Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground beef from grass-fed and grain-fed cattle: Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Angela's face whenever someone provides evidence, facts, and/or statistics she does not like...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I see nobody is offering evidence to dispute the article.

And what of milk? Is the question more about short-term nutritional value or long-term health consequences?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://animalscience.tamu.edu/2013/1...oes-it-matter/

Grass fed may have more Omega 3 fats but the amounts are very small so not that significant (less than five percent of recommended amounts).

Also to note- most "grass fed beef" was fattened up on grain before they were brought to market.

http://www.agrilicious.org/learn/agr...sture-finished

Two to three months on grain in feed lots out of about 18 months of their life before being killed so we can eat them.
    well they tested beef that was not exclusively grass fed it appears. I eat 100% grass fed...never any grain
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    If your meat isn't wrapped in white butcher paper and stamped "Not For Resale" you can do better.
    very true.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    well they tested beef that was not exclusively grass fed it appears. I eat 100% grass fed...never any grain
    Of course not, because then it would prove our point as to why grass-fed beef is much healthier.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Of course not, because then it would prove our point as to why grass-fed beef is much healthier.
    It may be healthier than grain-fed animals, but Eskimos only at naturally fed animals and they were ridden with atherosclerosis, having higher rates of stroke than other groups.

The moral of the story, if you're gonna eat meat, eat naturally fed meat, but only eat meat occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    It may be healthier than grain-fed animals, but Eskimos only at naturally fed animals and they were ridden with atherosclerosis, having higher rates of stroke than other groups.

The moral of the story, if you're gonna eat meat, eat naturally fed meat, but only eat meat occasionally.
    Possibly because whales and seals are unclean food and not a healthy choice. I follow the Bible when eating meats, fish and fowl.

Unclean Fish and Marine Animals

Abalone - Bullhead - Catfish - Clam - Crab - Crayfish - Cuttlefish - Dolphin - Eel - European Turbot - Jellyfish - Limpet - Lobsters - Marlin - Mussels - Octopus - Otter - Oysters - Paddlefish - Porpoise - Prawn - Scallop - Seal - Shark - Shrimp - Squid (calamari) - Stickleback - Sturgeon - Swordfish - Walrus - Whale
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Chester Copperpot

Possibly because whales and seals are unclean food and not a healthy choice. I follow the Bible when eating meats, fish and fowl.
    thats an interesting list.. are they all in the Bible? I thought the only unclean foods were pork and any kind of beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    thats an interesting list.. are they all in the Bible? I thought the only unclean foods were pork and any kind of beans.
    Yes. Leviticus 11 has the guidelines of meat, fish and fowl clean and unclean. I have never heard of beans being bad. Ezekiel 4:9 talks about ingredients for bread.

Ezekiel 4:9 (KJV) Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof.

OK. Are you at least agreeing that low carb advocates should stop promoting the traditional Eskimo diet as a healthy diet?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Yes. Leviticus 11 has the guidelines of meat, fish and fowl clean and unclean. I have never heard of beans being bad. Ezekiel 4:9 talks about ingredients for bread.
    yeah believe it or not along time ago I read thru the whole Bible cover-to-cover.. I dont remember much.. though I remember Leviticus being perhaps the most boring of all the chapters.. probably explains my questionable retention... anyway... somewhere I remember it saying beans of all kind were unclean and for some reason made a mental note of it...

The prohibition of beans was in select gnostic cults in the 6th and 7th century where historians link populations to a genetic mutation called G6PD allele. Keyword favism.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

OK. Are you at least agreeing that low carb advocates should stop promoting the traditional Eskimo diet as a healthy diet?
    I cannot speak for anyone else, all I know is low carb, good saturated fat is good for human health. I never thought a Eskimo diet was healthy.

yeah believe it or not along time ago I read thru the whole Bible cover-to-cover.. I dont remember much.. though I remember Leviticus being perhaps the most boring of all the chapters.. probably explains my questionable retention... anyway... somewhere I remember it saying beans of all kind were unclean and for some reason made a mental note of it...
    Beans (2 Samuel 17:28; Ezekiel 4:9). They were not forbidden in any way that I can remember.

Chester Copperpot

Beans (2 Samuel 17:28; Ezekiel 4:9). They were not forbidden in any way that I can remember.
    Yeah Presence corrected me.. see a few messages above... i must have read it somewhere other than the Bible.

Yeah Presence corrected me.. see a few messages above... i must have read it somewhere other than the Bible.

Ah, I missed it. It is safe to say the creator knew what foods were best for us to consume.

They are not 'listed' as such, but the characteristics are defined. The key characteristics here are "they have fins but do not have scales."

Leviticus 11:10-12 'But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you, and they shall be abhorrent to you; you may not eat of their flesh, and their carcasses you shall detest. ‘Whatever in the water does not have fins and scales is abhorrent to you. (NASB)

So because whales and seals have fins but do not also have scales, therefore they are unclean.

The argument for shellfish/crustaceans being unclean is that they feed on waste products from other organisms, catfish are included too- they are bottom feeders, and they do not have scales.

I've heard similar about pigs, because they will eat damn near whatever slop gets thrown their way. But there is also at least 1 reference in scripture to demons being cast out and possessing pigs.
    Last edited by CPUd; 02-09-2016 at 01:45 AM.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post

And what of milk? Is the question more about short-term nutritional value or long-term health consequences?
    Note on chart- it claims grass fed is leaner and juicier. The juicier component comes from fat. Leaner is not juicier.

1.5- two years to mature? That used to be four to five. They are still eating an "unnatural diet" to accelerate growth so they can kill it sooner.

We already discussed that the Omega 3s are in insignificant amounts as far as your nutrition is concerned- beef is not- as the chart tries to claim- "rich in Omega 3 fatty acids".
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-09-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The argument for shellfish/crustaceans being unclean is that they feed on waste products from other organisms, catfish are included too- they are bottom feeders, and they do not have scales.
    Wouldn't those species die off from eating a diet so unclean?

Chester Copperpot

Note on chart- it claims grass fed is leaner and juicier. The juicier component comes from fat. Leaner is not juicier.

1.5- two years to mature? That used to be four to five.
    i guess you didnt see the part that said juicier because of higher moisture content??

Dude your denial is so over the top youre like baghdad bob from iraq who kept saying "we are winning"....

Wouldn't those species die off from eating a diet so unclean?

That's because they were made that way to keep the balance. Just like pigs on a farm were originally used to keep the farm clean.

i guess you didnt see the part that said juicier because of higher moisture content??

Dude your denial is so over the top youre like baghdad bob from iraq who kept saying "we are winning"....
    http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4...at_taste_juicy

What makes meat taste juicy?

The secondary perception of juiciness is due to saliva flow that is stimulated by the presence of fat in the mouth. That is why a well-marbled meat will taste juicy even when it has been cooked relatively dry, while a bite of veal (too young to be thickly marbled) may start out moist and tender, but will dry out in the mouth before it’s swallowed.
    Water evaporates out when cooking.

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-rec...cy-tender-beef

There are three grades of beef: prime, choice and quality-select. Grade is determined by marbling — the amount of fat imbedded in beef that keeps it moist. The tenderest beef will have marbling throughout and not just on the outer edges. Marbling is important because once you cook beef, the fat will begin to melt and add flavor and juiciness. Prime is the most highly marbled with fat as well as the most tender and tasty.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-09-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Chester Copperpot

the author of the graphic isnt talking about what youre talking about.. hes talking about juicier because of higher moisture content.. just like under the grain fed animals he specifies that the meat is "greasy not juicy"

This is from the first sentence of your first link :Most of the juiciness in meat is actually water

of course if somebody cooks all the water out of their meat its not gong to be juicy.. only an idiot wouldnt understand that.. but thats not what we are talking about.

I dont know why you have such anathema to animals being fed a healthy diet... Obviously if you feed an animal $#@! all day and inject it with hormones, steroids, and antibiotics the end result can only be bad for people eating the animals or any of its produce. To deny this is to deny reality.

I am not opposed to eating animals fed a better diet. Just don't expect it to improve your own nutrition compared to "standard" beef. The nutritional differences are not significant. If you like the environmental impact better or feel better morally spending more money on it then enjoy. Animals on different diets may taste different but nutritionally, basically the same.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Chester Copperpot

I am not opposed to eating animals fed a better diet. Just don't expect it to improve your own nutrition compared to "standard" beef. The nutritional differences are not significant. If you like the environmental impact better or feel better morally spending more money on it then enjoy.
    The nutritional differences are off the chart:
    This is Vitamin E, the nutrition is better in grassfed animals for every vitamin and every mineral. Whether its meat, butter, cheese, or eggs.
    Beef.............................................. .................................................. .............................Chicken

Their fat profile is more in line with Nature.. Grassfed animals are not in a state of inflammation

Natural is also more sanitary and safer to eat: this is why we can eat meat, milk, and eggs raw from a farm but to do so with food from a supermarket is unsafe

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Recommended Vitamin E is 15mg per day. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...g/hrb-20060476 Based on your chart, grass fed beef has less than seven micrograms per gram (microgram is 1/1000 of a mg) per gram. 15 mg would be fifteen thousand micrograms which at seven micrograms per gram would come out to five pounds of beef a day to get your minimum requirement.

Not a significant source of vitamin E. One ounce of almonds has as much vitamin E as two pounds of grass fed beef.

Also note that vitamin E is broken down by cooking which means unless you eat it raw, you need even more beef to get your daily E.

Not "off the charts".
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-09-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Chester Copperpot

Recommended Vitamin E is 15mg per day. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...g/hrb-20060476 Based on your chart, grass fed beef has less than seven micrograms per gram (microgram is 1/1000 of a mg) per gram. 15 mg would be fifteen thousand micrograms which at seven micrograms per gram would come out to five pounds of beef a day to get your minimum requirement.

Not a significant source of vitamin E.

Also note that vitamin E is broken down by cooking which means unless you eat it raw, you need even more beef to get your daily E.
    And yet no matter what you say, GRAINFED MEAT AND MEAT PRODUCTS HAVE WAY LESS NUTRITION.

so really. stop the bull$#@!...

And yet no matter what you say, GRAINFED MEAT AND MEAT PRODUCTS HAVE WAY LESS NUTRITION.

Nitpickers gonna nitpick and always let perfect be the enemy of good. There is really nothing to dispute when comparing grassfed animals vs grainfed.

Twice "hardly any" is still "hardly any".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast