Thread: Democrats plot to take Paul's Senate seat

Democrats plot to take Paul's Senate seat

(CNN)Democrats in Washington and Kentucky, eager to seize on Sen. Rand Paul's stumbles in the Republican presidential race, are increasingly setting their sights on what once seemed unthinkable: Knocking him out of his Senate seat.

The prospects, they acknowledge, are still slim -- given Kentucky's sharp tilt to the right in recent years. But behind the scenes, Democrats are urging the wealthy mayor of Lexington, Jim Gray, to mount a campaign that he could finance partly on his own, arguing he has at least an outside shot of taking out Paul.

Paul and his team are watching Gray closely, and his decision on whether to run -- expected by the state's filing deadline next week -- could impact the Kentucky Republican's calculation on how long to stay in the presidential race.

Gray and his team met this month with Sen. Jon Tester, head of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, and senior staff to discuss his interest in running. He has spoken with a number of Kentucky Democrats, including the lone Democrat in the congressional delegation, Rep. John Yarmuth. And the advice he's been getting seems to be universal: Run against Paul.

"I think at this point he's our strongest possible candidate, without question," Yarmuth said. "It sounded to me like it was something he really wanted to do."

Tester told CNN: "I think he can absolutely be competitive in Kentucky," adding that Gray is a "very, very appealing" candidate.

Gray and Paul both declined to be interviewed.

Even as he's been focused on his presidential run over the past year, Paul's team is preparing for the likelihood of a Senate reelection bid and leaving nothing to chance, according to several people involved in the discussions. They say that they are still holding out hope Paul pulls off a surprising comeback in the White House race. But they fully acknowledge that running a Senate race could cost well over $10 million, requiring an organization that takes time to build.

Paul's team is organizing campaign chairmen in all 120 counties, while reaching out to local GOP party leaders to ensure they'd be on board for the campaign. After holding 26 fundraisers in 2015, Paul's Senate campaign already has several on the books for 2016 as well, according to people involved in the effort. To reassure voters, Paul wrote two op-eds that ran in recent weeks in Louisville and Lexington newspapers, saying he is still "doing the job I was elected to do."

The campaign also is putting together a grassroots operation, including with students, similar to what powered him to an unlikely win in the 2010 Senate primary and later the general election. Two of his senior presidential campaign advisers, Chris LaCivita and Doug Stafford, will serve in similar capacities on the Senate run. The campaign headquarters will open soon in Louisville, with another office in Lexington.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/22/politi...ger/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not a chance.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

Gray already has said multiple times he is just not interested in the seat, they are begging him, but I think he just doesn't want to waste his time at a losing cause.

I hear that Democrats are also planning to put the moon on a stick, and I think they'll have better success at that endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    I hear that Democrats are also planning to put the moon on a stick, and I think they'll have better success at that endeavor.
    Then they will divide the cheese, to each according to his need.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    Rumor has it that gingrich is interested in pitching in!!

Good luck, buddy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now that I think about it, he might stand a chance as Rand will be the presidential nominee.
    Last edited by Patrick Henry; 01-23-2016 at 08:47 PM.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

Lol! If Conway lost partly because he supported gay marriage, then why does the KDP think a gay man can win the Senate seat?
    Stop believing stupid things

Sounds about as likely as Wendy Davis becoming Texas' governor.

Rand said he expects they will run someone, but Rand is effectively running unopposed for Senate.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul