Thread: Want to Live Longer? Eat a Plant-Based Diet - (study published in JAMA)

Cool Want to Live Longer? Eat a Plant-Based Diet - (study published in JAMA)

Want to Live Longer? Eat a Plant-Based Diet
    by Christopher Wanjek | June 03, 2013 04:13pm ET

To stave off death by a few extra years, a vegetarian diet appears to be superior to a non-vegetarian one, according to results of a study of more than 73,000 people published today (June 3) in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

The study, the largest of its kind, compared the longevity of meat eaters to that of four types of vegetarians: vegans, who eat no animal products; lacto-ovo–vegetarians, who consume dairy products and eggs; pesco-vegetarians, who eat fish but rarely meat; and semi-vegetarians, who eat meat no more than once weekly.

The winners, in terms of cheating death the longest, were the pesco-vegetarians, followed by vegans, and then the lacto-ovo-vegetarians. The vegetarian groups, on average, had a 12 percent lower risk of dying over the study period compared to meat eaters. The study participants were all members of the Seventh-Day Adventist church.

Previous studies have shown that vegetarian diets are associated with decreased risk of numerous chronic diseases, such as Type 2 diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome, circulatory disease and hypertension.

And it's been long known that Seventh-Day Adventists — with their healthy lifestyle that shuns tobacco and espouses exercise and a plant-based diet — live longer that the general population. Seventh-Day Adventists in California live, on average, four to seven years longer than other Californians, an earlier study revealed. [Extending Life: 7 Ways to Live Past 100]

Researchers have had difficulty, however, in discerning between associations, and cause-and-effect links. Is it the absence of meat, or the presence of a health-conscious attitude shared by many vegetarians, or both, that leads to healthier outcomes?

A healthy lifestyle

This newest study is unique in that it only looked at Seventh-Day Adventists, a group relatively similar in their lifestyle. The Adventist Church recommends, but does not mandate, a plant-based diet.

The researchers, led by Dr. Michael J. Orlich of Loma Linda University in California (a Seventh-Day Adventist institution), analyzed the diets of 73,308 Seventh-Day Adventists. Among the participants, 2,570 died within about six years of the initial data collection. Those most likely to have died were the meat eaters.

The pesco-vegetarians were 19 percent less likely to die over the study period than the meat eaters, and vegans were 15 percent less likely. Men benefited more than women from the vegetarian diet.

"We can be pretty confident that the vegetarian groups fared better than the non-vegetarians, but we cannot meaningfully compare the vegetarian groups to each other," Orlich told LiveScience. "The numbers are far too close to speculate. We hope to be able to do that in a few years when we have more [statistical] power" with more deaths to analyze.

The strengths of the study were that it demonstrated that vegan and other vegetarian diets are safe and that a range of vegetarian diets — from strict to somewhat lax — appears to be healthier than a diet dominated by processed foods and meats, according to Dr. Robert Baron of the University of California, San Francisco, who wrote an editorial accompanying the new findings in the journal.

The American diet

Referring to a generally unhealthy American diet, Baron wrote that limiting "sugars and sugary drinks, refined grains, and large amounts of saturated and trans fats" and eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and nuts "trumps the more narrow goals of whether to include moderate amounts of dairy, eggs, fish, or even meat."

"I do not think that we all necessarily need to be vegans or other types of vegetarians" to be healthy, Baron told LiveScience. "But I do think that the world would ultimately be a better place without certain industrially produced foods, including beef.

A second study published today, by researchers at Johns Hopkins University in the American Journal of Epidemiology, found that a combination of regular exercise, a Mediterranean diet, smoking avoidance, and weight maintenance was associated with a lower risk of coronary artery disease. The Mediterranean diet emphasizes fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish, and healthy fats.

"Those who adopted all four healthy behaviors had an 80 percent lower death rate [over 7.6 years], compared to participants with none of the healthy behaviors," lead author Haitham Ahmed of Johns Hopkins Hospital said in a statement.

The JAMA study on Seventh-Day Adventists does conflict with a large analysis published in 2009 based on the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-Oxford) study, which found identical death rates between vegetarians and non-vegetarians.

The researchers at Loma Linda University acknowledged this in their paper, but noted that the Seventh-Day Adventists in their study ate differently than the Europeans in the 2009 study. For example, the Adventist vegans consumed nearly twice as much dietary fiber and vitamin C as the European vegans.

Orlich added that "even our non-vegetarians are relatively low meat consumers, and relatively health conscious. If we were comparing our vegetarian groups to the average American diet, we might find more striking results."

http://www.livescience.com/37102-veg...ve-longer.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For "a few extra years" I need to give up delicious red beef, scrumptious bacon and heavenly pulled pork? Pffft. Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    For "a few extra years" I need to give up delicious red beef, scrumptious bacon and heavenly pulled pork? Pffft. Get real.
    Comments like that makes it obvious to what the real motive is behind these paleo and other low carb fad diets; an excuse to eat a lot of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Comments like that makes it obvious to what the real motive is behind these paleo and other low carb fad diets; an excuse to eat a lot of meat.
    I don't do fads. I'm also not a vegan. All the vegans I have met must not be doing it right. None were healthy individuals. Sallow and thin as a rail. They also had really smelly farts.

Chester Copperpot

yeah basically all one has to do is let their tastes dictate what they want.. when butter tastes really good and meat then its a sign it what your body wants... when broccoli or carrots or brussels sprouts are being craved it means thats what your body wants... so listen to your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    yeah basically all one has to do is let their tastes dictate what they want.. when butter tastes really good and meat then its a sign it what your body wants... when broccoli or carrots or brussels sprouts are being craved it means thats what your body wants... so listen to your body.
    B-I-N-B-O!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

The OP is totally full of it and is drawing false conclusions here.

I agree with the study, vegetarians are much healthier than the average American on the Standard American Diet. For one, they focus on eating healthier in their day to day lives. Most people don't. Vegetarians eat less processed foods and eat less sugar than the average American, so of course they will get diabetes less often.

This is not an argument against the paleo diet, which has nothing to do with the Standard American Diet.

Let me know when they do a study comparing people on the PALEO diet (or even paleo-centric, low-carb, good fat diets) to people who are vegetarian.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Chester Copperpot

I don't do fads. I'm also not a vegan. All the vegans I have met must not be doing it right. None were healthy individuals. Sallow and thin as a rail. They also had really smelly farts.
    Ive only met one that was pretty cool.. but I have to agree they all tend to have health problems... Ive also noticed that the men seem to be on the effeminate side normally.. Im assuming their body isnt getting the proper raw material to make testosterone properly... Or it may be because they eat alot of $#@!ty food.. imitation soy everything... Durian rider eats all raw and he doesnt seem fem to me... but hes the only one so far .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also notice in the study the 'vegetarians' who lived longest ate FISH.

OP's logic fails are enormous here and completely destroy their credibility.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Also notice in the study the 'vegetarians' who lived longest ate FISH.

OP's logic fails are enormous here and completely destroy their credibility.
    hes prejudiced against eating animals and thinks he can bully people with bull$#@!... whereas I want whatever has the best nutrition. And even if i were a vegetarian Id have to eat things from the ocean because there are just some nutrients that cant be assured unless gotten from the sea... this seems to jive well with jack lalanne's pescetarian diet as well...

What Id really like to do is find farms growing veggies and fruits in soil replete with minerals.

PS: I know some vegans who wont even eat SEA VEGETABLES, because they look TOO MUCH LIKE ANIMALS...

theyre friggin plants

Want to Live Longer? Eat a Plant-Based Diet

This newest study is unique in that it only looked at Seventh-Day Adventists, a group relatively similar in their lifestyle. The Adventist Church recommends, but does not mandate, a plant-based diet...
    Is Seventh-Day Adventist is real religion? I am not saying it isn't ...just asking?

<On Topic>
    Meatless is better, but those meaty portions taste way too good.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

I don't do fads. I'm also not a vegan. All the vegans I have met must not be doing it right. None were healthy individuals. Sallow and thin as a rail.
    Rejoice, the study said you don't have to be vegan. It's not that you have to cut out the meats you mentioned, the evidence suggests just drastically reduce the amounts eaten compared to the average diet. Check out the Blue Zones diet. The Seventh Day Adventist are part of the Blue Zones group, but the others do eat meat, just only small amounts 1-2x a week, not 2-3x a day.

What's affecting the majority of the population's ability to listen to their bodies in the States? Most are overweight or obese and stricken with disease.

The OP is totally full of it and is drawing false conclusions here. I agree with the study, vegetarians are much healthier than the average American on the Standard American Diet. For one, they focus on eating healthier in their day to day lives. Most people don't. Vegetarians eat less processed foods and eat less sugar than the average American, so of course they will get diabetes less often. This is not an argument against the paleo diet, which has nothing to do with the Standard American Diet.
    Where did I specifically say it was?

Let me know when they do a study comparing people on the PALEO diet (or even paleo-centric, low-carb, good fat diets) to people who are vegetarian.
    Let us know too.

Chester Copperpot

What's affecting the majority of the population's ability to listen to their bodies in the States? Most are overweight or obese and stricken with disease.
    Processed foods.

Durian rider eats all raw and he doesnt seem fem to me... but hes the only one so far .
    He stopped eating raw a couple of years ago, but his leanness and fitness hasn't changed since incorporating cooked starches back in his diet. Neither has the leanness or fitness of his hot girlfriend.
    Last edited by farreri; 02-09-2016 at 12:37 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I eat a plant based diet rich in meats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Also notice in the study the 'vegetarians' who lived longest ate FISH. OP's logic fails are enormous here and completely destroy their credibility.
    What do you think my logic has been?

hes prejudiced against eating animals
    Prejudice against eating too much.

and thinks he can bully people with bull$#@!...
    Bully? How so?

I want whatever has the best nutrition.
    Check out the study in my initial post.

Processed foods.
    I'm assuming that's because you believe processed foods are devoid of certain nutrients. It's that's the case, then why aren't these people craving whole foods after eating a certain amount of processed foods?