Thread: The Atlantic: Why Rand Paul's Future Prospects Are Bright - Connor Friedersdorf

The Atlantic: Why Rand Paul's Future Prospects Are Bright - Connor Friedersdorf

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...tm_source=SFFB

Rand Paul’s decision to drop out of the Republican presidential race Wednesday marks the end of a primary season that he can’t help but regard as a disappointment. On paper, Ron Paul's heir seemed poised to capitalize on the growing number of voters whose mistrust of big government extends to the GOP establishment, its neoconservative foreign policy, and its support for mass surveillance.

In practice, disaffected Republicans preferred Donald Trump’s populism to principled libertarianism. My colleague, Molly Ball, deftly illustrates the awkward reception that GOP audiences gave some of Paul’s pronouncements. Libertarians were turned off by his attempts to appeal to red-meat conservatives. His campaign team’s skills were widely panned by veteran politicos. And he lacks the smooth charisma of a Barack Obama or Marco Rubio.

But this isn’t a political obituary for the 53-year-old Kentuckian. Despite his failed foray into presidential politics, there are many reasons to think his future is bright....

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Bump for at least some $#@!ing positivity in here...
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

The positive and productive threads get very little activity and discussion while the negative and gossipy threads get all of the discussion and attention.

RPF = Gossip Girls
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Rand can raise a lot of hell in the senate especially when he's not worried about winning over the general electorate

Having a senate position to fall back to is not the worst that can happen in politics. The ex-governors will have to write a book or something.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    The positive and productive threads get very little activity and discussion while the negative and gossipy threads get all of the discussion and attention.

RPF = Gossip Girls
    Well it sure as hell is convenient that the media wants to talk positively about him now that is campaign is over. I'm not going to praise somebody for making a cop out article to pretend as if they are a fair person in any way by reporting positively on him now. Where was all this while he was running? Granted, it is nice to hear positive words, but I'm not going to give any media credit for those words now.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

LOL. Rubio? Charismatic? Rubio has the charisma of bland wallpaper.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    Agreed. He sounds like he's reading from a script in the debates. Everything is memorized.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21089 View Post
    Well it sure as hell is convenient that the media wants to talk positively about him now that is campaign is over. I'm not going to praise somebody for making a cop out article to pretend as if they are a fair person in any way by reporting positively on him now. Where was all this while he was running? Granted, it is nice to hear positive words, but I'm not going to give any media credit for those words now.
    You are being unfair to the author. Although he's a lefty, Conor Friedersdorf has been fair to Rand in the past and has reported positively on him before this. Friedersdorf is big on civil liberties and such, and he genuinely respects Rand. This is not a "cop out article" and Friedersdorf is not "pretending."
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 02-04-2016 at 06:42 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I think he comes off like a nervous high school student trying to convince his prom date's dad that he's a real man.

I think he comes off like a nervous high school student trying to convince his prom date's dad that he's a real man.
    To me he comes across as someone who has to pee from all of the testosterone flowing through his immature body which makes him very HIGH on himself. Too young and unaccomplished for the job.

Rand can really go balls to the wall in his next term and cause tremendous grief to the next criminal in chief. I doubt he will run again, but who knows. Either way, I am proud of him and he will always have my support. One day liberty will prevail and Rand Paul will be a major contributing factor.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)