Thread: Obama Caves To Neocons - Military Spending To Skyrocket

Obama Caves To Neocons - Military Spending To Skyrocket

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will WW3 be covered "live" on cable Pay Per View, or will it come right into my home through the air?

I'd like to have a choice...

Just wait till Rubio wins....then you can double down on Obamas double down on top of Bush's double down.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    Will WW3 be covered "live" on cable Pay Per View, or will it come right into my home through the air?

I'd like to have a choice...
    Youd mean like 3D?
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Obama IS a neocon and always has been. His foreign policy actions are irrefutable evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Obama IS a neocon and always has been. His foreign policy actions are irrefutable evidence.
    Yeah, I was going to say that. He definitely didn't "cave" in this instance.

Washington's dirty little secret.

Congress writes the budgets- not the President. He can suggest things but they have to write it and work out the details.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The thread title implies that Obama doesn't want military spending to skyrocket.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/us...plan.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — President Obama’s final defense budget acknowledges that despite his oft-repeated pledge to end two protracted, costly and exhausting conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, the country’s military will remain on war fronts when he departs the White House.

Mr. Obama’s request would keep the Pentagon budget largely flat, with a base defense budget of $524 billion in the 2017 fiscal year, a slight decrease from this year’s base spending of $534 billion.

But that small decrease would be offset by $59 billion to pay for military operations in the conflicts in Iraq and Syria, as well as the continued American presence in Afghanistan, alongside a new emerging threat: Russia. That is up from $51 billion for overseas operations in the current fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30.

The proposal increases spending on the fight against the Islamic State to $7.5 billion from $5 billion, a 50 percent rise. Included in the request for money to fight the Islamic State is $200 million in new spending to confront the Sunni militant extremist group in North and West Africa, defense officials said. While the officials declined to specify which countries would receive the funding, military experts pointed to Libya.

Over all, that puts the Pentagon budget — second only to Social Security in the federal budget — at $583 billion in 2017, about $1 billion short of 2016.

Congressional Republicans immediately demanded more. While last year’s congressional budget deal set Pentagon funding guidelines for 2016 and 2017, Republicans said those guidelines, particularly for war funding, were a floor and not a ceiling.

“An adequate national defense requires significantly more funding,” Representative Mac Thornberry of Texas, the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said in a letter to the House Budget Committee that was signed by 33 other House Republicans. Mr. Thornberry suggested that House Republicans might “insist upon” $15 billion to $23 billion more.