Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpinionSavvy Iowa poll 1/29-1/30 - Rand 8.6%

OpinionSavvy Iowa poll 1/29-1/30 - Rand 8.6%

OpinionSavvy appears to be a legit polling company, although not long established

As reported by Newsmax:
    http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/trum.../31/id/712079/

Trump 20.1%
    Cruz 19.4%
    Rubio 18.6%
    Carson 9.0%
    Paul 8.6%

Bush 4.9%
    Huckabee 4.4%
    Kasich 4.0%
    Fiorina 3.8%
    Christie 3.0%
    Undecided 2.2%
    Santorum 2.1%

Sample size is 887 and margin of error = 3.2%
    Release: http://opinionsavvy.com/2016/01/31/2851/
    Polling methodology and crosstabs: http://opinionsavvy.com/wp-content/u...wa-1.30.15.pdf
    Last edited by Crashland; 01-31-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1st place for Paul in that poll amongst 18-29 year olds, almost 1st amongst 30-44 year old, ridiculously low above that age. Lets hope this year there will be a massive youth turnout....
    I'm a bit of a statistical junkie. I like to analyze or sum up polling or voting data. That doesn't mean that I believe all the pollmakers - I simply dont know most of the time if they counterfeit their data because of an agenda or not. It's just the only data I have to work with.
    And I love the message of liberty!

Man, I hope we crush it tomorrow and come in first with a 5%+ lead.
    Sanity Check Radio Show
    http://www.SanityCheckRadioShow.com

This poll I think will be closer to the actual results. If Rand can finish above Carson, or break into double digits then he will have some momentum. Anything better than that would be quite a miracle but let's wait and see! Come on college students!
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Excellent find, great upward movement for Rand. I don't see the firm here...
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/interacti...lster-ratings/

..but it appears to be a very comprehensive study.

Thanks.

I'm still baffled by Carson's support.

Quote Originally Posted by MCJ62 View Post
    I'm still baffled by Carson's support.
    Considering all the other candidates, I'm more baffled that they have support at all.... Carson at least seems to be a nice person.
    I'm a bit of a statistical junkie. I like to analyze or sum up polling or voting data. That doesn't mean that I believe all the pollmakers - I simply dont know most of the time if they counterfeit their data because of an agenda or not. It's just the only data I have to work with.
    And I love the message of liberty!

Biggest key in the poll.

via landline Rand got 1.7%
    via mobile Rand got 26.5%

even for 2nd choice:
    via landline Rand got 5.8%
    via mobile Rand got 17.6%

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also interesting - 31.6% of Rand Paul supporters chose Rand Paul as their second choice, the highest percentage of any candidate where they picked the same person :-P

Life, Liberty, Logic

How much weight did they give to mobile users in this poll? If it's small then Rand could be doing even better in reality.

Massive age gap. In this poll, 92% of Rand's supporters are under age 45.

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Massive age gap. In this poll, 92% of Rand's supporters are under age 45.
    That's about the cut-off point for people who don't get their information spoon-fed to them by talk radio and the idiot box. My father uses the internet occasionally, but never for his news, he's always onto some dope on talk radio or listening to what Fox News has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    Biggest key in the poll.

via landline Rand got 1.7%
    via mobile Rand got 26.5%

even for 2nd choice:
    via landline Rand got 5.8%
    via mobile Rand got 17.6%
    Most landline people get their news from television or radio, I'm actually surprised that Rand's numbers for 2nd choice via landline were that high. It's interesting to note that this poll was conducted prior to Cruz's blunder with that mailer, so we may end up with even better numbers and Cruz will probably be hurting more.
    Last edited by hells_unicorn; 01-31-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by groverblue View Post
    Man, I hope we crush it tomorrow and come in first with a 5%+ lead.
    Me too, but the weather not going to be worth a $#@!.. Let's hope the young people get out.

Last edited by CPUd; 01-31-2016 at 10:24 PM.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Also interesting is this poll threw out all repondents that will "probably" attend or didn't know for certain where their caucus was. For the latter, I could see a lot of students being thrown out of the sample.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I dont get the youth appeal to Rubio..
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

On the topic of this poll:

I'm not familiar with this polling company, but NewsMax is a trusted name in GOP circles and this polling company seems to be doing their homework on how to properly get a sample with a reasonable margin of error. The interesting thing here is that Trump, Cruz and Rubio are all in a statistical tie for 1st place, which means that Trump's lead in other polling data in Iowa has been largely fictitious.

Whether or not Rand comes in 4th place or higher will largely depend on turnout if these numbers have any accuracy, given that they sampled people over 45 to a greater number by 20%, which is less of a discrepancy than the other polls but would not show a massive youth turnout for Rand. It's also interesting to note that Trump's publicity stunt at the last debate didn't go over well in Iowa given that most of the people sampled didn't watch it.

Wow looks like Rand is within strikin distance to get top 3

I really have no idea what's going to happen at this point. I'm just ready for tomorrow night to finally get here.

Last edited by CPUd; 01-31-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Now we see why Rand is so damn confident and that his campaign is setting the expectation for possibly winning the caucus, that is a very large expectation to set.

Keep making calls! Calls is what identified all those potential supporters and calls is what will turn them out to vote.

Stop hoping, start calling!
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

trump paul 1 and 2.....rubio 3? my prediction....but i hope for a number 1 for paul!!
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Man, if we could just take out Rubio tomorrow night. Rand come in at #3, whooooooooooooohooooooooooooo..... Trump/Cruz/Paul ... That's what I realistically hope for tomorrow night. Rand can take Cruz out, easily after that.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well if this is correct then what a couple people were saying earlier about Rand being at 9% on the last day of the dmr poll could be accurate. Add in the fact that there was no info/crosstabs released from the dmr poll and it could be highly likely Rand is trending upward going into the caucus. I'd also guess that the pollsters are erring on the side of caution when it comes to young people and cell phone users. This also goes into rand's favor as his current numbers could be at 10%. With a moe of 3% this should put his numbers at anywhere from 7 to 13 percent. Most likely on the top side of that margin of error.

Hoping for a Cruz collapse more than anything. Rand stands to gain from it if it happens

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Man, if we could just take out Rubio tomorrow night. Rand come in at #3, whooooooooooooohooooooooooooo..... Trump/Cruz/Paul ... That's what I realistically hope for tomorrow night. Rand can take Cruz out, easily after that.
    I'd rather Rand out perform Cruz. If the top 3 was Rand/Trump/Rubio that would be fine because then Rubio is likely the go to establishment/moderate for NH.

If it's Rand/Trump/Cruz, then you're still going to get an establishment/moderate out of NH, which could be Rubio, Bush, Kasich or Christie.

Rand finishing strong in Iowa would be a major surprise upset.

How can Cruz be so dumb to drop the ball at the very last second.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    I'd rather Rand out perform Cruz. If the top 3 was Rand/Trump/Rubio that would be fine because then Rubio is likely the go to establishment/moderate for NH.

If it's Rand/Trump/Cruz, then you're still going to get an establishment/moderate out of NH, which could be Rubio, Bush, Kasich or Christie.
    I would prefer that too, but I'm trying to be realistic. If we can get Rand into third slot, I will climb Mount Everest next week. Think of it as a horse race. Always keep your horse in reach, but never bring him to the front too quickly. Have him well positioned in the back stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Rand finishing strong in Iowa would be a major surprise upset.

How can Cruz be so dumb to drop the ball at the very last second.
    Last day of the month. He is waiting for his next Goldman Sachs check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast