Thread: "Do Christianity and Politics Mix?" by Gary DeMar

Question "Do Christianity and Politics Mix?" by Gary DeMar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	politics-340x230.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	4785

There’s a scene at the end of the film The Martian where Mark Watney (played by Matt Damon) lays out what is inevitable in space travel. It’s a lesson that can and should be applied to every area of life:

“At some point, everything’s gonna go south on you… Everything’s going to go south and you’re going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That’s all it is. You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem… and you solve the next one… and then the next. And if you solve enough problems, you get to come home. All right, questions?”

A number of readers of the material published by American Vision often ask why we spend so much time on eschatology. Matt Damon’s brief speech is one reason why. Of course, it’s much more comforting to Christians if there is a “rescue in a rapture” than to die with no Earthly or Martianly hope.

Let’s get a few preliminaries out of the way concerning Christians and politics. First, there is no doubt that there are few differences between the two major parties. With both Houses of Congress owned by the Republicans, one would think that the claimed differences would have come out and the GOP would have fought for the principles they claim separate them from the Democrats.

This leads to the second observation. Many Christians believe their vote doesn’t make much difference even when their guy wins because their votes are overwhelmed by the GOP establishment majority that dilutes the effectiveness of the constitutionalists.

Third, they are tired of sending people to Congress who promise one thing and then break that promise and offer political excuses for the votes they make. This happened in my district in Georgia. Rep. Barry Loudermilk voted for the 2000-page Omnibus Appropriations Bill even though it continued to fund Planned Parenthood to the tune of $500 million. There’s so much pork in the Omnibus Bill that a devout Muslim wouldn’t touch the paper it’s printed on.

Here’s how a letter-to-the-editor writer praised Loudermilk’s vote:

“But you can’t beat something with nothing, so our delegation used the only currency they had [to get specific issues related to Georgia passed]: their votes for or against the Omnibus Appropriations Bill. Thankfully, Representative Loudermilk and the Georgia Delegation put their districts and state’s interests first, and harmful provisions were defeated as a direct result of their efforts.”

This means that the 300+ million people in the other 49 states (along with Georgia) get saddled with the multi-billion-dollar Appropriations Bill because the Georgia Delegation wanted something specific to Georgia taken out that Alabama had put in. Instead of voting for specific issues in separate bills, they are put into an Omnibus Appropriations Bill.

Loudermilk voted for the bill because “the new House Speaker” had “pledged to bring up for votes the other issues that Loudermilk wanted to see addressed in the bill,” issues that everyone knew Obama would veto.

Disillusionment sets in. But we don’t give up. We look for a better candidate. We raise up a more informed generation of Christian statesmen.
    Continue reading here.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For satanic pagan Paulinism, it's probably OK.

For Jesus, not so much ........ or any.

Jesus Is an Anarchist (pdf)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    For satanic pagan Paulinism, it's probably OK.
    Just a heads up. I find these "satanic pagan Paulinism" type posts very insulting, and I'm neg repping every single one. I love a good debate, but Ronin doesn't debate. He only insults.
    Last edited by RJB; 02-10-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Just a heads up. I find these "satanic pagan Paulinism" type posts very insulting, and I'm neg repping every single one. I love a good debate, but Ronin doesn't debate. He only insults.
    As am I. Thanks! There is no other way, it seems, we can help our fellow poster here.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    As am I. Thanks! There is no other way, it seems, we can help our fellow poster here.
    Yeah, that sort of stuff is pretty insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Yeah, that sort of stuff is pretty insulting.
    Yeah you guys can all just go ahead and prefer Paul and HIS gospel, if you wish.

I'm just going to keep on much preferring Jesus.

"By their fruits, ye shall know them."

(More Paulinists to ignore. <sigh> )
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 02-11-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Thread derail is bad form, RT. Do unto others, etc.

Neg reps are juvenile.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post

Neg reps are juvenile.
    Neg reps is exactly what he will be getting for his continued drive-by thread derailments, lies, distortions and attacks on the Christian faith.

It may be juvenile to neg rep. It is absolutely demonic, however, what he is doing.
    +

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Neg reps is exactly what he will be getting for his continued drive-by thread derailments, lies, distortions and attacks on the Christian faith.

It may be juvenile to neg rep. It is absolutely demonic, however, what he is doing.

I question your strategy of fighting demons with neg rep.
    He's simply a hypocrite.
    -Albert Camus

Neg reps are juvenile.
    Review the thread posts.

Who is derailing?

Who is posting "OFF TOPIC", including you?

Who is neg repping?

Talk to the juveniles, the Paulinistas AKA "Christians" (so called).

Review the thread posts.

Who is derailing?

Who is posting "OFF TOPIC", including you?

Who is neg repping?

Talk to the juveniles, the Paulinistas AKA "Christians" (so called).
    In what way does your post (#2) relate to the OP? Is your method of debate to go OT and then claim "foul" when others go OT when you are called on it?
    -Albert Camus

It's neither debate nor insult. It's just noise.
    -Albert Camus

The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I question your strategy of fighting demons with neg rep.
    He's simply a hypocrite.
    What we have established is that his mania to attack Christianity is driven by the rep count he obsesses over. He believes his attacks are justified because of his rep count. We are simply trying to help him out of his delusion.
    +

We are simply trying to help him out of his delusion.
    What do you care?
    -Albert Camus

In what way does your post (#2) relate to the OP? Is your method of debate to go OT and then claim "foul" when others go OT when you are called on it?
    Post #2 relates to the thread title. DUH! How about your OT posts?

Any plans to honestly answer any of my other questions to you? Or are you just cherry picking?

You can call it debate if you want to. I'll just keep on calling it "posting".

As a long time debate judge for both high schools and colleges, RPF just does not even come close to measuring up as debate forum.

If you are happily joining in on the Paulinista cause, I'll just very happily add you to my ignore list too. OK?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What do you care?
    What do you care that he derails threads?
    +

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    He may be resurrected. LOL!

Thanks!

He may be resurrected. LOL!

Thanks!
    not today he wont
    +

What do you care that he derails threads?
    There are posters here that add to the conversation. I learn quite a bit from people like you, and others who have done their due diligence. I'd like to see how those representing different ideologies react to different topics.
    -Albert Camus

There are posters here that add to the conversation. I learn quite a bit from people like you, and others who have done their due diligence. I'd like to see how those representing different ideologies react to different topics.
    I feel the same way as you do. Unfortunately, Ronin does not add anything of value or substance to the conversation. Instead, he creates animosity and needless distractions.
    +

Post #2 relates to the thread title. DUH! How about your OT posts?
    Ring the bell, the dog salivates.
    -Albert Camus

I feel the same way as you do. Unfortunately, Ronin does not add anything of value or substance to the conversation. Instead, he creates animosity and needless distractions.
    Trolls aside, HB posted an interesting article in Hot Topics that directly relates to Theo's OP.
    It should be in this subforum. Sadly, only 2 replies and 27 views.
    Is it time to end 501(c)'s?
    -Albert Camus

Yeah you guys can all just go ahead and prefer Paul and HIS gospel, if you wish.

I'm just going to keep on much preferring Jesus.

"By their fruits, ye shall know them."

(More Paulinists to ignore. <sigh> )
    That's not what you said here...
    I'm pretty much self-serving. I figure I can call myself whatever I want, at this stage of my life. I've earned it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Efforts to overturn the Johnson Amendment may be a productive way for the Liberty Movement to gain public awareness. I can see that gaining traction with Christian communities everywhere (unless, paradoxically, there is a provision within the tax code that denies tax-exempt status for those organizations who promote repealing the amendment).
    -Albert Camus