Thread: Exchanging Anything of Value for Sex Will Soon Be a Crime in Oregon

Exchanging Anything of Value for Sex Will Soon Be a Crime in Oregon

There are a lot of hoary old jokes about the difference between dating or marriage and prostitution, but their punchlines all center on the idea that sex work and romantic bliss only differ by a matter of degrees. Oregon officials are now working to close this gap, by broadening the scope of activity that can be criminalized as prostitution. Under a measure passed unanimously by state Senators this week, the offense of "promoting prostitution" will include not just facilitating sexual services for a fee but also receiving goods, services, or anything of value in exchange for aiding, promoting, or "caus(ing) someone to engage" in prostitution.

The bill was passed by the Oregon House of Representatives on February 4, and is now awaiting the signature of Democratic Gov. Kate Brown.

Lawmakers say the measure is needed in order to prosecute sex traffickers, who often recieve things other than cash for facilitating sexual contact with victims. Granted, no one has any evidence of this happening at all, let alone frequently, but when they do, I guess Oregon lawmakers will be prepared.

Sex-worker advocates, meanwhile, say the measure will harm the most vulnerable among them the most. Many homeless young people wind up exchanging sexual favors for shelter, food, and other basic needs because resources like homeless shelters are way too overstretched, they pointed out to lawmakers. Criminalizing these attempts to survive won't open up more shelter beds, it will just make survival that much harder.

While we haven't gotten dystopian enough quite yet for cops to target conventional dating under this statute, it seems plenty plausible that it would be used to go after grey areas. "Sugar baby" relationships—where wealthy, older men provide gifts, pay rent, etc., for women they're sexually involved with—are a tale as old as time, but now that they're facilitated by apps and websites, their transactional nature has been turning more meddling heads.

Nita Belles, managing director of an organization promoting the legislation, sees all of these things as perks. "It may be that somebody is sleeping on somebody's couch for the purposes of having a place to sleep, and in exchange for the opportunity to sleep on that couch, they are required to have sex with somebody in the house," she told KTVZ Oregon. "A tablet, an iPad, a computer, an iPhone—something like that in exchange for sex. So now, it doesn't have to be a transaction of money."

"Belles said this will allow more prosecutions without the need for evidence of money being exchanged," KTVZ notes.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/02/25/or...ion-law-update
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No more engagement rings?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

This'll kill the bar scene in Oregon.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Let's be honest. An exchange of value is present in the vast majority of sexual encounters. If there were no value in it, people wouldn't pursue it as they do.

That's it, I'm never taking out the trash ever again!

So I guess sex for sex is out?