Thread: Father charged with homicide after police fatally shot his 12-year-old daughter

Father charged with homicide after police fatally shot his 12-year-old daughter

The father of a 12-year-old Pennsylvania girl accidentally shot and killed in her home by a police officer earlier this month has been charged in her death, The New York Times reported Friday.

Ciara Meyer was fatally shot while standing behind her father, 57-year-old Donald Meyer Jr., during a confrontation with Constable Clark Steele as he attempted to evict the family from their home outside of Harrisburg around 10 a.m. on Jan. 11.

After Donald Meyer insisted the family was allowed to remain at the residence until midnight and pointed a semiautomatic rifle at Steele's chest, the officer fired one round into Meyer's left arm, which then struck Ciara Meyer and pierced her heart and lung. She was found dead by paramedics in the kitchen of the two-bedroom apartment.

Steele immediately suspended himself from duty and will not face charges in Ciara Meyer's death as he acted in self-defense "in fear for his life," according to a police affidavit and Perry County district attorney Andrew J. Bender.

Ciara Meyer's father was charged with homicide, involuntary manslaughter, terroristic threats and endangering the welfare of a child, among other charges.

"The investigation showed but for Mr. [Donald] Meyer's reckless actions, Ciara would still be here," Bender said in a statement. “Mr. Meyer’s reckless conduct, knowing that his daughter was standing behind him, triggered a chain of events that tragically led to the death of Ciara Meyer."

Donald Meyer and Steele had met at least twice before his daughter's death, when Steele visited the home to deliver paperwork notifying the family of the impending eviction due to several months of unpaid rent, Penn Live reported.

Donald Meyer had been committed to a mental institution in 2011 and was not legally allowed to possess a firearm, though officers found multiple other rifles and rounds of ammunition in the home, the Times reported.

Both Meyer and his wife, who was asleep on the couch at the time Ciara Meyer was shot, are unemployed and on disability. Official's do not plan to file

In an interview with CBS 21 following his arraignment, Meyer claimed law enforcement "stole everything" from him.

“They are responsible for the murder and the shooting of my daughter and me. And now it’s a big cover-up," Meyer said. "They are charging me for a felony for protecting my family."
    http://mashable.com/2016/01/29/ciara.../#H4AvIlWqYkqh
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Police are like vampires, they have a hard time looking in the mirror. If they did, they would see who shot the kid.