Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV: Anybody else watching the USA network's series "Colony?"

TV: Anybody else watching the USA network's series "Colony?"

It's about living in an occupied police state. Some things I find incredulous (they have drones but they don't track individuals with monitoring devices?) But I find it chilling. I think most people watching the show like to believe they'd be part of the resistance, but the reality is that at best they'd go along to get along.

It's pretty discouraging.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Protected and served?

No but it sounds like something I would watch. I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The first 5 episodes are here if anyone's interested.

http://www.usanetwork.com/colony
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    The first 5 episodes are here if anyone's interested.

http://www.usanetwork.com/colony
    If they have the "Behind The Wall" commentary up, i suggest watching it After the first episode I was sort of confused about tht was going on, but that clarified it for me.

Side note - it takes me forever to learn the names of the characters. Talking to my husband, "The woman who plyed Rick's wife on The Walking Dead" and "the woman who used to be on Picket Fences."

Meet the Bowmans...er, Sullivans

In the Los Angeles bloc, four-fifths of the Bowman family -- father Will (Josh Holloway), mother Katie (Sarah Wayne Callies), son Bram (Alex Neustaedter), and daughter Gracie (Isabella Crovetti-Cramp) -- hide in plain sight from the Redhats, the foot soldiers who enforce the laws of land.

During the Arrival, anyone who had worked in law enforcement was rounded up, but Will -- a former war hero and special agent with the FBI -- managed to take on a new low-profile identity as a mechanic named Will Sullivan. Though Will has avoided capture, keeping his family safe and their home mostly in tact (we have to assume that the barbed-wire fence around their Echo Park Spanish-style home was not an aesthetic choice), the other fifth of the their family is missing. He’s Charlie, the middle child, and he’s thought to still be in the Santa Monica bloc where he had been on the day of the Arrival.
    Hmm, so a former member of the enforcement class is magically transformed into one of the oppressed.

is it worth watching? seen commercials but thats it
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I'm going to give it a shot. It's scaring angela and she doesn't seem like the type that's easily scared so I reckon it's worth a look.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FYI, the pilot is only on the above link until the 19th. If you're interested, I suggest you go ahead and watch.

S1 EP1
    PILOT

AIRED ON 01/14/2016
    AVAILABLE UNTIL 02/19/2016
    In the short 10 months that it has been living under the Occupation, L.A. has changed quite a bit. After an event known as the Arrival takes hold of the city, its inhabitants find themselves under strict rule where everyone must abide by a curfew, forgo essential medical supplies, ration their food, ride bicycles, and subject themselves to constant surveillance. The worst part about it? The laws of the Colony are enforced by their fellow Angelenos who collaborate with their new “Hosts” for their own benefit -- cushier digs, more freedom, and safety for themselves and their families. Anyone who resists the rules will be arrested and sent to the Factory, and it’s pretty obvious this factory has nothing to do with cheesecake.
    http://www.usanetwork.com/colony/videos/pilot-0
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 02-13-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Just found it On Demand. Josh Holloway? Mm mm mm. I'm in.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Watched the pilot. Pretty good.

the occupiers are aliens

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Watch the first scene of Ep 4, if you want a hint of what's going on.

I like Broussard, he doesn't $#@! around. Katie played by Sarah Wayne Callies AKA the "show wrecker" I hope she dies soon before she wrecks this show like she did to Prison Break.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

my first thought: is that the wall trump is gonna get the Mexicans to build?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Watch the first scene of Ep 4, if you want a hint of what's going on.
    I can't, after episode three I was instructed to sign in with my cable provider. I don't have one of those....

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I like Broussard, he doesn't $#@! around. Katie played by Sarah Wayne Callies AKA the "show wrecker" I hope she dies soon before she wrecks this show like she did to Prison Break.
    ha...atleast she didnt wreck The Walking Dead, which already started to become awful after 2 seasons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't, after episode three I was instructed to sign in with my cable provider. I don't have one of those....
    Primewire. But only if you have good pop up blockers and anti-adware installed.

The new government was able to determine who would support them, as well as who was an enemy by using the information they compiled from the databases that are routinely collected.

I've been watching sporadically.. downloading it (katdotcr)

I keep hoping to see the "hosts" I'm hoping for some really off the wall make up creations. It does look like they're heading for an alien invasion theme.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I've been watching sporadically.. downloading it (katdotcr)

I keep hoping to see the "hosts" I'm hoping for some really off the wall make up creations. It does look like they're heading for an alien invasion theme.
    I bet they turn out to be humans.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I get very uncomfortable about these shows it's difficult to articulate. I don't want to say they're preprogramming (Or "Predictive programming") our minds for a similar scenario to come, but it just seems excessive when we already have perfectly great totalitarian fiction a la 1984 and "Brave New World."

I am still wondering why we have not gotten a "Brave New World" movie/mini series yet. My guess is because we are living in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Liberty90 View Post
    I get very uncomfortable about these shows it's difficult to articulate. I don't want to say they're preprogramming (Or "Predictive programming") our minds for a similar scenario to come, but it just seems excessive when we already have perfectly great totalitarian fiction a la 1984 and "Brave New World."

I am still wondering why we have not gotten a "Brave New World" movie/mini series yet. My guess is because we are living in one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080468/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145600

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It's about living in an occupied police state. Some things I find incredulous (they have drones but they don't track individuals with monitoring devices?) But I find it chilling. I think most people watching the show like to believe they'd be part of the resistance, but the reality is that at best they'd go along to get along.

It's pretty discouraging.
    For most of the people on this planet this is a history. Most people chose to "collaborate" under these circumstances. Americans have not been made to make these choices yet, but in a not so distant future this is going to be the reality and the choices that will be made under these circumstances might be surprising to some but hardly unexpected given the human nature.

Keep the faith.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    For most of the people on this planet this is a history. Most people chose to "collaborate" under these circumstances. Americans have not been made to make these choices yet, but in a not so distant future this is going to be the reality and the choices that will be made under these circumstances might be surprising to some but hardly unexpected given the human nature.

Keep the faith.
    I honestly hope I am brave enough to take a bullet and just be done with all of it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So far they seem to be getting more done via working with the collaborators than the resistance, the little weasel dude is full of $#@! though- he thinks he's a knight, but he's really a pawn.

Judging from the rep, the ladies here like Josh as much as I do.

DH has the flu and is convalescing, so I think I'll start this series today.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Just watched all that's out thus far. Pretty good.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Looks like it was a mediocre TV production, and not well received by users. I'm talking about a modern, big budget adaptation that holds a mirror to our society and where we are headed.

The guy that plays the husband is such a bad actor. He belongs in a hallmark movie.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    The guy that plays the husband is such a bad actor. He belongs in a hallmark movie.
    He has lines?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast