Thread: The Conscience of a Conservative

The Conscience of a Conservative

This is a powerful quote ending the first chapter of that book:

The turn will come when we entrust the conduct of our affairs to men who understand that their first duty as public officials is to divest themselves of the power they have been given. It will come when Americans, in hundreds of communities through the nation, decide to put the man in office who is pledged to enforce the Constitution and restore the Republic. Who will proclaim in a campaign speech: "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. (Emphasis added) It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ "interests," I shall reply that I was informed theirmain interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow, that's great.

Goldwater, eh. I thought it sounded familiar.

Here it is online, if anyone is interested.
    http://www.heritage.org/Research/fea...sEssay2004.pdf
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 06-29-2007 at 05:37 PM.