Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So THAT'S Why You Need A Humidifier

So THAT'S Why You Need A Humidifier

I bought a Vicks humidifier but I don't think it works or I'm doing something wrong because I don't see or feel any mist around it.

We often associate winter with dehydrated skin and chapped lips, but there are more health consequences of the season's frigid temps. Believe it or not, winter dryness can affect everything from your teeth to your throat and even contribute to the onset of the flu virus. Yuck.

Luckily, there's a simple solution to these cold weather woes. Using a humidifier at home can help combat winter's negative impact by adding moisture to your living environment.

After consulting with a doctor, dentist, dermatologist and aesthetician, we found that humidity deserves way more credit for positively influencing your health. From opening your nasal passages to relieving dry, itchy skin, check out what the experts have to say about how the devices impact your whole body.

Your Teeth And Mouth

According to celebrity dentist Dr. Sherri Worth, humidifiers help support saliva production, a process that preserves the health of the oral cavity, gums and throat. Staying hydrated also prevents mouth-related soreness: "When the gums and throat become dry, simple things like swallowing can be painful."

Adding moisture to your environment also keeps bacteria build-up at bay and fights dry mouth, a condition that makes you mouth feel constantly parched. A humidifier can help undo the damage of this uncomfortable ailment that can be brought on by stress, medications and diet.

Your Throat And Nasal Passages

"Humidification provides a number of health and comfort benefits such as temporarily relieving chest congestion, soothing a sore throat and helping to alleviate dry, itchy skin," says Dr. Jennifer Trachtenberg, Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at The Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai.

These benefits are especially noticeable at night. Most commonly, humidifiers are used at nighttime for added comfort and improved sleep, notes Dr. Trachtenberg. The devices have also been linked to a decrease in snoring, which is good news for both those personally suffering from the breathing obstruction and the partners who lose shut-eye over their loud bedmates.

Perhaps the most interesting topic mentioned by Dr. Trachtenberg is the relationship between humidifiers and the flu. According to a study published in Environmental Health, humidifiers can help create an environment in which the flu virus cannot thrive: "Homes kept at 40-60 percent relative humidity...are likely to have fewer flu viruses lingering in the air and on surfaces like sink faucets, door handles, and countertops compared to lower relative humidity levels," says Dr. Trachtenberg.

Your Skin

"In the cold and bitter winter months, skin is unable to hold onto moisture in the same way it can during warmer seasons," says Dr. Emily Wise, medical, surgical and cosmetic dermatologist of Krauss Dermatology, a private practice in Wellesley, Massachusetts.

"Both lower humidity in the cold outdoor air and dry heat inside our homes lead to an increase of water loss from the skin," Dr. Wise adds, which, in turn, leaves us feeling itchy and dry. Humidifiers can help replenish this moisture loss and even soothe harsh skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis.

Eliana Restrepo, Skin Therapist at Erno Laszlo, adds that the device's humidification of the air helps the skin "breathe better" by opening up the pores. This is related to a common step in the facial practice when aestheticians use steamers to deeply cleanse the complexion. Better skin with the push of a button? We'll take it.

Once you decide whether you'd like one with cool mist or warm mist, take a look at six humidifiers to try right now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0fbfdd6155882?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is the filter wicking up moisture from the reservoir?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Are you wearing clothes? I'm pretty sure you need to be naked so you can feel the moisture directly on your your skin.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by unconsious767 View Post
    Is the filter wicking up moisture from the reservoir?

I guess not. How do I make it go up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Are you wearing clothes? I'm pretty sure you need to be naked so you can feel the moisture directly on your your skin.
    Of course I'm naked. I even tried putting my clothes on once but it still didn't work.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

When it gets too dry here, I just boil a 5 gal pot of water and keep filling it all day. Humidifies the house extremely well. If I get adventurous I'll even set a fan behind the pot of boiling water to disperse the steam more efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Of course I'm naked. I even tried putting my clothes on once but it still didn't work.
    Wow. I didn't know that it could get so dry that even clothes don't work....

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Wow. I didn't know that it could get so dry that even clothes don't work....
    It's crazy.

I do the water pot downstairs but my bedroom is up 2 flights and on the other side of the house, I doubt I'm getting any moisture up there. Any idea how to get the wick to work on a humidifier? I put water in the thing and left it running all day and nothing happened.

One little humidifier is only going to work for the room it is in.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-22-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    When it gets too dry here, I just boil a 5 gal pot of water and keep filling it all day. Humidifies the house extremely well. If I get adventurous I'll even set a fan behind the pot of boiling water to disperse the steam more efficiently.
    You can toss some spices or fruit peels in there to make the house smell nice at the same time. Keep it at a low simmer instead of boiling, though :P
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Do you have the ultrasonic cool mist variety, or one of the wick-fed varieties? The mist tends to be more visible with the ultrasonic types.
    How much water does it hold and how often do you have to fill it?
    I've got the ultrasonic type, and position it so it blows into the output from a heating duct. You can see the mist until it hits the forced air coming out of the duct.
    The biggest problem I have is keeping it clean and mold free.
    Here's what I have and I did put salt in the water.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vicks-Warm...ingMethod=p13n

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I bought a Vicks humidifier but I don't think it works or I'm doing something wrong because I don't see or feel any mist around it.
    Did you plug it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    One little humidifier is only going to work for the room it is in.
    Yeah, I just want it for my bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Did you plug it in?
    Hardy har har.

If it is the "horrid if something goes wrong" - electrodes-in-the-water type, the purity of the water makes a huge difference.

Add a tiny bit of salt and it will start... more and it will sputter... to much and it will suck too much electricity out of the wall; cord gets hot/melts; blows fuse/breaker; everyone's hair starts on fire within 25 mile perimeter of the blast site!

Don't touch the water while it's plugged in. Change water and rinse. Take out loan to pay you huge electric bill.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    If it is the "horrid if something goes wrong" - electrodes-in-the-water type, the purity of the water makes a huge difference.

Add a tiny bit of salt and it will start... more and it will sputter... to much and it will suck too much electricity out of the wall; cord gets hot/melts; blows fuse/breaker; everyone's hair starts on fire within 25 mile perimeter of the blast site!

Don't touch the water while it's plugged in. Change water and rinse. Take out loan to pay you huge electric bill.
    Oh, that's not good. I have hard water so I put a healthy dash of sea salt in it - I was kind of worried because it was coarse grain, like kosher salt, not fine grain and I put it in cold water. Also, I have it plugged into an electric cord that's plugged into another power strip (I have lots of stuff to plug in on my side of the bed.). Now, I'm kind of worried about it. I left it plugged in for a few days to see if it would work and the top gets warm but no mist comes out.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry, I thought you had another type of vicks vape. I don't know if that has a wick. If it's working, yours should need a refill in 18-24 hrs.

Now you can breathe fluoride too!
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

If purchased new, just return/exchange it.

The humidifier should just have a two wire power cord connected
    directly to two electrodes... no other electrical parts are required.

They do work OK... very simple, low cost device. Too much salt is big trouble!

When the water level is low enough, it stops working because no water
    is in contact with BOTH electrodes. The electrodes eventually wear
    down to unusable, shortened little nubbins..

I think it has a plastic cylinder covering the electrodes.
    There's a deadly shock hazard INSIDE.
    UNPLUG IT BEFORE TOUCHING/INSPECTING.
    It should fill up with water when the vaporizer is filled
    and fully assembled. (It has a small hole? Is the hole plugged?)
    Pull up the assembly and water should be tricking out of it...

+++

...if you have an ohmmeter handy"

Unplug the cord from power in order to avoid electrocution!!!!!!!!!!!
    Test one lead at a time - from either plug blade to salted water,
    and then the other blade to the water.

A 9v battery, resistor and LED could also test for the continuity
    without requiring an ohmmeter.

Even a bit of wire or metal spoons and a 9v battery and you tongue
    as the "detector" could work to test the thing for continuity...

There's a deadly shock hazard INSIDE. UNPLUG IT.
    I did mention UNPLUG IT FROM THE HOUSE POWER FIRST.

I'd take it apart and see what's wrong or just throw it away,
    if it cannot be returned.

a few notes.

Humidity is "Relative" the reason is, that warm air is able to hold more moisture... in suspension, than cold air is.
    this is why when you heat cold air... the relative humidity drops.

the vapor pressure of water is a component of atmospheric pressure.

steam or evaporative humidification is best, as it will leave all of the minerals behind. other types will result in white dust.

humidity seeks it's own level. like a sponge, dry air will suck moisture from anything, the higher the surface area, the greater the rate of evaporation. it you want your bedroom humidified. close the door.

wood is a natural humidifier and also a De-humidifier. it absorbs excess humidity in the summer, and releases it in the winter. this is why wood paneling was popular.

Enthalpy. as the relative humidity of air increases. so does it's total heat content, or enthalpy.
    changes in the total heat content of air. (enthalpy) is the power behind tornadoes and hurricanes.

when you open the door to your freezer... "fog" does not spill out... cold, dry air does.
    and for just a moment... you can see the water in the air!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Even a bit of wire or metal spoons and a 9v battery and you tongue
    as the "detector" could work to test the thing for continuity...
    does this method also work with capacitors? or just "electrodes"

please provide a youtube.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    Humidity is "Relative" the reason is, that warm air is able to hold more moisture... in suspension, than cold air is.
    A "suspension" is solid particles in a liquid, not two co-mingled gasses.

You asked HVAC... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited by FindLiberty; 02-13-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Danke will not need an umbrella?
    to keep his date dry if it precipitates?

will HB lay his coat over the accumulated precipitation?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Now I have to wonder what clouds are.

does this method also work with capacitors? or just "electrodes"

please provide a youtube.
    Depending on the size and voltage of the capacitor, you could make your tongue explode.

You asked HVAC... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That was great. ...."unless you are married."
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Danke will not need an umbrella?
    Why do some people always feel they have to drag me through the mud in these non productive conversations?

At least I have this thread if someone has something positive to say.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ighlight=Danke
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Depending on the size and voltage of the capacitor, you could make your tongue explode.
    suzeanimal is a capacitor?

https://youtu.be/Vn7HjHondI8

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Why do some people always feel they have to drag me through the mud in these non productive conversations?

At least I have this thread if someone has something positive to say.
    well, you will get less static. if.
    you increase your relative humidity.. sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast