Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground beef from grass-fed and grain-fed cattle: Does it matter?

Ground beef from grass-fed and grain-fed cattle: Does it matter?

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/2013/1...oes-it-matter/

The internet is awash in websites proclaiming the nutritional benefits of ground beef from grass-fed cattle. However, researchers in the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University have published the only two research studies that actually compared the effects of ground beef from grass-fed cattle and traditional, grain-fed cattle on risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD) and type II diabetes in men. Was ground beef from grass-fed beef actually more healthful?

Americans consume approximately 40 percent of their total beef intake as ground beef, which is much higher in total fat than most intact cuts of beef. In fact, ground beef is one of the most important sources of the healthful monounsaturated fatty acid, oleic acid in the diet (the importance of this is discussed below). Ground beef from grass-fed cattle naturally contains more omega-3 fatty acids than from grain-fed cattle (three times as much) but is higher in saturated and trans-fat. At the other end of the spectrum is premium ground beef, such as from conventionally produced Certified Angus Beef or from cattle with Japanese genetics (available as Wagyu or Akaushi ground beef). Ground beef from these cattle is very high in oleic acid and is also much lower in saturated and trans-fat than ground beef from grass-fed cattle.

The information listed below is based on research conducted at Texas A&M University, which compared the fatty acid composition of ground beef from grass-fed and grain-fed cattle. Ground beef from grass-fed and grain-fed cattle that contains approximately 10 to 15 percent total fat (85 to 90 percent lean) is available in retail stores, so the values listed below are for a 4-ounce ground beef patty (quarter pounder) that contains 85 percent lean (15 percent fat).

The most abundant omega-3 fatty acid in our foods is α-linolenic acid (ALA), which is one of the two essential fatty acids that must be obtained from the diet (the other is linoleic acid, which is an omega-6 fatty acid). ALA is found in flax seed and walnuts, but Americans obtain most of their ALA from canola oil. Although the scientific studies are not conclusive, ALA may slow the rate of growth of cancer cells and may also reduce risk factors for CVD. The Daily Reference Intake (DRI) of ALA is 1.1 grams per day for women and 1.6 grams per day for men. So, a quarter pounder ground beef patty from grass-fed cattle contains 0.055 of the 1.1 grams ALA required by women and 0.055 of the 1.6 grams ALA required by men. In other words, that ground beef patty from cattle fed native Texas pastures contains only 5 percent of the DRI for ALA for women and just over 3 percent of the DRI for ALA for men. Yes, grass-fed ground beef contributes to the omega-3 fatty acids in our diets, but can it be considered a significant source of ALA?

For comparison, a tablespoon of canola oil (approximately 14 grams of canola oil) contains 1.4 g of ALA. This is more than the DRI for women and almost as much as the DRI for men. That same tablespoon of canola oil also contains 8.4 grams of oleic acid, which is similar to the amount of oleic acid in olive oil. Researchers have known for decades that oleic acid has positive health benefits, such as reducing LDL-cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and perhaps increasing HDL-cholesterol (the good cholesterol). The World Health Organization has recommended that intake of oleic acid should be 15 to 30 percent of daily energy intake. For women, that would be equal to 25 – 50 grams of oleic per day, whereas for men, that would be equal to 40 – 80 grams of oleic per day. Research in the Department of Animal Science has shown that men consume about 20 grams of oleic acid per day, and women consume about 12 grams of oleic acid per day, but this can be nearly doubled by consuming ground beef high in oleic acid, such as ground beef from grain-fed cattle or cattle with Japanese genetics.

Grass feeding definitely does not increase the amount of oleic acid in beef. The quarter pound ground beef patty from grain-fed cattle contains over 2 grams more oleic acid than ground beef from grass-fed cattle. In fact, the grain-fed ground beef patty contains nearly the same amount of oleic acid as the tablespoon of canola oil. Also, ground beef from grass-fed cattle has 2 grams more saturated fat plus trans-fat than the patty from grain-fed cattle.

So, which is better, more omega-3 fatty acids (grass-fed) or more oleic acid with less saturated/trans-fats (grain-fed)? Studies in the Department of Animal Science demonstrated the effects of ground beef from grass-fed and grain-fed cattle. Men consumed both types of ground beef for five weeks in randomized crossover trials. In older, mildly hypercholesterolemic men, ground beef from grass-fed cattle decreased HDL-cholesterol. In men with normal cholesterol levels, only ground beef from grain-fed cattle increased HDL-cholesterol. Neither ground beef type increased LDL-cholesterol in men. Research by the Department of Animal Science similarly demonstrated that consuming ground beef does not affect LDL-cholesterol in postmenopausal women.

In men, plasma insulin was decreased by ground beef from both grass-fed and grain-fed cattle, indicating that ground beef in general reduces this important risk factor for type II diabetes. Thus, neither type of ground beef had negative effects on risk factors for CVD or type II diabetes, but the ground beef from the grain-fed cattle provided more positive health benefits by increasing HDL-cholesterol.

What about the cholesterol content of ground beef? Many websites claim that beef from grass-fed cattle is lower in cholesterol than beef from conventionally raised cattle. An excellent study from Texas Tech University demonstrated that there is no difference in cholesterol in ground beef from grass-fed and grain-fed cattle if the fat content is similar. Early research conducted at Texas A&M University demonstrated that the cholesterol in beef and beef products is stored in both the lean and the fat within the meat. If you trim all of the fat from beef (including the marbling), there will be about 45 milligrams of cholesterol in a 4 ounce serving of beef. For every 1 percent increase in total fat content there is a 1-milligram increase in cholesterol. So, ground beef that is 95 percent lean (5 percent fat) contains about 50 milligrams of cholesterol and ground beef that is 85 percent lean (15 percent fat) contains 60 milligrams of cholesterol. This is as true for beef from grass-fed beef as it is for beef from grain-fed cattle.

So, at this point, there is no scientific evidence to support the claims that ground beef from grass-fed cattle is a healthier alternative to ground beef from conventionally raised, grain-fed cattle.
    Grass fed may have more Omega 3 fats but the amounts are very small so not that significant (less than five percent of recommended amounts).

Also to note- most "grass fed beef" was fattened up on grain before they were brought to market.

http://www.agrilicious.org/learn/agr...sture-finished

Grain-Finished vs. Pasture-Finished

There are important distinctions to be made when indicating the diet of the last 60-90 days of the cow's life before slaughter. This period is referred to as the "finishing" stage and cows can either be grain finished or pasture finished. Grain finished cows are weaned, allowed free access to the outside to forage until they reach skeletal and muscle maturity and then they are given grains the last few months of their lives to help them fatten up before slaughter so that the meat has more flavor. Pasture finished beef follow the same pattern, but the last 2-3 months are spent naturally foraging in a pasture.
    Two to three months on grain in feed lots out of about 18 months of their life before being killed so we can eat them.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-07-2016 at 01:47 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If you've ever witnessed feed lot cattle overcrowded in their own mud, $#@!, and flies being fed pesticide fumigated and antibiotic doctored corn living adjacent to a vast putrid $#@! pit... vs grass fed cattle on clean overgrown pasture you wouldn't need shill scientists to convince you which was a better choice.

Last edited by presence; 02-07-2016 at 01:41 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I think it's more a perception that the animal is in healthier conditions aside from diet. We as consumers just have a vague idea of animals being in cramped barn stalls and I've seen this myself as a truck driver with chickens when arriving at Jennie-O.

For some reason, I think we also might think so-called Organic food is processed to a better standard. I've also delivered to a Butterball plant and was amazed at the sheer volume of bloody chicken bones coming out the back into a dumpster.

So basically, some consumers have a a general interest in food that meets a better standard in both quality of product and ethics. In this case, it's also possible the consumer is being deceived a little bit.

EDIT: Just saw Presence's post which I think relates to my own. I think Zippy's post is just talking about this from a purely nutritional standpoint and I think his post is valid. Presence and myself would suggest the interest in 'Organic' food is from other reasons.
    Last edited by VIDEODROME; 02-07-2016 at 01:38 PM.

So, at this point, there is no scientific evidence to support the claims that ground beef from grass-fed cattle is a healthier alternative to ground beef from conventionally raised, grain-fed cattle.
    Thanks for raining in some sanity, Zippy!

This picture is of a chicken ranch producing organic, free range, cage free eggs. The birds are given organic feed which qualifies them as organic. They are not in cages- thus "cage free" and have access to the outdoors which qualifies them as "free range".

http://www.seattletimes.com/photo-vi...ange-or-other/

They have access to the outside, but few birds go out. (they are shut in at night to avoid predators).

This ranch provides "O Organics" eggs for Safeway.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-07-2016 at 01:49 PM.

If your meat isn't wrapped in white butcher paper and stamped "Not For Resale" you can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    If your meat isn't wrapped in white butcher paper and stamped "Not For Resale" you can do better.
    ^^^.

Grain-fed cattle is not natural.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

If you've ever witnessed feed lot cattle overcrowded in their own mud, $#@!, and flies being fed pesticide fumigated and antibiotic doctored corn living adjacent to a vast putrid $#@! pit... vs grass fed cattle on clean overgrown pasture you wouldn't need shill scientists to convince you which was a better choice.

thats exactly right

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I think it's more a perception that the animal is in healthier conditions aside from diet. We as consumers just have a vague idea of animals being in cramped barn stalls and I've seen this myself as a truck driver with chickens when arriving at Jennie-O.

For some reason, I think we also might think so-called Organic food is processed to a better standard. I've also delivered to a Butterball plant and was amazed at the sheer volume of bloody chicken bones coming out the back into a dumpster.

So basically, some consumers have a a general interest in food that meets a better standard in both quality of product and ethics. In this case, it's also possible the consumer is being deceived a little bit.

EDIT: Just saw Presence's post which I think relates to my own. I think Zippy's post is just talking about this from a purely nutritional standpoint and I think his post is valid. Presence and myself would suggest the interest in 'Organic' food is from other reasons.
    No its not from a purely nutritional standpoint.. its from a cherry picked list of arguments.. like "people say grass fed meat is lower in cholesterol"... Ive never heard anybody say that in my life..its a false argument

the nutrional content of grass fed meats is off the chart compared to grain fed....

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Grain-fed cattle is not natural.
    The natural diet for cows is grass not grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    the nutrional content of grass fed meats is off the chart compared to grain fed....
    I heard something similar just yesterday, grass fed is much better.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    What? You mean that just looking at the govt ordained "organic" label isn't good enough? Its almost like those govt set rules and regulations are meant to benefit the big agricorps. Indeed, more research is necessary. Compare your pictures to:

http://vitalfarms.com/pasture-raised-eggs/

Which is pretty much how my grandpa raised chickens on his farm...
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to specsaregood again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Also to note- most "grass fed beef" was fattened up on grain before they were brought to market.
    Which is why if you want truly grass fed and grass finished meat you need to buy from somebody that actually cares about that and says its grass finished.
    My favorite online store for it (since where I live, options are limited)
    https://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/fa...ef-information
    I absolutely love his 78%ground beef and his "primal" ground beef (organs in it) for chili. The owner just happens to be a Ron Paul supporter.

So it wasn't actually grass-fed!!!

Seriously zippy, enough with the propaganda.

How about a study comparing actual grass-fed (and FINISHED!) beef and grain fed beef?
    Last edited by dannno; 02-07-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Chester Copperpot

Which is why if you want truly grass fed and grass finished meat you need to buy from somebody that actually cares about that and says its grass finished.
    I absolutely love his 78%ground beef and his "primal" ground beef (organs in it) for chili. The owner just happens to be a Ron Paul supporter.
    Yep, exactly right.. you have to know where your food comes from.. I get mine from a farm. So all the kooky vegan anti-grassfed meat arguments that he's shooting around are completely irrelevant... .but they are added proof why one has to be informed and not rely on govt mandated labeling or marketing claims/slogans..

Im sure the Southern Poverty Law Center is against any type of real critical thinking of the mundanes.. Cant have the people waking up.. Zippy go back to your bosses and tell them you've failed once again. Maybe you can get Hostess to use a vitamin spray on their Ho-Hos and convince us to eat bad that way.
    Last edited by Chester Copperpot; 02-07-2016 at 03:04 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So it wasn't grass-fed!!!

Seriously zippy, enough with the propaganda.

How about a study comparing actual grass-fed (and FINISHED!) beef and grain fed beef?
    he cant do that.. it would destroy his premise.
    Last edited by Chester Copperpot; 02-07-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Vidual View Post
    The natural diet for cows is grass not grain.

I heard something similar just yesterday, grass fed is much better.
    Sure just think of the difference between wheat grain and wheat grass... ever eat wheatgrass or drink wheatgrass juice?? it taste awful but the nutrients are off the chart. now compare that with white bread... which one has more vitamins and minerals? the grass.. always..

So the cow eating the grass has to have much more vitamins and minerals in its tissues.

all the propaganda is just lies just like when zippy tells everybody the country needs the federal reserve....

I see nobody is offering evidence to dispute the article.

Chester Copperpot

message 18 right above yours... your article is trumped by common sense... oh and a whole new thread i posted.

message 18 right above yours... your article is trumped by common sense... oh and a whole new thread i posted.
    You made a statement but provided no evidence. Do you have any?

No its not from a purely nutritional standpoint.. its from a cherry picked list of arguments.. like "people say grass fed meat is lower in cholesterol"... Ive never heard anybody say that in my life..its a false argument

Can you share a nutritional comparison between the two? Figures- not opinions?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-07-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Personally I don't care.

I look my meat in the eye before I kill it.

Pay attention to the CLA, EPA, DHA levels and especially the n6/n3 ratios.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...6864/table/T2/

Here's another good place to buy beef: http://www.localharvest.org/store/M20058
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I look my meat in the eye before I kill it.
    cheers bro, that is a personal ethic of mine as well

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Evidence is for sheeple.

Also worth noting- grass fed beef will be leaner. Less fat means fewer fatty acids per serving. Also most flavor in meats comes from that fat. That is why some add butter when cooking grass fed.

Cooking Light did a taste test: http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-...fed-beef/page2

As we tasted more beef, however, we found that there aren't clear-cut, consistent taste differences between grass-fed and grain-fed meat. This emerged after a blind tasting of eight New York strips, cooked identically. Samples included regular supermarket beef; steak from our grass-fed cow; and meat from a variety of grass-fed and grain-fed animals of different breeds raised in different states. The latter came from a "Discover Beef" tasting pack from The Artisan Beef Institute in Santa Rosa, California, whose founder, Carrie Oliver, applies the wine-tasting model to meats.

Our testers liked several samples but discovered no universal preference for grass-fed or grain-fed, finding various degrees of beefiness and juiciness across the samples. Beef really is like cheese or tomatoes or any other food: The proof is in the pudding, not in claims about the pudding. The cook needs to explore and sample with an open mind. But this is good: However the politics of beef resolve themselves, the move from industrial production toward more emphasis on breeds, feed, care, and provenance will present the American cook with more choice, more variety—and more pleasures in the kitchen and on the plate.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-07-2016 at 04:24 PM.

But the new thread you posted says pretty much the same thing as what Zippy posted. Grass-fed beef has a little bit more Omega 3 than grain fed, but still a pretty minuscule amount.

You made a statement but provided no evidence. Do you have any?

Pay attention to the CLA, EPA, DHA levels and especially the n6/n3 ratios.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...6864/table/T2/
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Evidence is for sheeple.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    lol
    But the new thread you posted says pretty much the same thing as what Zippy posted. Grass-fed beef has a little bit more Omega 3 than grain fed, but still a pretty minuscule amount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast