Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul Will Not Endorse Another Candidate in Primaries, His Staff Says

Rand Paul Will Not Endorse Another Candidate in Primaries, His Staff Says

Rand Paul Will Not Endorse Another Candidate in Primaries, His Staff Says
    He will, though, endorse the eventual GOP nominee. Which may be symbolic of why he didn't seem to catch all the Ron Paul fire. Trump, Bernie, ISIS also might bear some of the blame.

Brian Doherty
    Feb. 3, 2016 12:13 pm

While Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has dropped out of the Republican presidential race, he will not be endorsing any other particular candidate as the primaries crawl on, said Paul's campaign strategist Doug Stafford in a telephone press conference with Paul's top campaign staff this morning.

Paul does, though, intend to endorse whoever the Republican Party eventually settles on.

That's something his father Ron didn't do, and to at least a small extent that difference in political styles and attitudes may have kept big portions of Ron's support from surrounding Rand, in either giving or polling. I asked Stafford what the Rand campaign thought might have gone wrong with sustaining the perceived "Ron Paul movement."

Stafford was sure that the "Ron Paul movement does exist" but couldn't say precisely why Rand didn't seem to fully re-ignite it. "Voters shift from time time and what's most important to them is hard to capture" but he did see that there were many hundreds of kids still volunteering eagerly for Rand.

Most importantly, Stafford is sure that the issues Rand brought to the fore are still those that should energize anyone who was really into the Ron Paul thing. While "there are many issues that decide how people are going to vote, some within a candidate's control and some not" he reiterated what Rand has said: that the liberty movement is "definitely alive, marching on, and Rand will continue to be its voice in the Senate."

read more:
    http://reason.com/blog/2016/02/03/ra...-another-candi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's great to hear! Except for the nominating the eventual nominee part.

Intends...huh

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    'Intends'
    intersting word, does not say he will for sure.

meanwhile at the Jim Webb Independent for President Facebook page lots of Rand fans pushing for a Webb/Paul ticket

I was kind of shocked

https://www.facebook.com/IHeardMyCountryCalling/

Cringeworthy End

Quote Originally Posted by thatpeculiarcat View Post
    That's great to hear! Except for the nominating the eventual nominee part.
    Yeah, I have a problem with that, too. Why would Sen. Paul endorse the eventual nominee, if all of the potential nominees left contradict his exclusive fiscal conservative views and noninterventionist foreign policy?
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    Yeah, I have a problem with that, too. Why would Sen. Paul endorse the eventual nominee, if all of the potential nominees left contradict his exclusive fiscal conservative views and noninterventionist foreign policy?
    Because he promised he would.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

So they can't claim his 2012 endorsement of the nominee was for political game instead of playing by the unwritten party rules.

Endorsement of a candidate does not mean you support them on everything. It is a token measure you have to go through the motion if you want the party to not relegate you to a powerless position on an unimportant Senate committee, and to not prevent all of your legislative efforts from coming to a vote. If an endorsement alone is enough to sway your vote then you have your own issues, and if it doesn't sway your vote and you think for yourself, then why does it matter?
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Supporting His Enemies

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Endorsement of a candidate does not mean you support them on everything. It is a token measure you have to go through the motion if you want the party to not relegate you to a powerless position on an unimportant Senate committee, and to not prevent all of your legislative efforts from coming to a vote. If an endorsement alone is enough to sway your vote then you have your own issues, and if it doesn't sway your vote and you think for yourself, then why does it matter?
    I understand the "politics" behind the endorsement, but what I'm concerned about is the image it displays about Sen. Paul, since he has gone after all of the potential nominees as being weak on balance budgets as well as their bloodthirsty eagerness to send "our sons and daughters" to die for regime changes in the Middle East. It's just a blatant inconsistency on Sen. Paul's part.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I understand the "politics" behind the endorsement, but what I'm concerned about is the image it displays about Sen. Paul, since he has gone after all of the potential nominees as being weak on balance budgets as well as their bloodthirsty eagerness to send "our sons and daughters" to die for regime changes in the Middle East. It's just a blatant inconsistency on Sen. Paul's part.
    If people are fooled by the image of a meaningless endorsement instead of looking at the policies the senator stands for on the senate floor and on the campaign trail, that's on them.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Ron has endorsed some stinkers in his day, too. He understands the game.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I kinda wish they waited a few days to release this statement though. It is amusing watching the press give him all this attention because they want to see who he will endorse.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Because he promised he would.
    Don't make promises you should not keep.

unless its Trump. do not endorse Trump.

Yeah, Ted Cruz,
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Then why did he endorse Chuck Baldwin over McCain in 2008 and not Romney in 2012?

Remember he still has a senate seat to win.

A very important position indeed.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post

So 2-4x a year he can make a grand speech in the Senate about voting or not voting for this or that.
    Ted Cruz likes to take credit but I didn't even know who Rand Paul was, or that Obama wanted to bomb Assad until Rand made headlines for protesting it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post

So 2-4x a year he can make a grand speech in the Senate about voting or not voting for this or that.
    Of course but you whould be happy if he lost his senate seat and died in a car crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ding, ding, ding
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

Ron did it too.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Then he cannot do what he is doing from the Republican Party. Because endorsing the nominee is an unwritten rule.

I'm sure you're saying, fine, leave the Republican Party. Ok, then he would give up sitting on the committees he is on and losing 99% of the influence he now has. Which would be dumber than dirt.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Very smart. If he had endorsed Cruz, I would have been incredibly steamed and so would have many of the grassroots folks I know.

It's crucial that Rand not only not endorse any of these monkeys during the primary...

...it's CRUCIAL that he not endorse Trump, if he's the winner.

We need to think about Senate & White House relations for the next 4 to 8 years.

If Rand endorses Trump...that is the one and only thing which will cause me to stop supporting Rand.

He MUST not do that.

SOMEONE has to be in a position to resist that $#@!tard's administration.

...I'm about 95% certain Clinton will beat him, mind you, but just in case.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 02-03-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, Rand needs to grab a set of balls for goodness sakes !! Just like the author said, Rand will not endorse another candidate until he becomes the republican nominee; something his father Ron would have never done.

Rand.... go grow some son !!! WTF?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not endorsing a candidate 10 years ago was dangerous, however with the current anti-establishment mood, it seems like a middle finger to the RNC could play well.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by messana View Post
    Then why did he endorse Chuck Baldwin over McCain in 2008 and not Romney in 2012?
    I'm sure he has answered that question a few times since then.

Agreed 100%. But his dad made bad promises.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

He is better off throwing his weight into a few congressional and state races.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Because he's not a his dad, therefore he believes in lesser of 2 evils.

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    Not endorsing a candidate 10 years ago was dangerous, however with the current anti-establishment mood, it seems like a middle finger to the RNC could play well.
    The RNC couldn't care less what he says, or else he'd not be so low in polls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast