Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midlife crisis... going to buy a helicopter...

Midlife crisis... going to buy a helicopter...

Faulk it... I'm tired of banging my head against the wall trying to get the "ah-mer-i-can people" to understand liberty. I've decided to pursue my life long desire to fly helicopters. A reasonable R22 with maybe 300 hours left on it can be had for between $65k to $80k and I've wanted to do this for at least 40 years. Back in the day the Rotorway people had the Scorpion helicopter kit and I had wanted to buy one and assemble it. Never had the money then. I've spent a good deal of time and money trying to wake people up and they seem to be quite content in traveling down the road to destruction. Can't help them if they don't want to see!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1758-1024x682.jpg  
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More fun than a new vette......

What's the range on a rig like that?

Enjoy it!

Be careful though, man. Small aircraft seem dangerous. Someone who was involved here in my state was killed in an accident with his small plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I'd also recommend you look into an ultralight trike. Basically a hang glider with a motor. They're even cheaper than these helos, you can get a decent used one for <25k, the price of a new car.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Faulk it... I'm tired of banging my head against the wall trying to get the "ah-mer-i-can people" to understand liberty. I've decided to pursue my life long desire to fly helicopters. A reasonable R22 with maybe 300 hours left on it can be had for between $65k to $80k and I've wanted to do this for at least 40 years. Back in the day the Rotorway people had the Scorpion helicopter kit and I had wanted to buy one and assemble it. Never had the money then. I've spent a good deal of time and money trying to wake people up and they seem to be quite content in traveling down the road to destruction. Can't help them if they don't want to see!!

Excellent . Enjoy !

not really my thing... out there with bungee jumping for me

...but if it was my goal, I'd probably pursue RC Helicopters first; get used to flight controls while crashing costs $500 instead of life

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

One of my best friends crashed his single engine plane. He killed his best friend but he got out with minor bruising. Plane went up in flames. He bought another plane and continued flying.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    More fun than a new vette......

What's the range on a rig like that?
    Helicopters don't have a great range so somewhere less that 200 miles usually. They are for short hops generally unless you want to make lots of fuel stops. You can only do about 100mph so this kind of chopper is strictly for fun flying. They are used as trainers at some places but locally I can only find instruction in Engstrom helicopters which are more money.

THIS ONE

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    One of my best friends crashed his single engine plane. He killed his best friend but he got out with minor bruising. Plane went up in flames. He bought another plane and continued flying.
    Haven't crashed my Cessna yet and it's a pretty high time plane. Even if the engine quits you can usually set either a fixed wing or rotary wing aircraft down without killing yourself (but you are likely to bend up your aircraft)...

THIS ONE

I dunno.. looks too easy to shoot down
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

My biggest caution would be to consider the effects upon your family in the event of the worst outcome.

And as far as flying with your family, I have coined the following phrase:

The family that flies together, dies together.

Other than that, have fun and learn everything to be competent.

Competent is a much higher standard than just achieving certification.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 02-28-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Another friend and former boss crashed his single engine in a annual race. I think it was called Jackpot in the late 1980's early 90's. All 4 onboard were killed. Both were considered experienced pilots and I had flown with both. Went across country once. That took a long time. Had to stop every several hundred miles. I split the fuel costs with him. It was expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    I'd also recommend you look into an ultralight trike. Basically a hang glider with a motor. They're even cheaper than these helos, you can get a decent used one for <25k, the price of a new car.
    Saw one soaring the cliffs in Hawaii with engine off for a very long time. He would soar one direction and then soar back into the updraft. He could stay up as long as his bladder could hold out...

THIS ONE

Haven't crashed my Cessna yet and it's a pretty high time plane. Even if the engine quits you can usually set either a fixed wing or rotary wing aircraft down without killing yourself (but you are likely to bend up your aircraft)...
    From my understanding it was dark and he got tangled up in some electric wires next to his home airport. The other guy smashed into a mountain in a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I dunno.. looks too easy to shoot down
    Yeah, if you are a good enough shot to hit it the damage would likely bring you down for sure. Unless you are right where it's taking off or landing though it would take quite a marksman to actually hit the thing.

THIS ONE

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    CA,

Rotary isn't my thing, but what is the final word on the newer Rotoway machines?

Their infomercials from several years ago made me rotor-curious, but I'm a straight-wing guy.

I've never heard any feedback whether they were safe and reliable.

As much as I can't stand regulation, certificated aircraft definitely are proven to be safer over the long haul, so the Robinson is a check in the safety column. However, there is a huge choke point on maintenance cost and regulation with a certificated a/c.

Years ago, a friend of mine owned a Brantley, then an Enstrom, and then a Hughes 500. The 500 about broke him. There was an AD waiting for him in the mail about every month. Expensive AD's. He got out of it for a few years and then bought an R-22. I don't think he's had any problems with it.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 02-28-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

Another friend and former boss crashed his single engine in a annual race. I think it was called Jackpot in the late 1980's early 90's. All 4 onboard were killed. Both were considered experienced pilots and I had flown with both. Went across country once. That took a long time. Had to stop every several hundred miles. I split the fuel costs with him. It was expensive.
    Day, VMC flying away from a big city and a small A/C in a forced landing you can walk away from. Or buy a Cirrus.

Last edited by Danke; 02-28-2016 at 01:32 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Day, VMC flying away from a big city and a small A/C in a forced landing you can walk away from. Or buy a Cirrus.
    sorry I don't understand.

Midlife crisis?

It would be more economical to just get some hookers and blow.
    Last edited by Danke; 02-28-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

sorry I don't understand.
    Nice weather in the daytime in open country.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Okay. That explains both those crashes. One in bad weather the other at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Midlife crisis?

It would more economical to just get some hookers and blow.

Okay. That explains both those crashes. One in bad weather the other at night.
    You know as good as night vision goggles have become, that might be a wise thing to carry on board if you're going to fly at night.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, if you are a good enough shot to hit it the damage would likely bring you down for sure. Unless you are right where it's taking off or landing though it would take quite a marksman to actually hit the thing.
    you doubt the government's access to expert marksmen? (and anti-aircraft weapons)
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I think the guy that crashed at night was returning later than expected to Aurora Colorado from Vegas. The airport where he kept his planed did not have any runway lights. I think I remember something to the effect of a friend had headlights illuminating the runway. He should have gone to the next airport and just gotten someone to meet him there.

I think the guy that crashed at night was returning later than expected to Aurora Colorado from Vegas. The airport where he kept his planed did not have any runway lights. I think I remember something to the effect of a friend had headlights illuminating the runway. He should have gone to the next airport and just gotten someone to meet him there.
    My father did this type of landing all the time with his Seneca II. Granted, he did roll the plane across the top of a friend's Mercedes one night. And yes, the driver $#@! himself.

I learned in a Cessna 172, and once twin engine rated, flew the Seneca. It's something I miss tremendously,and one day hope to be able to do again. I could go a partial hammerhead stall in the Cessna, loop it, and all kinds of things I should not have been doing (I was 16), but never had a desire to fly a helicopter. Their glide ratio compared to a fixed wing plane leaves me.....wanting.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    you doubt the government's access to expert marksmen? (and anti-aircraft weapons)
    I didn't realize they were gunning for me yet...

THIS ONE

I didn't realize they were gunning for me yet...
    Get a bike,, and go find America.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast