Thread: Trump has supported nearly all of Obama’s economic policy agenda

Trump has supported nearly all of Obama’s economic policy agenda

http://www.redstate.com/diary/southe...policy-agenda/

In July, Donald Trump made a statement about the 2008 financial crisis that left many conservatives perplexed:

“I identify with some things as a Democrat…I was never a Bush fan. [When] the economy crashed so horribly under George Bush, because of mistakes they made having to do with banking and lots of other things, I don’t think the Democrats would have done that.”

Now to be sure, there is plenty of blame to be spread around. Both parties in Congress, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Wall Street, the Federal Reserve, and even the American public all contributed to the crisis.

But if Trump thinks that the Democrats were not to blame, well, I will refer him to Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.

Trump’s statement prompted me to research what he thought about the economy-and proposals to fix it-during the end of Bush’s term and the beginning of Obama’s term (of which he had high hopes):

We have a young, vibrant, smart president who, I think, is going to do a really good job.

And, honestly, he has to do a really good job or this country maybe will never be the same. We had eight years of a horrendous president, a terrible president. You cannot get worse than Bush. And I really believe that Obama will be a great president, and I hope he is.

Anyway, I found out that Donald Trump supported the bank bailouts.

“Now, I did not know about a $700 billion bailout, in all fairness. And I think probably, it is something — it’s sad, but, probably, it’s something that has to get done, because your financial system is most likely going to come to a halt if it does not. So, it is a pretty sad day for this country.”

And the auto bailouts:

“I think the government should stand behind them 100 percent. You cannot lose the auto companies. They’re great. They make wonderful products.”

He really liked the stimulus package:

“I thought he did a terrific job,” Trump told Fox News’s Greta Van Susteren. “This is a strong guy knows what he wants, and this is what we need.”

“First of all, I thought he did a great job tonight,” said Trump. “I thought he was strong and smart, and it looks like we have somebody that knows what he is doing finally in office, and he did inherit a tremendous problem. He really stepped into a mess, Greta.”

Van Susteren then asked Trump if a simple payroll tax holiday might be a better way to stimulate the flagging economy. Trump, however, held firm in his support for Obama’s plan, which he praised for the wide breadth of approaches it took to combatting the crisis.

“Well, I think taxes are very good. I think it goes quickly. It is easily done, and etc., etc.,” Trump told Van Susteren, “but building infrastructure, building great projects, putting people to work in that sense is also very good, so I think you have a combination of both plus he is doing a rebate system and I think that is good also.”

Despite concerns with the cost, he liked Obama’s healthcare plan:

VAN SUSTEREN: What is your thought about the health care reform that is being at least proposed, at this point?

TRUMP: Well, I think it’s noble, except I just don’t know how a country that’s in such debt — we are really a debtor nation right now, and I just don’t know how a country in this kind of trouble can afford it. It’s very — I love the idea, but can this country afford it? Will it destroy the country? Will it destroy other people that have been paying into health care for years? I mean, will that destroy other people? It’s a very, very tough situation. I love it from many standpoints, but can this country afford it? And maybe this isn’t the right time.

(By the way, Trump IS and HAS been a fan of Obama’s ideal healthcare system: single payer)

How about Obama’s longstanding obsession with progressive taxation? Trump agrees:

“The one problem I have with the flat tax is that rich people are paying the same as people that are making very little money,” he said. “And I think there should be a graduation of some kind. Because as you make a certain amount of money, I think you should have to graduate upward.”

How about “protecting ” Social Security and Medicare from financially responsible and necessary reform? Trump won’t touch them either:

“Every Republican wants to do a big number on Social Security, they want to do it on Medicare, they want to do it on Medicaid. And we can’t do that. And it’s not fair to the people that have been paying in for years and now all of the sudden they want to be cut.”

Throw in his misunderstanding of the economic effects of immigration and free trade, and the current GOP front-runner is one confused man when it comes to the economy.

Of course Trump understands the real estate and entertainment businesses. But his skill in those areas clearly has not translated to a broader understanding of free market principles.

If Republican voters care about those principles, more than say, bluster, it will only be a matter of time before Trump fades. Otherwise, and it is a very real possibility, the GOP just may nominate another candidate who represents more of the same economic failures of the past.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You aren't gonna knock Trump down by using these types of attacks. Such attacks miss the whole point on why he is popular.

I think the best way to attack him at this point is going to be sheer mockery.

Chester Copperpot

trumps getting my vote now.. yay.. thanks brett

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    trumps getting my vote now.. yay.. thanks brett
    I take it you voted for Obama as well then.

Cruz defended the stimulus in 2009. He was a partner making 1 mil a year, he could have refused to take the case, but he didn't.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...timulus-lawyer

Also, cruz refused to show up for the audit the fed vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gh34 View Post
    Cruz defended the stimulus in 2009. He was a partner making 1 mil a year, he could have refused to take the case, but he didn't.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...timulus-lawyer

Also, cruz refused to show up for the audit the fed vote.
    I don't think that means that Cruz actually would've voted for it in the Senate. He has a voting record in the Senate of voting against big spending bills like that.

Red State has been hellbent on bringing down Trump since his first blowout with Megyn Kelly. They were never kind to the Pauls either. I'm gonna go ahead and brush off their bull$#@! character attacks.

In a statement to Mother Jones, a spokeswoman for Cruz said that the future senator was merely doing his job representing the Texas Retired Teachers Association with his 2009 brief. "The stimulus legislation had already been enacted, and Cruz quoted the legislative findings and argued that his clients satisfied the statutory requirements for funding," the spokeswoman, Catherine Frazier, said. "As a policy matter, Sen. Cruz disagreed with the stimulus, and were he then in the Senate, he would have voted against it. But after it was passed, Cruz argued that it should be implemented pursuant to the explicit requirements of federal law."
    That's far different from Trump actually saying that it was a good idea.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovecraftian4Paul View Post
    Red State has been hellbent on bringing down Trump since his first blowout with Megyn Kelly. They were never kind to the Pauls either. I'm gonna go ahead and brush off their bull$#@! character attacks.
    It's all out in the open for people to see. These are all statements made by Trump. And the person who wrote the article is a member of this forum, Taft Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    That's far different from Trump actually saying that it was a good idea.
    He defended it in court, he chose to take the case and make the argument. He didn't need to, he was making more than enough and was a partner.

He defended it in court, he chose to take the case and make the argument. He didn't need to, he was making more than enough and was a partner.
    Yeah. That is what lawyers do. They take clients and make arguments for them. I have no idea what more than enough means. Sounds Marxist. Faulting a lawyer for making what they see as the strongest argument is absurd. The same applies for Hillary Clinton when she got a guilty child molester acquitted. Nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Yeah. That is what lawyers do. They take clients and make arguments for them. I have no idea what more than enough means. Sounds Marxist. Faulting a lawyer for making what they see as the strongest argument is absurd. The same applies for Hillary Clinton when she got a guilty child molester acquitted. Nothing wrong with it.
    Difference between a Criminal and Civil case. Cruz set a precedent that justified the stimulus altogether.

Difference between a Criminal and Civil case. Cruz set a precedent that justified the stimulus altogether.
    His job is win money for his client. That is his job. That is what his clients are paying him for. His job isn't to inject his personal feeling and opinions into the case. It is solely to make the strongest argument to get his clients paid. I cannot believe anyone would see something wrong with that.

His job is win money for his client. That is his job. That is what his clients are paying him for. His job isn't to inject his personal feeling and opinions into the case. It is solely to make the strongest argument to get his clients paid. I cannot believe anyone would see something wrong with that.
    In a world where there is no right or wrong, you might have a point.

In civil court, cases like that set precedents, which higher courts are forced to follow. Big difference.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I take it you voted for Obama as well then.
    Of course not.. i just dont think your criticism of trump is sincere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Of course not.. i just dont think your criticism of trump is sincere.
    He's an admitted open Ted Cruz supporter. How are people like that not banned when Trump supporters are here? He even previously promised in a previous exchange that he would refuse to talk about Cruz again, but then after having seen Cruz repeatedly attacked here, he said that he decided he would post again to defend Cruz. What do the mods have to say about this?

Chester Copperpot

He's an admitted open Ted Cruz supporter. How are people like that not banned when Trump supporters are here? He even previously promised in a previous exchange that he would refuse to talk about Cruz again, but then after having seen Cruz repeatedly attacked here, he said that he decided he would post again to defend Cruz. What do the mods have to say about this?
    i dont see how any ron or rand paul supporter could support cruz

So people who have Cruz as their second choice should be banned, while Trump supporters should be allowed to post here? I'm glad you're in favor of allowing such an open and free exchange of ideas. It's also funny how a guy with 33 posts is calling for people to be banned who have over 20,000 posts here.

I stopped reading at "redstate.com". I hate those guys with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic