Thread: Rand Paul on The Nightly Show w/ Larry Wilmore - 11:30 pm ET

Rand Paul on The Nightly Show w/ Larry Wilmore - 11:30 pm ET

http://www.cc.com/shows/the-nightly-show

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doubt this show is getting the viewers that it did with John Stewart.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That's The Daily Show you're thinking of. A better comparison would be The Colbert Report, given how Wilmore's show took its time slot. And given how both this and Trevor Noah's Daily Show are still fairly new, just like when you get a new host for The Tonight Show, you need to give the show time to find their footing because the same people who watched the last hosts aren't all going to jump over to a new one.

They argue the other sides of the issues for fun and switch sides for fun, it really makes you understand different perspectives even when you don't want to sometimes. They talk about sides of issues that the MSM don't talk about because its not PC. They throw tea at you if they think you are telling bull$#@!. I wish Rand would do that on one of the debates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    That's The Daily Show you're thinking of. A better comparison would be The Colbert Report, given how Wilmore's show took its time slot. And given how both this and Trevor Noah's Daily Show are still fairly new, just like when you get a new host for The Tonight Show, you need to give the show time to find their footing because the same people who watched the last hosts aren't all going to jump over to a new one.
    Tough Crowd probably got better ratings than Wilmore's show--and I'm not even trying to speak from an availability heuristic here.

This interview probably won't go all that smoothly, maybe it'll be akin to Bill Maher and Ron Paul: "Yeah...but you're still not for the Civil War..."

Quote Originally Posted by thatpeculiarcat View Post
    Tough Crowd probably got better ratings than Wilmore's show--and I'm not even trying to speak from an availability heuristic here.

This interview probably won't go all that smoothly, maybe it'll be akin to Bill Maher and Ron Paul: "Yeah...but you're still not for the Civil War..."
    I've remained a fan since Wilmore started because of his more then fair coverage of Rand Paul. I think any negatives will be tongue in cheek. I'll try to be pessimistic with you though so I can be pleasantly surprised later

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I've remained a fan since Wilmore started because of his more then fair coverage of Rand Paul. I think any negatives will be tongue in cheek. I'll try to be pessimistic with you though so I can be pleasantly surprised later
    Agreed. I hope I get to eat my words. It happens sometimes.

I've seen fair coverage from Trevor Noah on Rand Paul, and they had a pretty good interview.

I've not seen any fair coverage from Wilmore on Rand Paul.. I don't watch the show very often, so hopefully there have been some good things I've missed.

Wilmore is funnier than Trevor Noah but I tend to disagree with Wilmore and his panels a lot more.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I've seen fair coverage from Trevor Noah on Rand Paul, and they had a pretty good interview.

I've not seen any fair coverage from Wilmore on Rand Paul.. I don't watch the show very often, so hopefully there have been some good things I've missed.

Wilmore is funnier than Trevor Noah but I tend to disagree with Wilmore and his panels a lot more.
    Watch this, Wilmore likes Rand, calls him a nerditarian if you watch his show at all Nerd is a compliment to Larry. He called Bernie Sanders wrong about Rand in the polite way that Wilmore does.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/7trhiv...---keep-it-100

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    That's The Daily Show you're thinking of. A better comparison would be The Colbert Report, given how Wilmore's show took its time slot.
    Correct. I used to watch both Stewart and Colbert fairly regularly, they almost went together as a single show.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Correct. I used to watch both Stewart and Colbert fairly regularly, they almost went together as a single show.
    I was wondering what was missing with Colbert's new show. It's like having a peanut butter sandwich when you have been eating PB&J all your life.

I was wondering what was missing with Colbert's new show. It's like having a peanut butter sandwich when you have been eating PB&J all your life.
    Jon Stewart is a Producer on Colbert's new show, so it's like one of those jars of PB & J together, but the jelly is in the middle of the jar and you can't see it.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Yeah, something about it is not working as well as it did with the Colbert Report. I generally go with Kimmel, unless the other guys have a guest I want to see.

Can you watch it live on the Internet?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gotta be honest. That was bizarre. Most of it was a skit. You could see Rand reading from the teleprompter. I don't know if the Goebbel's line was his or if he read it off the screen.

Weird...

Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Gotta be honest. That was bizarre. Most of it was a skit. You could see Rand reading from the teleprompter. I don't know if the Goebbel's line was his or if he read it off the screen.

Weird...
    I thought most the interview was fun and entertaining, but yea, I think Rand was mostly reading off teleprompter. They must have wrote jokes for him. Really wasn't a substantive interview, but was entertaining for what it was I thought.

I liked it. It's fun to see him loosening up a bit
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I liked it. It's fun to see him loosening up a bit
    Oh ya it was excellent, Larry Wilmore put some good words into his mouth as well - besides the policy stuff mid way through, you know he wanted to say Cruz at the end

Weird...
    Try watching the extended one thats up online. He was trying to be goofy and look into the camera I think. The extended interview adds depth the conversation where it seemed shallow on the one that aired. At the end he answered the question and said Grover Cleveland, I thought it was funny. He then said his wife said he couldn't call anybody a dick before the show in so many words.

Weird...
    That was my take too. Can't see that skit gaining any voters, or even getting much of a message out. Didn't find it particularly humorous either. Don't see the point of an "interview" like that.

Talking Video: Sen. Rand Paul Having Fun on The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore [1/25/2016]

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Hahaha, I liked that! Funny and he got a few real points in, too!
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great until he wussed out at the end. Could easily and safely have said Graham.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    Great until he wussed out at the end. Could easily and safely have said Graham.
    Graham dropped out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism