Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Stop Trump, Rubio Must Offer Cruz VP Or Supreme Court Spot

To Stop Trump, Rubio Must Offer Cruz VP Or Supreme Court Spot

To Stop Trump, Rubio Must Offer Cruz VP Or Supreme Court Spot
    By Ben Shapiro - February 20, 2016

The results are in: Donald Trump won a clear victory in South Carolina on Saturday, with Senators Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Marco Rubio (R-FL) battling it out for second place.

Trump’s victory in the South Carolina primary makes one fact eminently clear: as I wrote on Friday, either Cruz or Rubio will have to get out for Trump not to be the Republican 2016 presidential nominee.
    Unless Cruz recognizes that while he may have strength down south, it isn’t enough to overcome the Trump wave, and he won’t have enough delegates to win the nomination in a fractured field – he’s going to run out of steam just before the winner-take-all primaries begin.
    Here’s what needs to happen: Rubio needs to call Cruz and offer him either the vice presidential slot or a nomination on the Supreme Court – the actual best place for Cruz – in return for Cruz throwing all of his support to Rubio. That would put Trump behind the eight-ball in a serious way. Cruz would likely hold out for the vice presidential nomination, given how many enemies he has in the Senate; he knows he can’t count on them to confirm him even if nominated.
    More: http://www.dailywire.com/news/3558/e...uz-ben-shapiro
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That could be the only way to stop Trump at this point, but I think Cruz supporters would meltdown if he dropped out and endorsed Rubio.

I actually hope that happens. It would reveal what a snake he is.
    Last edited by EBounding; 02-22-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    Protest the NSA! Send encrypted e-mails!
    My PGP Key
    PGP Fingerprint: 3A2E 6218 3722 3701 09C9 54CA 9BB3 104C 5049 B6B2

If Cruz keeps self-destructing, Rubio won't have to do much of anything.

On the other hand, some people think Trump's presence in the campaign is very helpful. He is so outrageous he emboldens the other candidates to actually express a position.

I don't think Rubio owns his positions enough to be able to go one-on-one with Trump.
    Last edited by euphemia; 02-22-2016 at 03:27 PM.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

I'd rather see both cruz and the rube drop out, and Rand resume his campaign. That would be the best-case ideal solution to stopping trump. I'm surprised that this thread isn't full of trumpettes yet, all claiming that he's unstoppable.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    I'd rather see both cruz and the rube drop out, and Rand resume his campaign. That would be the best-case ideal solution to stopping trump. I'm surprised that this thread isn't full of trumpettes yet, all claiming that he's unstoppable.
    I'm not a trumpette myself, but at this juncture I think that he is pretty much unstoppable, both in getting the nomination and winning the presidency. Barring Trump keeling over dead from some unforeseen medical issue, this is all but over. Even if Cruz did accept an offer from Rubio in exchange for an endorsement, a solid chunk of Cruz's people would either stay home or shift to Trump.

Rand getting back into the race is not happening, the greater "Liberty" block is too busy "Feeling The Bern" to make it a successful venture. What surprises me is that there are people on this forum stupid enough to think that backing Sanders isn't a complete abandonment of their professed principles, domestically or otherwise.

I don't think Kasich can go one-on-one with Trump either. He's not running on positions as much as he's running on his record. A record can be great, but after a while it sounds like, "I was there, too."
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

But would you really rather have Rubio than Trump?

I think i'd take my chances with the Party imploding under Trump than being re-united under Rubio (cuban obama)

Last time I checked it was illegal to offer anything of substance, especially an appointment or job placement, in exchange for support in an election.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump stopped and Cruz on scotus would be good I suppose, but is he really qualified? He's never even been a judge. And I really would prefer Cruz as potus not Rubio. But either are better than Trump or Clinton. The remaining choices in this race suck.

I sort of think if this keeps up all the way to the convention as a 3 way race, Trump won't be the nominee. Trump's negatives are too high, I think he hit his ceiling already.
    Last edited by 69360; 02-22-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Last time I checked it was illegal to offer anything of substance, especially an appointment or job placement, in exchange for support in an election.
    Do you think it doesn't happen?

Was gonna say the same thing as Collins. This won't happen... Definitely illegal
    Waiting for the day the classical liberals drive the hateful alt-right out of the republican party, and the libertarians can rise again.

like as if TED CRUZ is too high and mighty to be bribed by a slot in Marco Rubio's CABINET?

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Trump stopped and Cruz on scotus would be good I suppose, but is he really qualified?
    technically there are no qualifications

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    technically there are no qualifications
    Cruz is a lawyer, but has never been a judge before. Has any supreme court justice ever been nominated without having prior experience as a federal judge? I'm pretty sure all current ones were federal judges prior to their nomination.

Anyway it's a ridiculous discussion because there's not a chance in hell it would happen, or even be something Cruz wants.
    Waiting for the day the classical liberals drive the hateful alt-right out of the republican party, and the libertarians can rise again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    like as if TED CRUZ is too high and mighty to be bribed by a slot in Marco Rubio's CABINET?
    give TED "RUST" a few weeks, let him lower his expectations. do tell him MITT is to be the VEEP, then hit him with the word cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    That could be the only way to stop Trump at this point, but I think Cruz supporters would meltdown if he dropped out and endorsed Rubio.

Yes, this can be their campaign slogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Sorry, does not apply to Rubio/Cruz.

Please refer to our campaign platform:

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertas Aut Mortis View Post
    But would you really rather have Rubio than Trump?
    I know I'll take flak for this, but yes. Trump is the worst authoritarian out there. Rubio also doesn't have a cult-like following. With Rubio we get more of the same but with Trump things could very well get worse.
    Stop believing stupid things

No way Cruz gets through the senate for Supreme Court spot. On top of that there's nothing he can offer Rubio that would make even a shred of difference.

Trump is going to be the nominee. Face the facts folks. It's trump vs hildabeast. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    It's trump vs hildabeast. Take your pick.
    hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm gotta think this over...

VP not possible, as both are Cuban. SCOTUS is likely.

Kasich will be VP, regardless who the nominee is

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    VP not possible,
    as both are Cuban.

Important point. Gov.Kasich can be dangled the SEC of the INTERIOR position.
    This makes it possible for the able Canadian Cuban-American to pick and choose
    a cabinet position plum as MITT becomes our ever lovin' VEEP without spending
    40 million dollars to get 250 delegates like he did in 2008. Dirt cheap it is 4 him.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post

So if that plan works out, who are you pulling for, to get the GOP nomination?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Cruz is a lawyer, but has never been a judge before. Has any supreme court justice ever been nominated without having prior experience as a federal judge? I'm pretty sure all current ones were federal judges prior to their nomination.

Anyway it's a ridiculous discussion because there's not a chance in hell it would happen, or even be something Cruz wants.
    You don't have to have experience as a Judge. Joe Biden, Loretta Lynch, all names being floated around. Actually Obama was hoping for the appointment. Even Michelle could be nominated.

If Cruz dropped out most of voters would probably go to Trump before Rubio

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll really have no preference if it comes down to a race between Rubio and Trump. They both seem equally bad to me.

I guess I'm just missing the stopping Trump mechanism at work there.

There is no stopping Trump, shy of an actual assassination.

“Force the normies into taking sides. At the moment they are just like "meh, I am minding my own business" retreating culturally into their private bubbles and "safe-spaces" since they don't understand what is going on. When the actual "us vs them" starts, they will be forced to fight or they'll die.” - Anonymous Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm gotta think this over...

Rubio/Cruz 2016
    Together, we're almost as evil as Hillary!
    Oligarchy delenda est

“If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic