Thread: Missouri lawmaker: Sex with lobbyists is a 'gift'

Missouri lawmaker: Sex with lobbyists is a 'gift'

(CNN)A Missouri lawmaker introduced a bill Wednesday that would require lobbyists to report "sexual relations" with state legislators as a "gift" in their disclosures to the state ethics commission.

"We've already got a lobbyist gift reporting requirement and so that's how I worked it in there, by treating it as a definition of gift," Rep. Bart Korman, a Republican from High Hill, told CNN on Thursday. "I hope it deters any of that activity, but that if activity does occur, it's at least transparent."

In 2015, two Show-Me State legislators left office after being accused of sexual misconduct. The House speaker, a Republican, resigned in May following a Kansas City Star report he sent illicit text messages to a teen intern. Over the summer, a Democratic state senator faced with allegations he sexually harassed two interns left office in what Gov. Jay Nixon called "a necessary step."

Asked why he didn't create a separate reporting requirement for sex between consenting adults — married couples and those in relationships before one was elected or began lobbying are exempted — Korman said he "didn't want to create a larger bureaucracy or a lot of additional extra laws."

"I just put it as the gift section because it's the closest thing I could come up with," he explained. Other options already on the books include "printing and publication expenses," "media and other advertising expenses" "travel, "the time, venue, and nature of any entertainment," "honoraria, "meals," and "food and beverages."

There is however, one important distinction between Korman's tweak and other noteworthy expenditures, like tickets to a ballgame.

In the new bill, "the reporting of sexual relations for purposes of this subdivision shall not require a dollar valuation."
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/07/politi...ill/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In 2015, two Show-Me State legislators left office after being accused of sexual misconduct.
    Lol.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

The White House is filled with drugs, pedophilia, sex, orgies, spying, blackmale... everything from the days of Ceasar is still par for the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    The White House is filled with drugs, pedophilia, sex, orgies, spying, blackmale... everything from the days of Ceasar is still par for the course.
    Freud·i·an slip

noun ... Freudian slip; plural noun: Freudian slips

an unintentional error regarded as revealing subconscious feelings.

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

In the new bill, "the reporting of sexual relations for purposes of this subdivision shall not require a dollar valuation."
    I dunno why not. It seems a couple of hookers could help them out with those numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I wonder what his significant other, or his mother, thinks of that.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 01-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    In 2015, two Show-Me State legislators left office after being accused of sexual misconduct. The House speaker, a Republican, resigned in May following a Kansas City Star report he sent illicit text messages to a teen intern. Over the summer, a Democratic state senator faced with allegations he sexually harassed two interns left office in what Gov. Jay Nixon called "a necessary step."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/07/politi...ill/index.html
    Problem: Harassment of interns.
    Solution: A new reporting requirement for lobbyists.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.