Thread: For defying no-call lists, Dish faces potential fines totaling $24 billion

For defying no-call lists, Dish faces potential fines totaling $24 billion

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/for-def...%28GeekWire%29

Dish’s telemarketers allegedly failed to heed no-call lists, and the satellite-TV provider may be fined up to $24 billion, a sum larger than the company’s current market value.

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) is seeking $900 million in civil penalties, according to a report by Ars Technica. Four states — Ohio, Illinois, California, and North Carolina — want fines that would total more than $23 billion. Dish’s market capitalization is $22 billion. A judge has already ruled that Dish and its contractors made 55 million calls that violated federal law by using recorded messages, Ars reported. They also are accused of calling people who added their phone numbers to no-call lists, created to provide consumers a means to shield themselves from telemarketers.

A trial will decide whether Dish is liable for the conduct of its contractors and whether Dish managers knew they were breaking the law. Dish spokespeople responded to the requested fines by saying the company was shocked by the fine amounts. They noted the fines were far larger than those requested in similar cases.

What’s telling about all this is, yes, some telemarketers ignore the no-call restrictions, as many of us suspected. But the good news is someone in the government is actually doing something about it.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a non-story. The final bill to Dish will not exceed 24 million.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    What’s telling about all this is, yes, some telemarketers ignore the no-call restrictions, as many of us suspected. But the good news is someone in the government is actually doing something about it.

C'mon "geek"... If you're so smart why can't you figure out a free market solution to this problem? How about an app-based telemarketer blocker? Make an easy way to flag the number, then everybody else who has the app will start automatically blocking that number and keep a log with the blocked calls that were received somewhere in the app?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Last edited by mrsat_98; 02-03-2016 at 07:05 AM.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is a non-story. The final bill to Dish will not exceed 24 million.
    Capitol One settled for 75 million.

I can't say I'm really broken up about this. I actually kind of wish they would hit Verizon next.

There was a period a few years ago where they would call and offer me phone and Internet for $50, & I would reply great that means my current service of phone and Internet that $70 will get reduced by $20 right? And you can hear something snap inside of these peoples heads. They couldn't process that a they called a guy who already had service to offer that guy the exact same service from the same company.

I had to talk to two different managers before I found out that it was a contractor and not Verizon, and therefore they had no power to reduce my bill. And after I went on the National Do Not Call list, and after I talk to two other managers requesting they stop calling me, it then took me physically screaming at the top of my lungs at two other different telemarketers before they finally got the picture that I really didn't want them to call anymore.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    But the good news is someone in the government is actually doing something about it.
    It's never good news when the government does something about anything.

And if that "something" is the destruction of a company with a market value in the multiple billions (and that "anything" is the mere making of annoying phone calls in violation of some statutory regulation), then it isn't just "not good news" - it's also incredibly vicious and stupid ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    It's never good news when the government does something about anything.

And if that "something" is the destruction of a company with a market value in the multiple billions (and that "anything" is the mere making of annoying phone calls in violation of some statutory regulation), then it isn't just "not good news" - it's also incredibly vicious and stupid ...
    The application of the fines is sponsored in part, no doubt, by DirecTV.

The best business to be in is in the business of government. Prohibit competition, or just fine them out of existence.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was told that DirectTV was bought by AT&T and that Dish Network is pretty much $#@!ed. That's why certain channels frequently aren't available on Dish. That same person told me that both Dish and Direct were getting fined by the Obama admin for not meeting some federal requirements in their service and since AT&T bought Direct they would be able to pay it off but Dish wasn't going to be able to. The person who told me that was trying to get me to switch to DirectTv so I figured it was probably bull$#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I was told that DirectTV was bought by AT&T and that Dish Network is pretty much $#@!ed. That's why certain channels frequently aren't available on Dish. That same person told me that both Dish and Direct were getting fined by the Obama admin for not meeting some federal requirements in their service and since AT&T bought Direct they would be able to pay it off but Dish wasn't going to be able to. The person who told me that was trying to get me to switch to DirectTv so I figured it was probably bull$#@!.
    It is Bull $#@!e DirecTV was bought by at&t BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAPER THAN BUILDING the programing for uverse. i.e. buy an up and running one. then it made more sense to just deliver tv by satellite.

Dish drops channels because of hard negotiating by charlie ergen dish ceo or former ceo, he owns most of the stock.