Thread: Hayek Gold: Digital currency backed by gold??

Question Hayek Gold: Digital currency backed by gold??

You guys should check this out it was posted on the Guest forum
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...70#post6136570

Very interesting, thoughts? Sounds better than bitcoin. The cost to join is $25.

The real question to me seems the reliability of the company/storeholder

https://www.anthemvault.com/why

Trust, Integrity & Security: The 7-Star Anthem Vault Standard

1. All gold and silver owned in your account is physically stored at an independent, world-class nonbank vaulting facility in Salt Lake City, Utah that has over 150 year operating history.
    2. Our bullion is insured for loss by theft or natural disaster. Details of the coverage provided under the policy can be obtained upon request.
    3. Before being added to our bar list, each gold and silver bar is tested multiple times by our vault operator's professionals, using an ultrasonic gauge to ensure the bar's authenticity.
    4. A ‘bar audit’ is performed by our independent vault operator every time a bar enters or exits our vault, to verify record-keeping, to meet the strict demands of our insurers and to maximize transparency.
    5. All stored bars are the globally recognized standard 1 kg (32.15 oz) .9999 fine gold bars and COMEX standard 1,000 oz .9990 and higher fine silver bars, made only by LBMA refiners and purchased only from commercial bullion dealers. If you have sufficient metal in your account, you can take delivery of any bar(s) stored at any time if you wish to do so. View all bars held in storage on the Bar List page.
    6. Sensitive information and all transactions are securely transmitted and stored using SSL encryption, fully protected against any misuse by our Privacy Policy. Anthem Vault also employs several layers of safeguards, including e-mail PIN code verification any time funds are removed from your Anthem Vault account and requiring all money transfers be made only from/to a bank account in your name.
    7. Unlike funds held in a bank account or with a stock brokerage firm, you own outright all of the bullion you hold in your Anthem Vault account, as confirmed in our simple, short and clear Account Terms of Service. None of your bullion can be loaned out, used as collateral or encumbered in any way by Anthem Vault or its nonbank vault operator. Even if we ceased doing business, for whatever reason, 100% of your assets – in the form of physical bars, bank check or both, if you choose – can be quickly and easily distributed back to you.

Last edited by Son_of_Liberty90; 02-17-2016 at 11:48 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"Digital gold" undermines the most compelling reasons to use gold as money. Just more Bitcoin fanboism running amok.

Our own Helmuth Hubener operates a company called Liquid Gold. You get a debit card that can be loaded with as many FRNs as you want-it's all backed by gold 100%. It's a Visa card, so it's accepted anywhere Visa is. Highly recommended. Contact Helmuth for more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

we have a forum member that offers a service like this; a debit card that denominates in gold and spends in cash. helmuth?

edit...

yeah what hb34 said

lol

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Our own Helmuth Hubener operates a company called Liquid Gold. You get a debit card that can be loaded with as many FRNs as you want-it's all backed by gold 100%. It's a Visa card, so it's accepted anywhere Visa is. Highly recommended. Contact Helmuth for more info.
    Are you still using it?

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Are you still using it?
    Yup. It's one of the cards I use on Amazon. Never had a major problem with it. The minor issue I did have was cleared up immediately(system glitch).
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

That sounds intriguing. Is there a URL? Id be interested to know where the gold is stored, and how is a company like Visa partnered in a venture like this?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you cash in your balance for gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Can you cash in your balance for gold?
    If you have sufficient metal in your account, you can take delivery of any bar(s) stored at any time if you wish to do so. View all bars held in storage on the Bar List page.
    Sounds like it depends on the size of your holdings.
    Last edited by Son_of_Liberty90; 02-18-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Liberty90 View Post
    That sounds intriguing. Is there a URL? Id be interested to know where the gold is stored, and how is a company like Visa partnered in a venture like this?
    https://midas.gold/ I don't want to answer questions beyond my own experiences, as I don't want to misrepresent the company accidentally. Contact helmuth via pm or email him. His contact page: https://midas.gold/contact.php

https://midas.gold/ I don't want to answer questions beyond my own experiences, as I don't want to misrepresent the company accidentally. Contact helmuth via pm or email him. His contact page: https://midas.gold/contact.php
    I certainly will, thanks for the URL!

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    "Digital gold" undermines the most compelling reasons to use gold as money. Just more Bitcoin fanboism running amok.
    Someone needs to figure out a way to make change for a gold oz or gold will never be used as money again.

I like the debit card idea but I wonder how capital gains plays into it. If you buy at $1050 and then purchase something with your gold at $1200 do you then have to pay a tax on the transaction? This is what has always kept me from looking into a gold backed debit card. However, it is the next step if we want gold accepted as an everyday currency...
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Liberty90 View Post
    Sounds like it depends on the size of your holdings.
    Bars are said to be one kg. At 32 ounces per and $1200 an ounce for gold you need to have at least $38,000 with them. Otherwise your account really isn't backed by gold since you can't trade in your money for it.

All stored bars are the globally recognized standard 1 kg (32.15 oz)
    If you have sufficient metal in your account, you can take delivery of any bar(s) stored at any time if you wish to do so.
    Their fees are pretty reasonable though. 0.1% over spot to purchase and and for gold $0.90 a quarter for storage per $1000.

They currently list sixteen gold bars in storage. https://www.anthemvault.com/bar-list At $1200 an ounce, that is about $600,000 worth.

One imagines a huge walk-in vault piled with gold but picture sixteen of these doesn't require much space.

Plus 51 bars of silver which would be worth about $25,000 at a bit over $15 an ounce.

Photos not from their site- only to give an idea of the size of the bars- a small safe could easily contain all of them. The do note that it is a "non-bank" vault.

Mailing address is in Las Vegas- Google Maps indicates the location is not an office but a Pony Express Mail Boxes store. Gold is supposedly in Utah.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-19-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Im pretty sure this is the next rabbit to be pulled out of the banker's sleeve. "Gold backed digital currency". An oxymoron if I've ever heard of one.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-01-2016 at 04:22 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

So I sent an email to Mr. Hubener yesterday through the website. I'm anxious to read his answers to my questions.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Heavenlyboy34, I'm trying to send you a private message but am not sure how. Maybe its the minimum post count or something. In any case, I sent a message to MIDAS using their website contact form still haven't heard anything. Did you have to buy a certain quantity of gold before using the card?

What? That makes no sense whatsoever and is extremely myopic.

If a network of regularly audited banks and holding companies offered debit cards backed by gold and a large network of commercial outlets accepted these cards as payment, you're telling me that the reasons to own gold are undermined?

It does no such thing. Liberty in the tech age would ABSOLUTELY include a gold back debit and/or credit system. And if this liberty were real, you would not have to join in the convenient and economically sound fun if you didn't want to.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 02-27-2016 at 10:58 AM.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

"Digital currency backed by gold" is fiat currency not backed by gold.

If history has taught us anything, being backed by gold is revocable, and therefore nothing that is not gold is really backed by gold.

The whole point of gold is that it can't be created by a stroke of a pen or a few taps on a keyboard. Remove that property and it fails to remain money.

Oh my god....

FIAT MEANS BY DECREE - BY LAW.

A currency that is backed by gold and represented digitally for consumers (and the hard stuff can be provided on demand) where holding companies and merchants settle their accounts with the hard stuff is NOT fiat.

What the hell is with so many people assigning the word "fiat" to anything they don't like without even understanding what fiat is?

If history has taught us anything, being backed by gold is revocable, and therefore nothing that is not gold is really backed by gold.

The whole point of gold is that it can't be created by a stroke of a pen or a few taps on a keyboard. Remove that property and it fails to remain money.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 02-27-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Furthermore, creating a current account digitally saved that has actual gold backing it is simply the modern version of the original US dollar where...guess what...printed paper represented gold and could be redeemed for gold on demand.

Having a vault filled with gold that is privately owned by customers who then walk around with a debit card linked to their bank holding is simply a modernized version of gold backed US paper notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Oh my god....

FIAT MEANS BY DECREE - BY LAW.

A currency that is backed by gold and represented digitally for consumers (and the hard stuff can be provided on demand) where holding companies and merchants settle their accounts with the hard stuff is NOT fiat.

What the hell is with so many people assigning the word "fiat" to anything they don't like without even understanding what fiat is?
    "Fiat" doesn't require a law. Anything that is decreed into existence is fiat, regardless of whether there's a law involved or not.

The introduction of a level of representation between the actual money and the owner thereof by definition creates fiat. If I go to a gold storage vault and deposit gold and get a receipt for that deposit, that receipt is a fiat currency. However, the receipt does not offer the same level of certainty that actual physical possession of the gold does. The gold may be stolen from the vault by third parties, or more likely, by the vault owners themselves.

You must fully understand why gold is, if I may use a well-worn phrase, "the gold standard" for money in order to understand why promises in any form - digital and paper alike - do not meet that standard.

A gold coin in your pocket can never become worthless in an instant. It will never lose its inherent value. The same cannot be said for any representative form of money, even one that claims to be backed by gold.

Just ask the French how the gold-backed US dollar worked out for them.

Our gold standard (gold backed currency) was a fiat currency. The government declared how much gold the money was worth- say $35 to an ounce of gold. Paper money today is less fiat- its value is not set by government decree or order but by markets which decide what it is worth.

QUESTION: Mr. Armstrong

People seem to just equate any non commodity form of money as being fiat. But fiat means a value dictated by government. There seems to be a foot-loose use of the word fiat to the point I am not sure what people are yelling about. Bitcoin fluctuates wildly so where is the difference between that and paper money which also is not fixed?
    Confused
    Thanks

ANSWER: No you are correct. The term “fiat” is actually not applicable to money today for it floats and thus has no value decreed by law. the definition is specific that Fiat money is a currency which derives its value from government regulation or law. That is more akin to Bretton Woods attempting to fix money’s value to $35 worth of gold perpetually.

This idea of “fiat” money is typically mixed up with confidence and acceptance. This illustration is actually correct the only difference is that people believe the dollar is money and will then accept it. This is the core step between barter and a medium of exchange. Those who say only gold is money are biased for that is what they believe is money, which is clearly not the present accepted norm. The first widely accepted money was cattle. When St Patrick first went to Ireland he was shocked that money was regarded as slave girls. He even wrote that his expenses were about the value of 15 humans.

The first globally accepted metal as a medium of exchange was bronze. Why? Because it had a practical use as a weapon or a tool. Money always had to have a utilitarian value and that was in fact its belief that someone else would accept it in payment. China never minted gold or silver coins for money there became fiat since 246BC. It was a bronze coin that the state declared had a value that was not related to its utilitarian value. Japan issued the same fiat coins and each emperor devalued what was in circulation making his now worth 10 times those of previous emperors. That destroyed the “belief” in Japanese money so they turned to importing Chinese coins and using a bag of rice. Japan was forced to stop issuing its own money for 600 years. So yes, the value of money has ALWAYS been the belief regardless of what it might be.

Gold became desirable and was first believed to be the tears of the sun. It was restricted exclusively for use by kings. Only when gold became more common with discoveries in Turkey (Anatolia) did it move down from jewelry to becoming a medium of exchange. Why did it become a medium of exchange when it had no practical value beyond adornment? Simply back to “belief” that someone else would desire it so you would accept it in exchange for something else.

Money-Evolution

Anything used as money must have a belief that someone else will accept it. Without that “belief” not even gold would have any value as a medium of exchange. So the difference between the dollar and monopoly money is simply “belief”. The key is acceptability for whatever emerges as money must be by broad acceptance.

To the extent money is “legal tender” means that the government will accept it for all payments due to them. The dollar is the most recognized form of money in the world not by the design of government, but by pure “belief” and demand. Of course many Americans who are pro-gold will not agree with that statement because they are too domestic in the focus. It is not that the USA is trustworthy, but insofar as other governments are even less like the Euro, Ruble, Yen, and Yuan. This is why we will eventually be driven into a representative form of an electronic reserve currency as a political compromise, not that this would be the ultimate solution. There is a difference between PRACTICAL ideas and LOFTY THEORIES of a perfect world to which you can never reach. The medium of exchange is purely a representative form of money which in that sense gold, diamonds, bitcoin, and paper money all share that commonality. None of these objects have a consistent value. So what is actually money? That has always been the total productive capacity of a person and a nation. This is why taxation is important for the higher the tax, the lower the productivity of a nation and the poorer it will become. The wealth of a nation is not its tangible objects, but its people’s productive capacity. You earn a wage for your labor and you accept money knowing someone else will take it from you “belief”. So is it the money or your labor that has the value?

The key to any currency is its acceptability both public and private. In Roman times, the state routinely reduced weight of gold coins to the point that they were not actually “legal tender” for the taxes owed were imposed by weight, not denomination. Furthermore, they would impose taxes also in kind. So if you did not have gold or silver, they would take livestock and food. Here is a Roman tax collector bar illustrating that the coins were not “legal tender” and were melted down to pay your tax by weight.

Clearly, money can be “fiat money” even when it is a commodity if the state declares its value by regulation and accepts it at that standard. Of course, that was the case in China. Fiat money is currency which derives its value from government regulation or law. The term derives from the Latin fiat (“let it be done”, “it shall be”). It differs from commodity money and representative money. Commodity money is based on some object or commodity, which has been cattle, sea shells, land, rice, wheat, bronze, or a precious metal such as gold or silver. The key was that the object had some utilitarian value or it was desirable and in sufficient quantity to provide a medium of exchange.

So to throw this term around loosely really confuses the issue for it misleads people into thing that somehow a gold standard will solve all problems. Our problem is not what is money, it is government and its endless historical evolution toward corruption. There is nothing new under the sun. We can come up with a solution for now, but eventually the cycle will kick in and we will return to where we are once again. The wheel of fortune always returns to where it began. Because of cycles, there will never be a permanent solution and only a fool would think so like Karl Marx.
    https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/u...ing-this-term/
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-27-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Zippy, what makes it fiat is the fact that it has value at all is by decree, and not the result of market forces. Having the precise value relative to gold or some other commodity is not important in the determination of what is fiat and what is not.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If fiat means what government declares is money- such as the US government saying all transactions should be conducted in dollars- then all money is fiat- whether it is commodity backed or not.

Fiat is a broader term than that. It requires no government, government is merely the main practitioner.

Fiat is merely "by decree". The decree can just as well be a private decree, e.g. "I decree this receipt is backed by this amount of gold". The proof that it is a decree is that no one would consider a piece of paper with writing on it to be the same value as the gold it claims to represent without the presence of a decree - it would just be a piece of worthless paper.

I just found this :

HayekGold, however, does not involve any digital mining. Sure, the physical gold has to be mined in the traditional sense (by digging into the earth!), but the digital tokens can never be created out of thin air. They can only come into existence when real gold is deposited into Anthem Vault.”

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles...ain-1433455153
    Last edited by Son_of_Liberty90; 03-01-2016 at 01:52 AM.