.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Hmmm. Well what I would do first is look up "what's my IP address" and the plug that number back into "IP Whois" to make sure he outside world didn't see me with a Tajikistan IP address.
    Recently, my Netflix account got hacked from someone out of the country. Could my Google get hacked, too?

I already logged in but luckily I see that green lock. Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember that.
    In your google account preferences stuff you can say what country you are from and it should use that country whenever you are logged in. Then if you are not logged in, it SHOULD, go to the default in your area based on your IP. At least that's what it does for me. The stupid thing doesn't want to remember that I ALWAYS use .com version but it always links me to the Dutch version and tells me to log in if I want to change that... I never log in tho.
    "I am a bird"

Recently, my Netflix account got hacked from someone out of the country. Could my Google get hacked, too?
    Sure. Certainly if you use the same password.
    "I am a bird"

Does https://www.whatismyip.com/ show anything suspicious for your location? Do not copy and paste here as some info is private.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I tried that and got this result.

Query terms are ambiguous.
    Also, there's a Google box with a foreign language in it - I guess it's Tajikistanian.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Sure. Certainly if you use the same password.

I use the same password for everything, makes it easier for me to remember.

I use the same password for everything, makes it easier for me to remember.
    Then assume that everything is hacked. Especially if they got your mail since it has links to all sorts of things you are subscribed to.

They're probably only interested in your credit card tho.
    "I am a bird"

This is the ad I'm seeing here at RPF's.

I logged out and opened my browser and it went right back to Google Tajikstan. I ran a virus scan and nothing came up except some tracking cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Then assume that everything is hacked. Especially if they got your mail since it has links to all sorts of things you are subscribed to.

They're probably only interested in your credit card tho.
    Netflix is setup with your email, so yes, everything could be compromised.

Setup 2 factor authentication for your email (tied to your phone,) and change your password.

In the bottom right hand corner of gmail near "Last account activity," click "details" to possibly get a clue.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

I logged out and opened my browser and it went right back to Google Tajikstan. I ran a virus scan and nothing came up except some tracking cookies.
    Certainly very weird. I suppose that means your computer is routed through Tajikistan, I don't really know why else google would give you that page.

However, try this link; https://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en And turn it to English and see if it works.
    "I am a bird"

Okay, I rebooted my computer and when I opened my browser, I was logged in to Google (two of my emails were logged in, btw) and it was on Google US.
    I ran the virus scan several times and keep coming up clean. So bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post

Setup 2 factor authentication for your email (tied to your phone,) and change your password.

In the bottom right hand corner of gmail near "Last account activity," click "details" to possibly get a clue.
    Right, Gmail has a log of IP's that have accessed your account.
    "I am a bird"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

From 2008: Are you suffering from password pressure?

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...security.banks

Few things make you feel more helpless than sitting blank-faced at a screen, looking at a flashing cursor and a message saying "PASSWORD INCORRECT" in a disapproving tone. But that was the one for your bank, wasn't it? Or was it? And if it was, then what's your eBay one, again?

The password pressure of modern life means that 61% of us use the same password wherever we can, according to a survey commissioned by digital communications agency @www. In fact, with more than one in 10 people having 50 or more separate online accounts to log into, many are not only using the same password for everything, but also writing all their passwords down in one handy place, such as the noticeboard in their office, a document on their desktop, or a Post-it note stuck to their computer.

While having your child's name and birthdate might seem hard to decipher to you, if someone has access to any information about you, it may be only slightly more clever than having the word "password" as your password. So not very clever at all. But this doesn't mean you have to remember 50 completely unrelated nonsensical things.

There's clearly little harm in using the same password for the low-level-security accounts: a film club, a discussion group, a newspaper website - things that won't bankrupt you if security was compromised. But the more important the account, the more complex and unique to it your password should be. Never use standard dictionary words, for example. Criminals use "bots" that can scroll through every word in the dictionary and try them out as your password in seconds. To make them as secure as you can, try mixing letters with numbers, punctuation and misspellings. And the longer you make them, the better - just because the password is "minimum six characters", doesn't mean you should stop there. Think of a memorable phrase, take the spaces out, or use the first letter of each word.

According to Microsoft, it's not necessarily bad to write passwords down - a piece of paper is going to be much harder to hack for an internet baddie than something stored on your computer or online, as long as it is adequately protected. Hide it, disguise it, put spaces in it, blend it in with other things. And don't write "My banking passwords" at the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post

I checked and they're all me except two in OR. Why would someone in OR have a Tajikstan Google?

I checked and they're all me except two in OR. Why would someone in OR have a Tajikstan Google?
    This happens to people from Tajikistan when somebody from OR hijacks their account.

It may have something to do with updates being done on google's end. Early this morning I was getting CAPTCHA'd when I did searches, it usually doesn't do that to me unless I go through certain proxy servers.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It may have something to do with updates being done on google's end. Early this morning I was getting CAPTCHA'd when I did searches, it usually doesn't do that to me unless I go through certain proxy servers.
    I did find mentions from people that have had very similar experiences with google. Not many though. Those were quickly resolved and blamed on googles end.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It may have something to do with updates being done on google's end. Early this morning I was getting CAPTCHA'd when I did searches, it usually doesn't do that unless I go through certain proxy servers.
    I changed my gmail password to be safe, I don't want someone to get my coupons! That account only had where I signed up for Netflix and bull$#@! websites. I moved all my important correspondence to Protonmail. Speaking of Protonmail, I miss green73, he's the one who got me to sign up for it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast