Thread: International Students for Liberty Conference 2016

International Students for Liberty Conference 2016

Did anyone attend? Let's talk about it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I was considering it but I graduated 3 years ago and I wasnt sure if you still needed to be a student. I attended the one in 2013. Did you attend?

You'd still be able to attend, there was high schoolers up to old men there, and yup I attended. It was one of those "hope for humanity" experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertas Aut Mortis View Post
    You'd still be able to attend, there was high schoolers up to old men there, and yup I attended. It was one of those "hope for humanity" experiences.
    Damn that wasn't mentioned on the website. Registering it looked like you still needed to be part of a chapter.

Well, I have the experience of being there before. How was it overall? Was it similar setup of speakers/ bands and booths of various Liberty-oriented organizations?

There wasn't a band, they had a DJ in the main area with all the booths and stuff, with an open bar.

The real highlight was all of the breakout sessions. The Charles Koch Institute was a partner in it, and they lead a few Foreign Policy talks, with guys like Michael Desch and John Mierschmier, then then had a Foreign Policy brunch and were working hard to recruit interns and graduate level recruits.

Outside of that, there were dozens of talks and presentations. I went to both of the Koch talks, and also a debate between a Conservative and a Libertarian (which was extremely intelligent, engaging, and fiery....he wasn't a neocon, but more of a Constitutionalist). Also Thomas Drake gave about an hour long talk on his experiences. There were also some ACLU stuff with digital privacy, the NRA doing their thing...talks from the Prince of Liechtenstein, an interview between George Will and Nick Gillespie. Stossel had a live show filmed. Gary Johnson fave a speech....a member of Pussy Riot wore a Bernie shirt to a Conference wide interview and was essentially booed off the stage. Ect ect ect.

It was awesome. And I got my picture with Vermin Supreme and the President of Liberland....so that was cool too.

Looking back on it, I remember a lot of organizations having booths to represent their respective organizations. I feel like there are too many though, and it would be more beneficial for the movement to unite in coordinated education campaigns and efforts.