Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning Cash: Serfdom in Our Time

Banning Cash: Serfdom in Our Time

Banning Cash: Serfdom in Our Time

FREEMANSPERSPECTIVE

· Feb 9th, 2016

BanningCash

Over the last few months a stream of articles have crossed my screen, all proclaiming the need of governments and banks to eliminate cash. I’m sure you’ve noticed them too.

It is terrorists and other assorted madmen, we are told, who use cash. And so, to protect us from being blown up and dismembered on our very own street corners, governments will have to ban it.

It would actually take some effort to imagine a more obvious, naked attempt at fearmongering. Cash – in daily use for centuries if not millennia – is now, suddenly, the agent of spring-loaded, instant death? And we’re supposed to just accept that line?

But there are good reasons why the insiders are promoting these stories now. The first of them, perhaps, is simply that they can: After 9/11, a massive wave of compliance surged through the West. It may not last forever, but it’s still rolling, and if the entertainment corporations can pump enough fear into minds that want to believe, they may just get them to buy it.

The second reason, however, is the real driver:

Negative Interest Rates

The urgency of their move to ban one of the longest-lasting pillars of daily life means that the backroom elites think it will be necessary soon. It would appear that the central banks, the IMF, the World Bank, the BIS, and all their backers, see the elimination of cash as a central survival strategy.

The reason is simple: cash would allow people to escape from the one thing that could save their larcenous currency system: negative interest rates.

To make this clear, I like to paraphrase a famous (and good) quote from Alan Greenspan, back from 1966, during his Ayn Randian days: The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.

That was a true statement, and with a slight modification, it succinctly explains the new war on cash:

The preservation of an insolvent currency system requires that the owners of currency have no way to protect it.

Cash is currency that you hold in your own hands, that stands more or less alone. It is primarily external to bank control. Electronic money – bank balances, credit, etc. – remains inside the banking system and fully subject to bank control.

A combination of no cash and negative interest rates would be a quiet, permanent version of what was done in Cyprus, where the government simply shut down everything, allowed only the smallest deductions via ATMs, and then stole money from thousands of bank accounts at once.

The Cypriot spectacle was fairly large, however, and that tends to undermine the legitimacy of rulership. So, it is much better to have no ATMs and no cash at all. There would be no lines of angry people talking to each other, only isolated losers with no recourse, licking their wounds while the talking heads on television tell them to stay calm and watch the flashing images.

Negative interest rates would give the banks 100% control over your purchases. They could, even in the worst pinch, allow you to purchase food while freezing the rest of your money. The average person would have no recourse and would simply be robbed… but very smoothly and with no human face to blame on.

Negative interest rates mean that your bank account shrinks day by day, automatically. Your $1000 in January becomes $950 by December. And where does that money go? To the banks, of course, and to the government. They syphon your money away, drip by drip, and there’s nothing you can do about it. This accomplishes several things for them at once:

It finances government, limitlessly and automatically. Forget tax filings; they can just take as they please.

It pays off the bad debt of the big banks. (And there are oceans of debt.)

It forces you to spend everything you’ve got, as soon as you get it. (Otherwise it will shrink.)

It gives the system full control over your financial life. Everything is monitored, everything is tracked, and every single transaction must be approved by them (or not). If they decide they don’t like you, you’re instantly reduced to begging.

In short, this is a direct return to serfdom.

I suggest that you start talking to your friends and neighbors about this now, before it’s too late. Don’t let them comply without a fight.

Paul Rosenberg

www.freemansperspective.com

Mark of the beast on the horizon, anyone?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the main reasons they wish to eliminate cash, is to have the ability to track every purchase you make. No more of those days when you build or fix something, get paid by cash and use it at the grocery store or a service you received, and of course forget to include it in your tax return. That's all it is, they want to keep tabs on every thing we do and every move we make.

I haven't used cash in over 15 years. Nobody here does. Only time I have used it is when I visit America. Its like going back in time.

Yet some how Americans are way more oppressed.

Its actually really extremely convenient. No carrying coins around, no really gross money handling. Need to split a cheque you just do it all by mobile phone. No credit cards ever, just direct and instant account to account transactions.

Stores never have any cash in the till to steal. They don't have to make large cash deposits at banks.

The whole issue is bull$#@! and designed to distract you from the fact you already lost all your freedom. "I HAVE CASH THOUGH! I'M FREE!" The soviets and Chinese had cash you $#@!wits.

Dying in the gulags they were still using cash.

This is almost as $#@!tarded as thinking gold isn't a global currency.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

It's not going to happen, if for no other reason than technology isn't advanced enough to instantaneously handle system glitches. I've experienced, on at least two occasions, systems being down when I'm making a purchase, which required me to pull out cash.

In addition, there will always be gray and black markets. There will always be people who have 'opted out' of the forced income tax system. Bartering only goes so far, silver and gold, other precious and semi precious metals will never lose their value and will always be the back-up currency. Currency has and always will be necessary within a civilized system.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Saw this 1988 Economist cover making the rounds:

https://socioecohistory.wordpress.co...mist-magazine/

THIRTY years from now, Americans, Japanese, Europeans, and people in many other rich countries, and some relatively poor ones will probably be paying for their shopping with the same currency. Prices will be quoted not in dollars, yen or D-marks but in, let’s say, the phoenix. The phoenix will be favoured by companies and shoppers because it will be more convenient than today’s national currencies, which by then will seem a quaint cause of much disruption to economic life in the last twentieth century.

At the beginning of 1988 this appears an outlandish prediction. Proposals for eventual monetary union proliferated five and ten years ago, but they hardly envisaged the setbacks of 1987. The governments of the big economies tried to move an inch or two towards a more managed system of exchange rates – a logical preliminary, it might seem, to radical monetary reform. For lack of co-operation in their underlying economic policies they bungled it horribly, and provoked the rise in interest rates that brought on the stock market crash of October. These events have chastened exchange-rate reformers. The market crash taught them that the pretence of policy co-operation can be worse than nothing, and that until real co-operation is feasible (i.e., until governments surrender some economic sovereignty) further attempts to peg currencies will flounder.

The new world economy
    The biggest change in the world economy since the early 1970’s is that flows of money have replaced trade in goods as the force that drives exchange rates. as a result of the relentless integration of the world’s financial markets, differences in national economic policies can disturb interest rates (or expectations of future interest rates) only slightly, yet still call forth huge transfers of financial assets from one country to another. These transfers swamp the flow of trade revenues in their effect on the demand and supply for different currencies, and hence in their effect on exchange rates. As telecommunications technology continues to advance, these transactions will be cheaper and faster still. With unco-ordinated economic policies, currencies can get only more volatile.
    ….
    In all these ways national economic boundaries are slowly dissolving. As the trend continues, the appeal of a currency union across at least the main industrial countries will seem irresistible to everybody except foreign-exchange traders and governments. In the phoenix zone, economic adjustment to shifts in relative prices would happen smoothly and automatically, rather as it does today between different regions within large economies (a brief on pages 74-75 explains how.) The absence of all currency risk would spur trade, investment and employment.

The phoenix zone would impose tight constraints on national governments. There would be no such thing, for instance, as a national monetary policy. The world phoenix supply would be fixed by a new central bank, descended perhaps from the IMF. The world inflation rate – and hence, within narrow margins, each national inflation rate- would be in its charge. Each country could use taxes and public spending to offset temporary falls in demand, but it would have to borrow rather than print money to finance its budget deficit. With no recourse to the inflation tax, governments and their creditors would be forced to judge their borrowing and lending plans more carefully than they do today. This means a big loss of economic sovereignty, but the trends that make the phoenix so appealing are taking that sovereignty away in any case. Even in a world of more-or-less floating exchange rates, individual governments have seen their policy independence checked by an unfriendly outside world.

As the next century approaches, the natural forces that are pushing the world towards economic integration will offer governments a broad choice. They can go with the flow, or they can build barricades. Preparing the way for the phoenix will mean fewer pretended agreements on policy and more real ones. It will mean allowing and then actively promoting the private-sector use of an international money alongside existing national monies. That would let people vote with their wallets for the eventual move to full currency union. The phoenix would probably start as a cocktail of national currencies, just as the Special Drawing Right is today. In time, though, its value against national currencies would cease to matter, because people would choose it for its convenience and the stability of its purchasing power.
    …..
    The alternative – to preserve policymaking autonomy- would involve a new proliferation of truly draconian controls on trade and capital flows. This course offers governments a splendid time. They could manage exchange-rate movements, deploy monetary and fiscal policy without inhibition, and tackle the resulting bursts of inflation with prices and incomes polices. It is a growth-crippling prospect. Pencil in the phoenix for around 2018, and welcome it when it comes.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    It's not going to happen, if for no other reason than technology isn't advanced enough to instantaneously handle system glitches. I've experienced, on at least two occasions, systems being down when I'm making a purchase, which required me to pull out cash.

In addition, there will always be gray and black markets. There will always be people who have 'opted out' of the forced income tax system. Bartering only goes so far, silver and gold, other precious and semi precious metals will never lose their value and will always be the back-up currency. Currency has and always will be necessary within a civilized system.
    Technology handles it just fine here.

America, the dark ages of actual technology implementation.
    In New Zealand:
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    Prostitution is legal

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post

Yes, I took my dog to the vet the other day and didn't take cash. When they were done giving the dog shots and all, I handed them a debit card and they told me the machine wasn't working. I had to drive ten miles home and ten miles back so I could pay them with cash.

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post

What do you want, a cookie?
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure y'all don't have a massive surveillance State to be concerned about. Most folks would be less concerned if they didn't have to fear Big Brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

It won't have to be banned, like idiom here, people will happily give up the anonymity of cash in exchange for the "convenience" of using plastic.

It's been more than a couple of times now, where I have had to share a cab with shipmates, and not a single one of them, had a more than couple dollars on them.

That fact that Big Brother now has a record of each purchase, place and time, to be used against you, the fact that every time you swipe that idiot plastic card (or soon give thumb and retina scans) the banskters take a piece of the action, thus making trillions of dollars of "skim" every year, and the fact that everfucking government still charges you taxes to coin and print money, is just lost on them.

It's hip, cool and new...it's chains, but hip, cool and new ones.

Without Cash, EVERY transaction will be subject to Banking approval, thus, even more fines and fees and endless interest.

---

Something Very Disturbing Spotted In A Morgan Stanley Presentation
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...entation-slide

With central bankers losing credibility left and right, and failing outright to boost the "wealth effect" no matter what they throw at it, the next big question is when will central planners around the world unveil the cashless society which is a necessary and sufficient condition to a regime of global NIRP.

And while in recent days we have seen op-eds by both Bloomberg and FT urging the banning of cash, the most disturbing development we have seen yet in the push for a cashless society has come from the following slide in a Morgan Stanley presentation, one in which the bank's head of EMEA equity research Huw van Steenis, pointed out the following...

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...ve%20rates.jpg

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Meh. We don't need it that bad.
    We like cash money and handshakes in these here parts...

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Without Cash, EVERY transaction will be subject to Banking approval, thus, even more fines and fees and endless interest.
    Actually what we found is that the banks have to do it for free to be competitive. It is completely free and instant to move money between people and banks.

The banks like it because they don't have to deal with credit card companies, or cash handling. Its way cheaper for a bank to operate digitally than with physical cash.

I only get fees for cash based transactions like cash deposits or withdrawals.

Businesses like it because its immediate and secure. Basically no cash on premises means there is no point in robbing you. Works for Taxi's and other mobile operations too.

It is far more efficient. Digital transactions are simply a lot more competitive. If your store is cash only, nobody will shop there.

Unless of course its drugs, so basically the last refuge of cash is government intervention. End the drug war and cash will disappear.
    Last edited by idiom; 02-10-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

You do not see them.

The fees are assessed on the seller's end.

Who, of course, roll that over into the cost of the product or service you're buying.

That's why, here anyway, there are still gas stations, for instance, that offer 5 to 10 cents of discount for cash purchases.

Of course, the bankster's fees are nominal now, especially if you do a lot of volume (another whack at small business).

But wait until you have no alternative but to use their system.

Actually what we found is that the banks have to do it for free to be competitive. It is completely free and instant to move money between people and banks.

The banks like it because they don't have to deal with credit card companies, or cash handling. Its way cheaper for a bank to operate digitally than with physical cash.

Businesses like it because its immediate and secure. Basically no cash on premises means there is no point in robbing you. Works for Taxi's and other mobile operations too.

It is far more efficient. Digital transactions are simply a lot more competitive. If your store is cash only, nobody will shop there.

Unless of course its drugs, so basically the last refuge of cash is government intervention. End the drug war and cash will disappear.
    You hand over records of every transaction you make, knock yourself out. I deal almost exclusively in cash. I am giving Ronan a rare + rep, I $#@!ing hate the government tracking every stinking thing I do. It's why I'll never start another business.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You do not see them.

Who, of course, roll that over into the cost of the product or service you're buying.

That's why, here anyway, there are still gas stations, for instance, that offer 5 to 10 cents of discount for cash purchases.

Of course, the bankster's fees are nominal now, especially if you do a lot of volume (another whack at small business).

Yes, this^^ QFT. As Harry Browne used to say, TANSTAAFL (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch)
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a small issue compared to the credit card interchange fees put on merchants. That 3% of gross receipts makes a huge impact. All the payments I receive are already trackable. I do zero business in cash. Nobody wants to pay with cash. I'd gladly switch to another method that is also tracked that is much cheaper, if only consumers would switch to it. Some countries are already doing it better with cheap bank transfers. They've been charging these ridiculous 3% fees for decades now, despite jumps in technology that in a free market would cause the fees to go down. The system is being propped up by regulation. These fees are the single biggest business expense that many businesses have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Raven View Post
    This is a small issue compared to the credit card interchange fees put on merchants. That 3% of gross receipts makes a huge impact. All the payments I receive are already trackable. I do zero business in cash. Nobody wants to pay with cash. I'd gladly switch to another method that is also tracked that is much cheaper, if only consumers would switch to it. Some countries are already doing it better with cheap bank transfers. They've been charging these ridiculous 3% fees for decades now, despite jumps in technology that in a free market would cause the fees to go down. The system is being propped up by regulation. These fees are the single biggest business expense that many businesses have to pay.
    I always pay with cash unless I purchase online.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Saw this 1988 Economist cover making the rounds:

https://socioecohistory.wordpress.co...mist-magazine/
    Yup.

All rolling out as planned.

Welcome to the new world order, where soon, even death itself will not be permitted as an escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I always pay with cash unless I purchase online.
    Well, you're obviously not just a technological Luddite and fuddy duddy, but probably some sort of criminal or drug lord or terrorist.

Reported.

Well, you're obviously not just a technological Luddite and fuddy duddy, but probably some sort of criminal or drug lord or terrorist.

Reported.
    Meh, I'll be toast soon anyway I'm sure.

The only time I use cash is when I go downtown to make a purchase.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Raven View Post
    paypal?

I pay cash for everything that I do not write a check for .I only write a check for something I do not care if the govt sees .I also barter and accept gold and silver .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    we have a tractor supply here that asks for your zip code even when paying cash.. last time I gave them an out of state zip that I lived in around 1977
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

You do not see them.

I have worked both ends. No fees.

Its cheaper for the bank not to handle cash.

Even the smallest businesses do everything digitally. Its a significant cost in time and labour for a small business to have to move a lot of cash around, and a risk to the entire operation.

Its usually 2% extra for a credit card, but who the $#@! uses those? Just use digital currency. Bank to bank, no credit card companies in between.

No cash = no theft and no loss.

A person can be identified from any 8 receipts already. There's a $#@! tonne of ways to track you. Not having a normal digital life is more of a red flag than having one.
    Last edited by idiom; 02-11-2016 at 05:08 AM.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I also barter and accept gold and silver .
    See those are both global currencies. I ain't going near them.
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal

I haven't used cash in over 15 years. Nobody here does. Only time I have used it is when I visit America. Its like going back in time.
    So when there is a garage sale, or you sell something on Craigslist, how is payment done? When the kid down the street mows the lawn or babysits, how do you pay them? When a group of people chip in and send someone down to the store for beer and avocados, how do you chip in?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

See those are both global currencies. I ain't going near them.
    They're money, not "currency".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    So when there is a garage sale, or you sell something on Craigslist, how is payment done? When the kid down the street mows the lawn or babysits, how do you pay them? When a group of people chip in and send someone down to the store for beer and avocados, how do you chip in?
    obviously.. he's using a card for weed too.. egad
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast