Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Tea

Hot Tea

Tea talk.

I love hot tea and I've been trying to expand my horizons beyond green, black, and white. I ordered some Hibiscus off of Amazon and wasn't impressed but I'm trying to choke it down. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Add enough honey to kill the taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Add enough honey to kill the taste.
    I only use honey when I'm sick. I'm sweet enough already.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I only use honey when I'm sick. I'm sweet enough already.
    Use some when the tea is sick.

I like blackberry tea. In fact, I was just talking to someone on chat the other night and they said they were drinking hot tea. It was mint tea.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Put some blackberry brandy in it. Seriously. Try it. Make sure it's good brandy, though.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 01-30-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    I like blackberry tea. In fact, I was just talking to someone on chat the other night and they said they were drinking hot tea. It was mint tea.
    That sounds good. Do you buy it at the grocery store or online?

That sounds good. Do you buy it at the grocery store or online?
    I got it online. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&sr=8-1-spons

But there are 29 different flavors. Maybe not the best but I like it because it is sweet.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    I got it online. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&sr=8-1-spons

But there are 29 different flavors. Maybe not the best but I like it because it is sweet.
    Nice. Thanks. I buy some peach tea. It's suppose to be for weight loss but I buy it because it's awesome. Smells like real peaches.

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Me...=tko+peach+tea

Nice. Thanks. I buy some peach tea. It's suppose to be for weight loss but I buy it because it's awesome. Smells like real peaches.

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Me...=tko+peach+tea
    Yeah, that's kind of expensive. I suppose since it has all of those other ingredients blended in there, though.

Chester Copperpot

Earl Grey tea is fantastic... will even give me a nice buzz at times... i buy good loose tea and use a diffuser but some places from down in south carolina are exceptional even with teabags..

I never ever liked honey in my tea as a kid.. always preferred white sugar, however that stopped when I tried it with raw honey.. fantastic.. i would never go back to sugar.

different honeys go with different teas.. like white tea and raspberry blossom honey (raw) are exceptionally good together...

i like to use raw cream also...

believe it or not i drink the tea so much that Im crediting it as the reason I no longer like pepsi or coca-cola... I even get the pepsi with sugar and the mexican coke in the glass bottle also made with sugar.. theyve always had much better tastes than the HFCS soda but now I dont even like them... im guessing my taste buds have gotten used to raw honey instead..

its not a bad thing from a healthy eating point of view...

raw honey will not raise your blood sugar nor your insulin so it doesnt contribute to bodyfat gain

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Earl Grey tea is fantastic... will even give me a nice buzz at times... i buy good loose tea and use a diffuser but some places from down in south carolina are exceptional even with teabags..

I never ever liked honey in my tea as a kid.. always preferred white sugar, however that stopped when I tried it with raw honey.. fantastic.. i would never go back to sugar.

different honeys go with different teas.. like white tea and raspberry blossom honey (raw) are exceptionally good together...

i like to use raw cream also...

believe it or not i drink the tea so much that Im crediting it as the reason I no longer like pepsi or coca-cola... I even get the pepsi with sugar and the mexican coke in the glass bottle also made with sugar.. theyve always had much better tastes than the HFCS soda but now I dont even like them... im guessing my taste buds have gotten used to raw honey instead..

its not a bad thing from a healthy eating point of view...

raw honey will not raise your blood sugar nor your insulin so it doesnt contribute to bodyfat gain
    I just drink mine plain. I happen to enjoy it that way. I do like to add the honey when I'm sick though. Not sure if it really helps but even if it's just mental, I feel better. I use either local honey or the Manuka from Trader Joes.

Yeah, that's true. Some teas do kind of give you a little buzz. It's relaxing.

Rooibos tea for me. Nice and dark. I usually make a big pot and when it's cold I add ice and lemon juice.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Rooibos tea for me. Nice and dark. I usually make a big pot and when it's cold I add ice and lemon juice.
    So weird. I was reading about that tea when I decided to start this thread.

http://www.healthdigezt.com/why-rooibos-tea-is-boss/

Great minds

So weird. I was reading about that tea when I decided to start this thread.

http://www.healthdigezt.com/why-rooibos-tea-is-boss/

Great minds
    Just never ever drink tea with artificial tastes. Natural stuff is tea, the rest is a commercially produced beverage.
    "I am a bird"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try it with vodka, makes it much better.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Iced tea with vodka's an Icepick. I guess that would be a Hotpick.

In Austria we'd usually have a cup of 'Jagatee', which is tea with some special herb-liquor, like Jägermeister. It's a very good way to start your skiing day.
    "I am a bird"

Hey thanks for the tip about raw honey.
    I've been drinking tea for years. Mostly Lipton with a little sugar but trying to cut that out. The raw honey may be the ticket. I always though I would try the loose leaf tea at some point. I've tasted some in the tea stores but never went to the trouble of making it. After this tread got me thinking of trying that route again

As far as vodka a favorite summer drink is unsweetened ice tea-vodka-peach schnapps to desired sweetness. Called them Ice Picks.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Don't know if you've seen this, Suz, but it's a good read.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/73943...per-tea-making

Orwell makes one point in this article that tea is supposed to be bitter, like beer. So kudos for drinking it without sweetener already.

Tea is like beer in another respect. You walk into the tea aisle and it's a lot like the beer aisle: big name brands you've heard of dominating the shelves, and if you're lucky you'll get some offerings from smaller entities. There are even individual plantations known for their specific tea, similar to how you'll only find one specific wine coming from one valley in California.

I don't drink tea that doesn't actually have tea in it, so I can't comment on the herbals. But saying "black tea" or "green tea" is like saying "red wine" or "white wine". There's so much variation in those categories that they are totally different things.

If you want a proper cup the way Orwell suggests, I recommend picking up some of this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bewleys-Dublin.../dp/B000GBXG2C

Brew this for exactly 2 minutes and add just enough whole milk to lose transparency. My mouth literally waters thinking about it.

If you drink that back-to-back with, say, a cup of Barry's - which is the only verifiably Irish tea from Ireland you'll find in a supermarket - you can definitely tell the difference. The Barry's is much more bitter, going straight up to the line between pleasant and unpleasant. So here we have not just two black teas, but two Irish style teas, and the Bewley's is heavenly, and I've relegated Barry's to filler.

Also, if you collect black teas, make sure never to store Irish tea and English tea in the same spot.

As far as green teas, same variation. You'll find some variation between gunpowder teas, but they all are pretty similar (think like merlot, some are way better but you have to drink a lot of them to get to the point of noticing).
    But if you get Yun Wu (and I recommend you do), it's pretty different from gunpowder (which you should also have - gunpowder goes perfectly with Chinese takeout).
    I also keep some jasmine pearl around for my daughter (who is a bigger fan than I am). And pomegranate seems pretty popular to add to green tea - I haven't gone wrong with any pomegranate greens I've tried so far.

Two to stay away from until you're ready are Lapsang Souchang, and Pu Erh.
    Lapsang Souchang smells like a campfire in a can. When you brew it, it smells and tastes like a campfire in a cup. I like it. I've not met another human being who does as well.
    Pu Erh is intentionally left to mold. It takes on a fishy taste. I like it. I've not met another human being who does as well.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Thanks! + rep.

I had no idea you were a tea aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Don't know if you've seen this, Suz, but it's a good read.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/73943...per-tea-making

Orwell makes one point in this article that tea is supposed to be bitter, like beer. So kudos for drinking it without sweetener already.

Tea is like beer in another respect. You walk into the tea aisle and it's a lot like the beer aisle: big name brands you've heard of dominating the shelves, and if you're lucky you'll get some offerings from smaller entities. There are even individual plantations known for their specific tea, similar to how you'll only find one specific wine coming from one valley in California.

I don't drink tea that doesn't actually have tea in it, so I can't comment on the herbals. But saying "black tea" or "green tea" is like saying "red wine" or "white wine". There's so much variation in those categories that they are totally different things.

If you want a proper cup the way Orwell suggests, I recommend picking up some of this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bewleys-Dublin.../dp/B000GBXG2C

Brew this for exactly 2 minutes and add just enough whole milk to lose transparency. My mouth literally waters thinking about it.

If you drink that back-to-back with, say, a cup of Barry's - which is the only verifiably Irish tea from Ireland you'll find in a supermarket - you can definitely tell the difference. The Barry's is much more bitter, going straight up to the line between pleasant and unpleasant. So here we have not just two black teas, but two Irish style teas, and the Bewley's is heavenly, and I've relegated Barry's to filler.

Also, if you collect black teas, make sure never to store Irish tea and English tea in the same spot.

As far as green teas, same variation. You'll find some variation between gunpowder teas, but they all are pretty similar (think like merlot, some are way better but you have to drink a lot of them to get to the point of noticing).
    But if you get Yun Wu (and I recommend you do), it's pretty different from gunpowder (which you should also have - gunpowder goes perfectly with Chinese takeout).
    I also keep some jasmine pearl around for my daughter (who is a bigger fan than I am). And pomegranate seems pretty popular to add to green tea - I haven't gone wrong with any pomegranate greens I've tried so far.

Two to stay away from until you're ready are Lapsang Souchang, and Pu Erh.
    Lapsang Souchang smells like a campfire in a can. When you brew it, it smells and tastes like a campfire in a cup. I like it. I've not met another human being who does as well.
    Pu Erh is intentionally left to mold. It takes on a fishy taste. I like it. I've not met another human being who does as well.

Go to Log Cabin Tea Company's web site. They are located in Alabama. I found out about them at a regional craft and gift fair. They have a lot of tea varieties, including fruit teas with hibiscus. My favorites are Blue Mango Green Tea and Mama's Colada (with pineapple, coconut, and hibiscus). Awesome stuff. Mama's Colada is the nectar of the gods, and that's no joke.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I hear coca tea is nice.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

I hear coca tea is nice.
    brewed cacao is even better

Hibiscus and Rosehips is a great tea combination. Lot's of vitamin C. I drink this mainly in the winter time when I know colds and Flu's are all around me. Although this season I slacked off of drinking this and got the creepy crud--that should teach me!

Rosehip and Hibiscus Tea Benefits
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...-tea-benefits/

Rose Hips & Hibiscus Organic Tea
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/good-...-tea-20-bags-s
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I hear coca tea is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    brewed cacao is even better
    I've got caco powder. Do you put that in tea? The only thing I ever put in tea is honey (when I'm sick), occasionally a lemon, and cinnamon (I use that fairly regularly). I keep meaning to try ginger and lemon, I've heard that's a good combo.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Hibiscus and Rose Hips is a great tea combination. Lot's of vitamin C. I drink this mainly in the winter time when I know colds and Flu's are all around me. Although this season I slacked off of drinking this and got the creepy crud--that should teach me!

Rosehip and Hibiscus Tea Benefits
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/32...-tea-benefits/

Rose Hips & Hibiscus Organic Tea
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/good-...-tea-20-bags-s
    Hibiscus doesn't taste good to me. I'm trying to choke it down, though.

Hibiscus all by itself isn't all that great, but when combined with sweeter ingredients, it provides a very nice zing. Look up Log Cabin Tea. They have a FB page and a regular web site.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Hibiscus all by itself isn't all that great, but when combined with sweeter ingredients, it provides a very nice zing. Look up Log Cabin Tea. They have a FB page and a regular web site.
    Will do! That's a good idea to mix it with something else. It tastes really tart to me, like unsweetened cranberry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast