Thread: KS - State Supreme Court rules mandatory DWI tests unconstitutional.

Exclamation KS - State Supreme Court rules mandatory DWI tests unconstitutional.

Wow.

Best news I've heard in months.

BOMBSHELL: State Supreme Court Just Ruled Mandatory DUI Tests are Unconstitutional

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/kan...Kx6xXPDKhSo.99

On Friday, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled the state’s DUI testing refusal law unconstitutional, setting a remarkable precedent concerning forced testing of those suspected of driving under the influence.

In a 6-1 ruling, the court decided the state’s law, which had made it a crime to refuse breathalyzer or blood alcohol tests without a court-ordered warrant, is excessive punishment. Those tests, the court found, amounted to searches, and the Kansas law “punishes people for exercising their constitutional right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures,” reported the Kansas City Star.

“In essence, the state’s reasons are not good enough, and its law not precise enough, to encroach on the fundamental liberty interest in avoiding an unreasonable search,” wrote Justice Marla Luckert for the majority, according to KCTV.

According to Kansas law, the act of operating a motor vehicle gives implied consent for breath, blood, or urine testing to prove one’s sobriety, but the Supreme Court ruled the state’s Constitution allows for the withdrawal of consent without punishment for doing so.

Previously, refusing a sobriety test qualified as a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of no less than $1,250.

“Once a suspect withdraws consent, whether it be express consent or implied (under the statute), a search based on that consent cannot proceed,” the court decided.

According to the court, the state’s “compelling interest” to combat impaired driving and prosecute cases of DUI does not trump people’s fundamental individual liberties as protected by the Constitution.

Justice Caleb Stegall wrote the lone dissenting opinion, saying there are certain situations where the law could adhere to constitutionality, and as such, it should be applied on a case by case basis.

“By making this case about consent,” Stegall wrote, “the majority effectively looks at this appeal through the wrong end of the telescope and ends up with a myopic interpretation (of the statute).”

There are similar laws from other states currently before the U.S. Supreme Court, and Kansas’ could potentially wind up under the high court’s consideration as well.

In a related ruling, the Kansas Supreme Court also decided the case of an individual who consented to testing after being told he would be criminally prosecuted for refusing. According to the court, such a ‘warning’ is considered “coercive,” thus any consent given in such circumstances would be involuntary.

“Jay Norton, an Olathe criminal defense lawyer and expert on DUI law, said the law has often been used ‘as a hammer’ to induce people to plead guilty to DUI to avoid being charged with the additional crime of refusing a test,” reported the Star. Norton also said the law represented “prosecutorial overreach at its zenith.”

Christopher Mann, who sits on the national board of directors for Mothers Against Drunk Driving and is a former member of the Lawrence Police Department, said the organization didn’t agree with the court’s ruling.

“We support penalties for refusing to take chemical tests,” Mann explained. “We think law enforcement members need to have all the tools at their disposal to keep our roads safe from drunken drivers who kill about 10,000 people a year.”

“The Supreme Court has affirmed the right of the individual citizen to be free from forced searches by the government,” Norton stated.

Friday, Norton enthused, was a “great day” for both the Kansas and U.S. Constitutions.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

“We support penalties for refusing to take chemical tests,” Mann explained. “We think law enforcement members need to have all the tools at their disposal to keep our roads safe from drunken drivers who kill about 10,000 people a year.”
    This is utter bull$#@!!

That said good on the Ks. SC.......(And the DA's still need disemboweled!)

Checkpoints in my opinion are one of the most invasive things that definitely do not belong in any society that professes to be free.

My blood starts to boil when people just accept these kinds of things. Even if I have nothing to hide... I am free so leave me the $#@! alone.

So yeah, this is pretty big. But it's only a small glimmer of light.
    "I am a bird"

Good for Kansas..
    this needs to spread.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Wow.
    That's just what I said.

Might be a tool to start dismantling "implied consent" laws all across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That's just what I said.

Might be a tool to start dismantling "implied consent" laws all across the country.
    Right. "Wow" was all mind brain could process in the moment. NEVER thought I'd see a decision like this one.

That's just what I said.

No worries, the Nazgul in Mordor will over rule this affront to Sauron.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd be afraid to raise children in that state now.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Odd decision. Normally owning a car and/or driving on roads, would be considered sufficient implied consent
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

A rare instance where the Kansas Supreme Court actually got something right.

A small step forward, three hundred seventy nine thousand two hundred fifty six small steps backwards unfortunately.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

This is common sense beyond what I would expect. Very good .

In a 6-1 ruling, the court decided the state’s law, which had made it a crime to refuse breathalyzer or blood alcohol tests without a court-ordered warrant, is excessive punishment. Those tests, the court found, amounted to searches, and the Kansas law “punishes people for exercising their constitutional right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures,” reported the Kansas City Star.
    If you get in a deep conversation with a "competent LEO" ( oxymoron) or lawyer they will admit that the People are called to duty under the statute as member of the reserve militia or unorganized militia the same as if we where invaded by a foreign for or part of a "rebellion" and the punishment amounts to disciplining a member of the militia who is on duty.

Dig around in you state code of military justice and you will find they train us with war games. Wonder who the enemy in the game is ?

https://law.justia.com/constitution/...a-clauses.html
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It seems to me that the only mistake Kansas made in their law was to make Refusal a Crime (Misdemeanor)

I'm pretty sure in most states it's not a Crime to Refuse, but they still suspend your license.
    It is a civil infraction, and need not be a Crime for penalties to be given. Refusal has penalties in all states
    which are quite similar but not legally equivalent to a DUI.
    Last edited by Snowball; 12-06-2023 at 01:39 PM.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch