Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rand Paul Campaign Manager Signs Up With Marco Rubio

From one losing campaign to another that doesn't even share the same principles at all. Working for political campaigns is apparently no different than being panhandler on the street. I'd rather be a 2 dollar whore than be Chip Englander.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Rand had a competent campaign staff? Fooled me. These professionals stole millions from us for Rand to run a dud campaign that was doomed from the start.
    Do you have any evidence (like campaign financial disclosures) that any of Rand's staff were being paid more than the going rate in the business?

...or are you just assuming that they were doing something unethical, because the campaign didn't go as well as you'd hoped?

I don't get it. I mean, I can stomach him jumping to Team Cruz or Team Carson. I still wouldn't like it, but at least Cruz is SEMI-close to Rand's stances. Rubio, on the other hand...WTF?!
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

Quote Originally Posted by groverblue View Post
    I'm sorry, but after 10 years of being shafted by the establishment neocons, I have little room in my heart and mind for anyone who willingly works to help them. As far as I'm concerned, both Vince Harris and Chip Englander are traitors. Like the saying goes: you're either with or you're against us. They've made their choice.
    Vince Harris is a Southern Baptist, so Ted Cruz is a good fit for him. I'll let that one slide.

However, Chip going to Team Marco...that's a slap in the face. I'm sure Rand is pissed.

This is WORSE than Jesse Benton.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post

From one losing campaign to another that doesn't even share the same principles at all. Working for political campaigns is apparently no different than being panhandler on the street. I'd rather be a 2 dollar whore than be Chip Englander.
    Yeah, sort of. A trial lawyer will advocate vigorously for a client in an attempt to get the jurors to vote a certain way. The lawyer doesn't necessarily believe the narrative he constructs of the client, but (a good lawyer) will usually be able to sell it nonetheless. Even a lawyer will usually hire another lawyer to represent him, because there are certain disadvantages to arguing his own case that stem from being emotionally invested to the client's narrative.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Ok, please explain to me how the campaign held back the grassroots. Details please, I don't recall them doing anything to hold us back.
    If the campaign = the candidate; then supporting the Iran nuclear deal, Snowden immunity, and legalizing marijuana to name a few. There are probably more that I'm not remembering but these positions against all of the above seem to have dampened his support from the grassroots.
    Last edited by fr33; 02-11-2016 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    I don't get it. I mean, I can stomach him jumping to Team Cruz or Team Carson. I still wouldn't like it, but at least Cruz is SEMI-close to Rand's stances. Rubio, on the other hand...WTF?!
    Hey, at least Rubio voted for Audit the Fed unlike Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Yeah, sort of. A trial lawyer will advocate vigorously for a client in an attempt to get the jurors to vote a certain way. The lawyer doesn't necessarily believe the narrative he constructs of the client, but (a good lawyer) will usually be able to sell it nonetheless. Even a lawyer will usually hire another lawyer to represent him, because there are certain disadvantages to arguing his own case that stem from being emotionally invested to the client's narrative.
    Give me a break. Even lawyers are more respectable than neocon campaign managers. We can agree that everyone deserves a fair trial. But we won't agree if you think that neocon globalists like Rubio deserves campaign help or that those who help him are respectable at all.

Just goes to show that the only one who can be trusted to run liberty-movement campaigns is the Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    these are just jobs to these guys...they want a paycheck not liberty.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

well, the joke's on Rubio. I don't know of anyone who makes the decision to support a candidate based on who they have on their staff roster.

The logic behind hiring on a Rand Paul staffer so that Rubio can try to tap into the libertarian vote, defies . . . logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    well, the joke's on Rubio. I don't know of anyone who makes the decision to support a candidate based on who they have on their staff roster.

The logic behind hiring on a Rand Paul staffer so that Rubio can try to tap into the libertarian vote, defies . . . logic.
    The rube didn't hire a Rand staffer, Rand hired a rube operative as a staffer. Wouldn't this be the guy responsible for turning out all those students in IA to supposedly vote for Rand, who mysteriously voted for the rube instead? Yeah, this news is really surprising, isn't it? He's simply being further rewarded for the well done job that he did on Rand's campaign in IA.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    The rube didn't hire a Rand staffer, Rand hired a rube operative as a staffer. Wouldn't this be the guy responsible for turning out all those students in IA to supposedly vote for Rand, who mysteriously voted for the rube instead? Yeah, this news is really surprising, isn't it? He's simply being further rewarded for the well done job that he did on Rand's campaign in IA.
    That actually is the most logical/reasonable explanation in the thread imo, especially given those tweets posted. Like I said, playing the inside-the-beltway game isn't going to work.
    Last edited by devil21; 02-11-2016 at 04:50 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Every campaign has this kind of staffer, including every campaign doing better than Rand did.

Oh, and Iowa 10K was all Doug Stafford's idea. Englander was a meh campaign manager but he wasn't in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Just leave it to the "professionals" they said.....lol.
    All you "true believer" kooks need to stay away, they said...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    Just goes to show that the only one who can be trusted to run liberty-movement campaigns is the Collins.
    Thread winner.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Give me a break. Even lawyers are more respectable than neocon campaign managers. We can agree that everyone deserves a fair trial. But we won't agree if you think that neocon globalists like Rubio deserves campaign help or that those who help him are respectable at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    these are just jobs to these guys...they want a paycheck not liberty.
    Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    The rube didn't hire a Rand staffer, Rand hired a rube operative as a staffer. . . .
    Like the assassin . . . (from 4:00 min mark on)
    "What I do is not a bad occupation, someone is always willing to pay"
    "There is no need to believe in either side - or any side - there is no cause - there is only yourself"

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-11-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Good people don't work for candidates like Kasich or Rubio.
    Or McConnell?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    That's a pretty pathetic outlook. You expect people with libertarians to only work with and associate with those who share their beliefs? If that's the case, why was Rand Paul trying to expand beyond the GOP base instead of just sticking to his crowd? You don't get hired based on just your beliefs. MSNBC and FOX certainly don't screen applicants for their political beliefs- that I know from experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    So just to make sure, you never do any business with non-libertarians and you've certainly never worked for any non-libertarians, correct? Because every dollar you spend is a vote and every hour you give to an employer who is not a libertarian just furthers their cause, right?
    Guys, if you can go campaign for a supposedly libertarian candidate then jump to campaign for a total statist, you are a person of little or no principle and not a friend of liberty.

I (probably?) work for a non-libertarian and that's irrelevant- my boss is not running a statist campaign... he is in the business of voluntarily selling products and services to thousands of individuals. If I go take a job at the Brookings Institution then you can call me a hypocrite.

This whole "just trying to make a living" argument has the same foul odor of "just following orders" and other excuses used to explain working for evil causes.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Rand had competent staff, professionals, and now they're moving onto their next job.
    That's not obvious. The campaign started with strong polling and rode it down to oblivion.
    Last edited by K466; 02-11-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    "Gradualism in theory is perpetuity in practice." ~ William Lloyd Garrison
    STRATEGY: Three Essential Guidelines for the Liberty Movement

Liberty Policy Journal
    Striking at the Root

Quote Originally Posted by K466 View Post
    Guys, if you can go campaign for a supposedly libertarian candidate then jump to campaign for a total statist, you are a person of little or no principle and not a friend of liberty.

I (probably?) work for a non-libertarian and that's irrelevant- my boss is not running a statist campaign... he is in the business of voluntarily selling products and services to thousands of individuals. If I go take a job at the Brookings Institution then you can call me a hypocrite.

This whole "just trying to make a living" argument has the same foul odor of "just following orders" and other excuses for evil actions of the state.

That's not obvious. The campaign started with strong polling and rode it down to oblivion.
    The majority of these guys and the majority of the electorate have a different notion of good and evil than the majority of people who post on RPFs.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K466 View Post
    What makes you think that Rand's staffers were hired for their ideology in the first place? I don't know about you but I have hired people in the past and while it's nice for them to share similar world views as I, as long as they'll be good at their job and will be an asset to the team I don't give a $#@! what they think politically.

Also what you consider statist is not a reflection of what everyone else believes. It's quite possible that Chip believes Rubio is the best candidate left standing. Hell, I might even like Rubio more than Cruz at this point (not that I'll be voting for or supporting either). And Vincent Harris might believe in Cruz the most now. That's just reality.

Quote Originally Posted by K466;
    I thought voting was voluntary... These candidates are not forcing anyone to vote for them. If the public votes for them, that's ultimately on them - not the staffers.

Quote Originally Posted by K466;
    This whole "just trying to make a living" argument has the same foul odor of "just following orders" and other excuses used to explain working for evil causes.
    Apples and oranges IMO. The issue of morality in this comparison isn't even close.

Listen, we'll never achieve anything politically if we burn every bridge we've ever had simply because most people don't pass the purity test that those of us here would like. We will never turn the masses to our beliefs. It's not gunna happen. The only way we succeed is by having the right messages at the right time with the right people and the right talent. Unfortunately that wasn't this time. Even when that happens, only a very small slice of our population will share our beliefs. But when that time comes we will need successful and talented campaign staff to get us there and surprisingly, some may not be libertarians.

Quote Originally Posted by freejack View Post
    People need jobs folks. There aren't that many libertarian candidates to work for. Give them a break.
    This is the original post I replied to. I doubt there was much consideration of staff ideology. And that's probably not a good thing at all. I'm certainly not going to give these operatives a break, call them good guys, etc. They are only friends of liberty when they get a paycheck for it. I say that makes you a sorry person. If you can't make money as a libertarian political operative you need to find an additional/alternate line of work rather than saying your only option is going to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    I thought voting was voluntary... These candidates are not forcing anyone to vote for them. If the public votes for them, that's ultimately on them - not the staffers.
    You're trying to equate [trading with a non-libertarian running a non-political business] to [trading with a non-libertarian running an anti-libertarian business]. That makes no sense.
    Last edited by K466; 02-11-2016 at 07:13 PM.
    "Gradualism in theory is perpetuity in practice." ~ William Lloyd Garrison
    STRATEGY: Three Essential Guidelines for the Liberty Movement

Liberty Policy Journal
    Striking at the Root

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Or McConnell?
    Referring to Benton? Is Collins a Benton supporter?
    Sanity Check Radio Show
    http://www.SanityCheckRadioShow.com

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Do you have any evidence (like campaign financial disclosures) that any of Rand's staff were being paid more than the going rate in the business?

...or are you just assuming that they were doing something unethical, because the campaign didn't go as well as you'd hoped?
    Maybe referring to the campaign store that was run by a third party for profit? Rand saying, and Stafford, they were in it for the long run and he wasn't dropping out?
    Maybe a reference to 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by groverblue View Post
    Referring to Benton? Is Collins a Benton supporter?
    Maybe this guy is just "holding his nose", like Benton? Maybe this is his 2020 plan for Rand?
    Didn't Benton hold his nose to really benefit Rand in 2016? I'm not sure of the benefit but there is absolutely no way Collins can be a Benton supporter. Benton can't be a good guy according to Collins, because Benton worked for McConnell.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the campaign manager would have made the difference between what we saw happen and becoming President in 2016.

Ron Paul was the only anti-establishment candidate in 2008 in the GOP field. The Dems had Gravel and Kucinich, but they were eliminated early on. So RP ended up with nearly 100% of the anti-establishment vote that year. Ron Paul was also the only anti-establishment, running in 2012, in both political parties. He also received 90% of the anti-establishment vote that year, with maybe Gingrich taking a small share. Other people caught on to how effective this worked, took note, and implemented this in their plans for 2016.

In 2016, the anti-establishment vote was greatly diluted, with 3-4 candidates aggressively going for that audience. We know this now by seeing how much of the RP support in the counties he won have now gone to both Trump and Cruz. It's debatable whether these people truly are anti-establishment or not, but that's a debate left for another thread.

I think if Rand runs the same campaign in 2012, he does far far better than 5% in Iowa and being forced to drop out.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic