Thread: 2015 shatters record for warmest year globally by largest margin yet

2015 shatters record for warmest year globally by largest margin yet

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-nasa/54892807

Since 1880. El Nino helped.

Not to be upstaged by the previous year, 2015 was globally the warmest year since records began in 1880, according to NASA and NOAA. The average temperature across global land and ocean surfaces was 1.62 F (0.90 C) above the 20th century average, NOAA said. Surpassing 2014's record by 0.29 F (0.16 C), this is the largest margin by which the annual global temperature record has been broken. Fifteen of the 16 warmest years on record have occurred since 2001.

In the contiguous United States, 2015 was the second warmest year on record and the third wettest.

"The warmth was spread throughout the globe with some important exceptions like in the North Atlantic," Thomas Karl, director for NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information, said.

Global temperatures tied or broke existing monthly records for all but two months of the year.

"In previous times when we've set records, the gap has been significantly smaller than what we saw this year," Karl said, calling the margin "remarkable."

An El Niņo pattern, which is marked by above-normal water temperatures in the central and eastern Pacific Ocean, will contribute to a warming of the global mean temperature, Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, said. El Niņo influences weather patterns around the globe.

Schmidt said that though El Niņo assisted the rise in global temperatures, 2015 still would have broken the record without the warm-water phenomenon.
    However, there is no evidence that the long-term warming trend has slowed, he said.

"A strong El Niņo was a significant factor, as well as overall very warm ocean water temperatures," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Brett Anderson said. "However, natural factors alone can't explain this level of warming."

Anderson added that though the strong El Niņo will weaken in the spring, effects will spread into much of 2016.
    "There's a chance 2016 could be even warmer," he said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't try to peddle your religion on me.

2015 too warm? No problem.

That's nuthin' that a WW3 induced nuclear winter can't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Don't try to peddle your religion on me.
    A weather atheist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Since 1880. El Nino helped.
    Well thank God all those steampunk fellows in 1880 stopped using SUVs, double-ply toilet paper, Keurigs, toilets that don't need to be scrubbed after flushing, and all the other environmentalist-disapproved stuff that causes AGW.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I have to say, I did enjoy it.

And that last line about 2016 maybe being warmer is encouraging. I hope it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    A weather atheist?
    I rebuke the false religion of global warming.