Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1074

Thread: Any coin or currency collectors here?

  1. #1

    Default Any coin or currency collectors here?

    Was wondering if anyone collects or possesses old coins and currency? I was passed down some of a collection and I find it fun to examine and look up values.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default

    I'm not actively collecting any but I do have a collection of foreign currency. I'm a billionaire and millionaire with some... I've got a bunch of notes that say "one hundred million" or stuff like that, idk off the top of my head what country they are from.

    I also have a load of Middle-Eastern, African and Asian coins. Probably not worth a damn. Several pounds of coins. Went through all of them to find the silver ones.. Found some old Swedish coins with silver but apart from that it seems it's pretty worthless. Some of the Arabic coins appear to be made from aluminum, they are very light and shiny.
    "I am a bird"

  4. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I'm not actively collecting any but I do have a collection of foreign currency. I'm a billionaire and millionaire with some... I've got a bunch of notes that say "one hundred million" or stuff like that, idk off the top of my head what country they are from.

    I also have a load of Middle-Eastern, African and Asian coins. Probably not worth a damn. Several pounds of coins. Went through all of them to find the silver ones.. Found some old Swedish coins with silver but apart from that it seems it's pretty worthless. Some of the Arabic coins appear to be made from aluminum, they are very light and shiny.
    Cool. I was just looking at some of those Weimar Republic Marks (toilet paper).

    Check out Heritage Auctions to determine if those old coins have any value. It can take a large portion of days!

    Here is the choice coin of what we have.

    She is a beaut.


  5. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisMarion View Post
    Cool. I was just looking at some of those Weimar Republic Marks (toilet paper).

    Check out Heritage Auctions to determine if those old coins have any value. It can take a large portion of days!

    Here is the choice coin of what we have.

    She is a beaut.

    That's freaking awesome. I have one small gold coin from that era, Dutch coin. And a few essentially worthless ones from the 1800's but apart from that all of my coins are 50's and up. This is because they were all acquired through transactions, not collection.
    "I am a bird"

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisMarion View Post
    Was wondering if anyone collects or possesses old coins and currency? I was passed down some of a collection and I find it fun to examine and look up values.
    I buy,sell and collect coins.But I sort of specialize too , i do not fool with 1700's , large cents , much foreign , currency etc. Things I can give value on would be Shield nickels , V nickels ,Buffalo nickels,Indian cents , pre 1934 Wheat cents , Sitting Liberty dimes , Barber dimes , pre 1932 Mercury dimes , Sitting Liberty quarters , Barber quarters , Standing Liberty quarters , 1932 Washington quarters, Sitting Liberty halves , Barber halves , Walking Liberty halves ,Peace dollars , Morgan dollars .California gold , gold one dollar pc.'s , gold fives , gold 2 1/2 pc.'s. Etc
    Last edited by oyarde; 02-07-2016 at 05:39 PM.

  7. #6

    Default

    I was collecting vanishing money. I got the "last official" sets for the countries joining the Euro including the Vatican and Monaco (which were hard to find). Last Greek Drachmas, last Italian Lira, last German Marks, last French French Francs, etc. I also have some brochures and "Starter packs"- bags of coins distributed to citizens as their first Euro coins.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post

    Half the crap I write here is just to entertain myself.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I was collecting vanishing money. I got the "last official" sets for the countries joining the Euro including the Vatican and Monaco (which were hard to find). Last Greek Drachmas, last Italian Lira, last German Marks, last French French Francs, etc. I also have some brochures and "Starter packs"- bags of coins distributed to citizens as their first Euro coins.
    I have some vanishing money , made from gold and silver .

  9. #8

    Default

    They did the "Last Mark" and "Last French Franc" in gold but prices were about three times spot so I felt they were too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post

    Half the crap I write here is just to entertain myself.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  10. #9

    Default

    I don't collect currency, but I am interested in how American currency. In this little hobby I came across a $1 with mismatched serial numbers. It paid my mortgage for about four months.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

  11. #10

    Default

    I started collecting coins when I was a kid. I have a lot of silver .50, buffalo nickles, wheat pennies, and silver certificate dollars. Nothing really special but I had fun going through my dad's change. My dad also bought me a coin set every year for a long time. I'm not sure what those are worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

  12. #11

    Default

    Today , among other things , I picked up a couple Commemorative silver half dollars , 1923 S in Extra Fine , a 1926 in MS 60 , an 1870 nickel in Extra Fine ,an 1875 nickel in Fine , a 1915 nickel in Very Fine , a pair of 1932 D quarters in Very Fine an Uncirculated 1951 S quarter and an About Uncirculated 1951 S quarter. I plan to sell it all for 452 FRN's . Then I picked up 9 other nickels , 1866 , Fine details but been cleaned , a 1914 D ,1915 , a 1915 D, 1916 D , all in Good , a 1916 D , Very Fine details , been cleaned, a 1921 S in Good , pair of 1936 Double Die Obverse in Very Good , another 1926 silver half and a 1921 S silver half. I plan to sell those for for abut 228 FRN's.This is alot of fun .

  13. #12

    Default

    Today , among other things , I picked up 3 silver War nickels , 4 Indian Cents , some pre 1916 Wheat cents , an old Peso , a 1958 silver Proof dime , a 1917 S dime in Very fine and some nickels , 1919 , 1920 D , 1926 vf , four About Uncirculated 1943 steel cents. More fun than work anyway.Keep me busy to Mar 16 , then plowing to plant potatoes , hopefully fishing by April .

  14. #13

    Default

    Today , I settled for an 1867 nickel in Fine , an 1868 cent and a 1915 S nickel .

  15. #14

    Default

    ^^^^Staying busy Oyarde. Hope to get into some more soon.

  16. #15

    Default

    Collect paper money. Interesting seeing how banknotes change throughout the decades.

  17. #16

    Default

    Today , I picked up a pair of 1926 S silver dimes and a 1913 D Type 1 Nickel .

  18. #17

    Default

    Today , I sold two silver silver halves , and Indian cent and a 1932 D quarter .I picked up a 1960 silver Canadian dollar , an 1862 silver three cent pc , a pair of 1897's , quarter and a cent , two silver halves , 1939 , 1946 D , some nickels ,1887 , 1920 , 1917 , 1918 D , 1914 and a half dozen silver Mercury dimes , all 1916 , 1917 S & 1920.A 1945 wheat cent , a copper , uncirculated 1964 cent , an Uncirculated 1959 silver quarter , an Uncirculated 1910 cent . Not bad
    Last edited by oyarde; 02-17-2016 at 11:44 PM.

  19. #18

    Default

    Went out for a beer with Mr Animal last night and when the bartender gave us our change, I spied a Mercury dime. I was nice and gave it to Mr A because he took me shoe shopping and bought me a fancy pair of snakeskin loafers. I was wearing them when we went for a beer. I love them, I told him they make me feel like a pimp and since he bought them for me, he can be my bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Went out for a beer with Mr Animal last night and when the bartender gave us our change, I spied a Mercury dime. I was nice and gave it to Mr A because he took me shoe shopping and bought me a fancy pair of snakeskin loafers. I was wearing them when we went for a beer. I love them, I told him they make me feel like a pimp and since he bought them for me, he can be my bitch.
    I have never even seen snake skin loafers , those must be sweet .

  21. #20

    Default

    Today , I settled for an Uncirculated 1923 silver , Standing Liberty quarter and a 1867 Cent. I will probably sell them for 89 FRN's , since I already have a couple 1867 Cents. Not bad , kind of slow , but I will take it .

  22. #21

    Default

    Damn, I wish I had a coin from that era. Great condition too, awesome

  23. #22

    Default

    Today , I traded a 2013 Silver Eagle and a 1913 D Type 1 Buffalo nickel in Fine for an UnCirculated 1938 Silver Peso , a 1919 Buffalo nickel in Very Good , a 1936 S Buffalo nickel in Very Good and a .999 1 ounce silver bar, a 1927 silver Mercury dime in Very Fine. I am keeping the Peso .Then I bought a 1915 silver Barber Half in Very Fine. I plan to sell the 1915 half with a 1923 About Uncirculated silver Standing Liberty quarter for 265 FRN's or so, think I have a buyer.Meh , not bad.

  24. #23

    Default

    Only until my Miracle Whip loose change jars all get filled.

  25. #24

    Default

    Today , I picked up a 1915 S nickel in Good , a 1920 dime in About Uncirculated and a 1920 D dime in Extra Fine . Plan to sell them for 70 FRN's.

  26. #25

    Default

    Today , I bought three silver Standing Liberty quarters , a 1915 nickel , pair of 1894 Indian cents , some cents , 1893 , 1910 , 1918 .

  27. #26

    Default

    Today I picked up an 1875 S silver dime with the mint mark within the wreath . I needed that one for my collection , I had the more common one below the wreath. Been looking for one for awhile that I could get for less than 25 FRN's .

  28. #27

    Default

    Today , I picked up an Uncirculated 1903 silver dollar , a couple Sitting Liberty silver dimes , 1877 CC and 1884 and I am working on one more .

  29. #28

    Default

    Today , I picked up a sweet Bust Half dollar in Very Fine .

  30. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have never even seen snake skin loafers , those must be sweet .
    Very sweet but they're not real snakeskin.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

  31. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I don't collect currency, but I am interested in how American currency. In this little hobby I came across a $1 with mismatched serial numbers. It paid my mortgage for about four months.
    You all should be looking out for other mismatched bills. There were 100,000 in that print run, and when mine turned up, only five and come up for auction.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •