Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'The Property Clause' Article 4 Section 3 Cause 2 (Let the Records Show!)

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Thomas Jefferson sure thought it was conceivable.
    Yet Jefferson was apparently persuaded by Madison and others that the Treaty Power gave him and the Senate the authority to effect the Louisiana Purchase.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Yet Jefferson was apparently persuaded by Madison and others that the Treaty Power gave him and the Senate the authority to effect the Louisiana Purchase.
    ...And what exactly did he do with those lands? Did he go and create a BLM, FS, DFS, FWS, NPS, et al, to rule over it via federal regulations and costumed goon-squads with weapons and hi-tech?

Fast forward today, it is epically disgraceful:

The federal government owns roughly 640 million acres, about 28% of the 2.27 billion acres of
    land in the United States.
    https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42346.pdf
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't believe that's accurate. And it still goes against what you said about the inconceivability of the position.

More importantly, the Louisiana purchase was not for a park or wildlife refuge. Owning land doesn't give the federal government license to use that land to exercise unconstitutional powers.

If the federal government does something on its property that violates a specific constitutional provision, it would be unconstitutional -- e.g., if it required that all park rangers had to be white Methodists.

IV.3.2 would be unnecessary if Congress were limited to the uses set forth in I.8.17. It follows that IV.3.2 must grant Congress power in addition to that contained in I.8.17.
    The 10th Amendment is a specific constitutional provision.

The Constitution doesn't limit the federal government primarily by listing things it can't do, but by enumerating the things it can, and forbidding it to exercise any powers outside those enumerated.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I don't believe that's accurate. And it still goes against what you said about the inconceivability of the position.

More importantly, the Louisiana purchase was not for a park or wildlife refuge. Owning land doesn't give the federal government license to use that land to exercise unconstitutional powers.
    II.3.2 is a grant of power over federal lands -- a power that's independent of the other powers granted under I.8. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

Look, this isn't rocket science. I.8.17 is limited by its terms to land acquired by cession or purchase from the States. Once you concede that the federal government can acquire land by other methods (e.g., a treaty), then the next question is: who gets to decide what to do with that land? The answer under the Constitution is plain: Congress does, per III.3.2. And there's absolutely nothing in the Property Clause that restricts what Congress must do with that property. There's nothing about forming States out of it; nothing about selling it; nothing about turning it over to existing States; nothing about having to use it for forts, magazines, arsenals, etc.. III.3.2 clearly and unambiguously gives Congress the discretion to determine what to do with the property. And if Congress decides to do something that doesn't violate some other constitutional provision, then its action with respect to the property is obviously constitutional.
    Last edited by Sonny Tufts; 02-08-2016 at 08:59 AM.

II.3.2 is a grant of power over federal lands -- a power that's independent of the other powers granted under I.8. It doesn't get any clearer than that.
    Where's the part about parks and wildlife refuges?

Look, this isn't rocket science. I.8.17 is limited by its terms to land acquired by cession or purchase from the States. Once you concede that the federal government can acquire land by other methods (e.g., a treaty), then the next question is: who gets to decide what to do with that land? The answer under the Constitution is plain: Congress does, per II.3.2. And there's absolutely nothing in the Property Clause that restricts what Congress must do with that property. There's nothing about forming States out of it; nothing about selling it; nothing about turning it over to existing States; nothing about having to use it for forts, magazines, arsenals, etc.. III.3.2 clearly and unambiguously gives Congress the discretion to determine what to do with the property. And if Congress decides to do something that doesn't violate some other constitutional provision, then its action with respect to the property is obviously constitutional.
    II.3.2, III.3.2?

Not entirely. It provides only the grant of power to own, to dispose of, and to legislate over such lands, only as is NEEDFUL--ergo, to be constitutional, the question is not does it violate another provision of the U.S. Constitution, but does the U.S. Constitution whatsoever afford the provision.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

Why the land management actions of the FedGov are unconstitutional:

A wonderful read. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    A wonderful read. Thanks for sharing
    Thanks for reading it... I see 'someone' on Ytube is bizzy already 'scrubbing' out great Art 1/Sec8 vids...
    like the supporting video I posted in OP.
    s'ok.. you can't 'scrub' away an 'idea'.

besides... I found another source lolollol
    Cheers,
    Last edited by goldenequity; 02-12-2016 at 06:23 AM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12