Thread: KY Gov. Matt Bevin issues "price gouging" emergency order

Thumbs down KY Gov. Matt Bevin issues "price gouging" emergency order

Statist logic: "When things become more valuable, they shouldn't be permitted to actually become more valuable."

Bevin is supposed to be one of "ours" - but per usual, when the rubber meets the road ...

Gov. Bevin issues Price Gouging Emergency Order during winter storm
    http://www.wlky.com/news/Gov-Bevin-i...storm/37599590
    WLKY (23 January 2016)

Gov. Matt Bevin has issued an order aimed at protecting customers from price gouging during the winter storm, which has affected most of the commonwealth.

The price gouging emergency order is effective as of 7 a.m. Saturday.

“In coordination with state authorities, I have put in effect prohibitions on price gouging in order to ensure Kentuckians pay appropriate prices on essential services and supplies during this winter storm,” said Bevin.

[...]

The order allows the Attorney General’s Office to, “Be on the lookout for consumers and prosecute, where appropriate, any instances of price gouging including, generators, building supplies, chainsaws, hotel rooms and other necessary goods and services at an exorbitant price in a time of disaster.”

The order will remain in place for 30 days, but may be extended past that time as needed.

“Kentuckians should never be subjected to price gouging by retailers and this is especially true during a natural disaster,” Attorney General Andy Beshear said.

[...]
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-26-2016 at 05:13 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Ummm what???
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Well there's a bad idea. Now when someone desperately needs a generator to actually save a life, there won't be any left.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Well there's a bad idea. Now when someone desperately needs a generator to actually save a life, there won't be any left.
    I recall seeing a piece John Stossel did (for "20/20" I think) back after hurricane Katrina ...

Apparently, the people down there were getting countless truckloads of donated bottled water - so much of it that they could have gone swimming in the stuff if they had wanted to. Some lady who was being interviewed said that they didn't want or need any more water, but that they desperately needed generators. Some guy in Tennessee or (ironically) Kentucky saw the interview and managed to put together enough money to rent a truck and buy a bunch of generators from Lowe's or Home Depot or some such place. (This guy was unemployed at the time, IIRC.) Then he headed down there to sell those generators to the people who so badly needed them. Of course, he charged as much as the market would bear - and as a result, after selling a few of them, he was reported and arrested for "price gouging." All the remaining generators he had were seized and warehoused as "evidence" of his "crime"- and throughout the rest of the aftermath of the Katrina disaster, those brand-new generators gathered dust, remaining unused by anyone ...

As part of his story, Stossel interviewed the prosecutor who had handled the case.

The smug prick actually boasted about how he had "protected" the victims of Katrina from the vile depredations of an exploitative "price gouging" interloper ...

(I leave it as an exercise for the reader to consider what kind of incentives were thereby signalled to others who might have acted to fill the urgent need for generators - were potential suppliers more likely to say "hey, let's get some generators down there to those people!" or were they more likely to say "meh, to hell with it!" ... ?)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-26-2016 at 05:34 AM.

Well. Heh. It makes me feel better knowing we're okay with the govt spending a hundred dollars or so for a hammer. Whackobirds.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    Well. Heh. It makes me feel better knowing we're okay with the govt spending a hundred dollars or so for a hammer. Whackobirds.
    What does that have to do with the price of rooster eggs in China?

Ummm , did not the snow all start to melt by Mon ? Hotel prices are locked in for four weeks ? WTF ? What am I missing here ?

Makes me want to send Bevine a truck load of bottled water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I recall seeing a piece John Stossel did (for "20/20" I think) back after hurricane Katrina ...

Apparently, the people down there were getting countless truckloads of donated bottled water - so much of it that they could have gone swimming in the stuff if they had wanted to. Some lady who was being interviewed said that they didn't want or need any more water, but that they desperately needed generators. Some guy in Tennessee or (ironically) Kentucky saw the interview and managed to put together enough money to rent a truck and buy a bunch of generators from Lowe's or Home Depot or some such place. (This guy was unemployed at the time, IIRC.) Then he headed down there to sell those generators to the people who so badly needed them. Of course, he charged as much as the market would bear - and as a result, after selling a few of them, he was reported and arrested for "price gouging." All the remaining generators he had were seized and warehoused as "evidence" of his "crime"- and throughout the rest of the aftermath of the Katrina disaster, those brand-new generators gathered dust, remaining unused by anyone ...

As part of his story, Stossel interviewed the prosecutor who had handled the case.

The smug prick actually boasted about how he had "protected" the victims of Katrina from the vile depredations of an exploitative "price gouging" interloper ...

(I leave it as an exercise for the reader to consider what kind of incentives were thereby signalled to others who might have acted to fill the urgent need for generators - were potential suppliers more likely to say "hey, let's get some generators down there to those people!" or were they more likely to say "meh, to hell with it!" ... ?)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Someone spends $250 on a snowblower, goes home, clears his driveway and parks his new purchase in the garage.

Or

Someone spends $2000 on a $250 snowblower, goes home, very carefully cleans his driveway, sidewalk, garden path etc, puts up a sign "Snow Blowing, $40 per hour" Is busy day and night to pay off his damn $2000 snowblower and all his neighbors get their driveways cleaned for a hell of a lot less than 250 bucks.
    "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

Not good.

I can't think of one example where Rand, Amash, or Massie ever said something this egregiously wrong. This isn't a topic where there is any shade of gray.

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Great example, Occam.
    Do you have sympathy for boobus who desires this? Should I have sympathy for their idiocy? Honestly, part of me does? Seeing someone hurt themselves is sad. But, I have no intentions of helping anyone but myself nowadays. Cold, but works.

be thankful it's not confiscation?