Thread: Arizona has a ban on potlucks.

Arizona has a ban on potlucks.

They shouldn't be banned at all, for crying out loud.

https://reason.com/blog/2016/02/11/y...right-to-green

Here's what happens when poorly written laws meet jerk-ass neighbors. The state of Arizona's food regulations exempt certain common private social functions from having to comply with all the safety requirements. These are common in most states. But for some reason, the exemption for private noncommercial potlucks only applies to workplaces. It is actually illegal in the state of Arizona to have a private potluck at home. You cannot bring your own dip made from mixing a ranch dressing packet into a tub of cream cheese to the neighbor's Super Bowl party.

One would imagine that the police and health departments probably don't go around looking for potlucks to bust up, and one would be correct. However, there's always that jerk. At Golden Acres Mobile Home Park in Apache Junction, one crank who somehow knew this one quirk in the law actually complained about community potlucks and got them shut down.

Because of that jerk, now Arizona State Rep. Kelly Townsend (R-Mesa) now has to go through the work to get the law changed and pushed back through the legislature and signed by the governor. It is HB2341-"potlucks; regulation exemption." All the bill does is simply strike out the part of the potluck rule that says "that takes place in a workplace" (and also replaces all occurrences of "assure" with "ensure" in the food regulations).

Because of the lawmaking process, it will probably take until at least summer until potlucks in Arizona become fully legal. So if you're one of those jerk neighbors in Arizona and the family down the street is playing loud music too late, keep an eye on when they've got a party and you're not invited. You know what to do.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good grief.

Reminds me of the cops busting up a home barbecue because it was illegal for the smell to leave their yard.
    There is no spoon.

Potluck is a gateway drug.channeling bmx042
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Potluck is a gateway drug.channeling bmx042
    It got me addicted to hummus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Old ladies around here call them Pitch Ins and if you show up and tell them they are banned they will probably stab you in the heart with a pair of scissors since it is not polite to shoot strangers

I'm glad I'm not young, really. I don't think my soul can take much more.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Old ladies around here call them Pitch Ins and if you show up and tell them they are banned they will probably stab you in the heart with a pair of scissors since it is not polite to shoot strangers
    LOL! That's the truth. I was picturing the ladies at my mom's senior workout having a conniption fit over "Lunch and Learn" without the lunch. They don't give a $#@! about the learn part; they just go to one up each other on potato salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    LOL! That's the truth. I was picturing the ladies at my mom's senior workout having a conniption fit over "Lunch and Learn" without the lunch. They don't give a $#@! about the learn part; they just go to one up each other on potato salad.
    This makes perfect sense to me , good potato salad and lemonade , beer or moonshine beats the hell outa some gubmit learnin'

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.