Thread: Growing A Beard May Protect Men From Bacteria And Their Infections, Thus Promoting Good Health

Growing A Beard May Protect Men From Bacteria And Their Infections, Thus Promoting Good Health

http://www.medicaldaily.com/beard-ba...-shaven-371768

Beards may serve a perhaps surprising hygienic purpose, according to a new study published in the Journal of Hospital Infection. A team of researchers combed through the beards of hospital workers and compared bacteria levels to their clean-shaven hospital workers. Their findings may encourage men to flaunt their facial hair.

For the experiment, researchers swabbed the beards of 408 male hospital workers from two different teaching hospitals in 2013. Next, they compared the prevalence of certain bacterial strands in beards to the clean-shaven cheeks of their male hospital coworkers. Clean-shaven men were three times more likely to carry harmful bacteria, including Methicillin-resistant Staphlyococcus aureus (MRSA), than their bearded counterparts. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, MRSA is a common and dangerous hospital-acquired skin infection that’s resistant to many antibiotics currently available today. Researchers also found men without any facial hair are 10 percent more likely to carry patches of MRSA on their faces.

"Our study suggests that facial hair does not increase the overall risk of bacterial colonization compared to clean-shaven control subjects," the study’s authors wrote. "Clean-shaven control subjects exhibited higher rates of colonization with certain bacterial species."

Researchers suspect it has to do with the “microtrauma” men experience when they shave. The repeated abrasions that occur day after day help bacterial colonies grow and spread on the skin. But according to another experiment conducted in 2014, another theory is that the beards may be able to fight infection.

Off Topic because there is definitely more information to be had on the subject...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sporting a 5 inch long one now.

You should delete this before the radical feminists find it, and extrapolate that shaving is bad.

I don't think I could handle a world filled with hairy chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    You should delete this before the radical feminists find it, and extrapolate that shaving is bad.

A bit of armpit hair or stubble on their legs is no were nearly as much of a turn off than the bearded lady. Honestly tho, a radical feminist is even more of a turn off than a bearded lady imho... I couldnt handle a world filled with only radical feminists.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post

Bikini waxes should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I'm sporting a 5 inch long one now.
    :-{>

I'll believe it.

I've grown my beard out for the first time this last year, and it's been the first winter in my life where I haven't gotten sick

I have a goatee but not a full on beard. I shave my cheeks and neck mostly because it itches like crazy if I go too long without shaving.
    1776 > 1984

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've got around seven inches of whiskers right now. Funny, it just keeps growing like that. Use the Pinaud Clubman beard products on it so it says in place. You can find them at Rite Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    because it itches like crazy if I go too long without shaving.
    That's my issue, too. I can let it grow out for a bit without any bother, but eventually, once it starts getting fairly thick, it starts getting irritating as hell, and it happens every time. I'm wondering if that goes away once it reaches a certain length or something. I always end up shaving it down because it becomes so bothersome.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

As a female, I must tell you beards are disgusting and nasty. I've seen men with beards and food gets stuck in it, drinks drip down through it. I'm sick just trying to describe them. Mustaches are just as bad and disgusting ... yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    As a female, I must tell you beards are disgusting and nasty. I've seen men with beards and food gets stuck in it, drinks drip down through it. I'm sick just trying to describe them. Mustaches are just as bad and disgusting ... yuck.

As another female, I must tell you beards are wonderful. I love them. All lengths, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

As another female, I must tell you beards are wonderful. I love them. All lengths, doesn't matter.

So are you saying, the beard is good but a beard with a mustache isn't as good?
    I always thought the mustache was part of the beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    That's my issue, too. I can let it grow out for a bit without any bother, but eventually, once it starts getting fairly thick, it starts getting irritating as hell, and it happens every time. I'm wondering if that goes away once it reaches a certain length or something. I always end up shaving it down because it becomes so bothersome.
    Mine did that for around six months and then I got used to it and the itching went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So are you saying, the beard is good but a beard with a mustache isn't as good?
    I always thought the mustache was part of the beard.
    No. A beard always includes a mustache unless you're Amish or a leprechaun.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    I've always found there's a transition period that last around 2 weeks or so. It begins after about 10 days without shaving then continues for a coupe of weeks. After that, the itching pretty much goes away and the awesomeness begins.

I generally only shave in warm weather. Each winter, I become a man.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I've always found there's a transition period that last around 2 weeks or so. It begins after about 10 days without shaving then continues for a coupe of weeks. After that, the itching pretty much goes away and the awesomeness begins.

I generally only shave in warm weather. Each winter, I become a man.
    Mr Animal generally keeps his trimmed around 3 inches until the day after Christmas. He lets it grow until St Patrick's Day then he shaves his mustache and dresses up like a leprechaun (he also dyes it orange). The day after St Pat's he shaves his whole face because he looks $#@!ing ridiculous. Then he grows it back in.

One of his friends, who is rather rotund and who's hair is completely white, only shaves his when a kids calls him Santa.

So does this mean all that good bacteria in a beard could help make the lady bits healthier? Kind of like yogurt but more fun?

So does this mean all that good bacteria in a beard could help make the lady bits healthier? Kind of like yogurt but more fun?
    Maybe that's where the beard gets that bacteria.

Maybe that's where the beard gets that bacteria.
    A case of what came first?

A case of what came first?
    One never knows till some scientist does a study.

One never knows till some scientist does a study.

Then again, why do dogs have so much beneficial bacteria and people who live with dogs as well?
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/mans-bes...acteria-326632

/* Wonders how people get those bacteria in their intestines. */

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wish I could take back all the rep I've given you over the years.

Something about that combined visual is making me sick.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Wish I could take back all the rep I've given you over the years.

Something about that combined visual is making me sick.
    It's a beautiful thing.

This, however, is not....

Then again, why do dogs have so much beneficial bacteria and people who live with dogs as well?
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/mans-bes...acteria-326632

/* Wonders how people get those bacteria in their intestines. */

Bacterial flora diversity is generally the best way to go, internally and externally.

** Here is a beard care tip: **

If the beard is SO LONG that it requires wax, remember there's a winter and summer formula!

That's important since the wax does not get completely washed out frequently, so plan ahead.
    Using the wrong/opposite formula makes it too hard in winter and too runny in the summer.

This is stupid. Of course if you have something on your face, bacteria will get on that instead of your skin. That's why they make surgical masks.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:34 PM.