Thread: Any non-GMO long-term food supplies?

Any non-GMO long-term food supplies?

I'm looking for non-GMO and/or organic long-term food supply with long (15+ yrs) a shelf life. Do you know of any?
    Sanity Check Radio Show
    http://www.SanityCheckRadioShow.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Check with the freeze dried food people. That stuff is supposed to be good for 20 some years.

Preservatives FTW!

Buy non GMO seeds. Grow vegetables. Harvest. Can them. People have gotten way more than 15 years out of such things.

There are many beans and grains you can keep that long. I use 5 gallon cornelius "soda" kegs. I like to keep no less than a keg each of lentils, kidney beans, popcorn, sugar, and rice on hand. I store the kegs in my basement where it stays around 55 all year. You'd be amazed how "buffered" just those 5 kegs can make you feel.

Check here for shelf life:
    http://offgridsurvival.com/survivalfood/
    Last edited by presence; 01-20-2016 at 11:57 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by groverblue View Post
    I'm looking for non-GMO and/or organic long-term food supply with long (15+ yrs) a shelf life. Do you know of any?
    raw honey never goes bad.. honey that theyve found in egyptian tombs thousands of years old is still good to eat. its a complete food high in calories.. it will keep you alive and it tastes great

vinegar never goes bad either... there are a couple others but i dont recall them right now
    Last edited by Chester Copperpot; 01-21-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Preservatives FTW!
    yes this is a time that i would agree with you... food with preservatives is better than starving.

Most grains last a long time until you grind them.

Wheat, for example can last 30+ years, if kept dry. Once wheat is ground, it is only good for about 24 hours.
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Most grains last a long time until you grind them.

Wheat, for example can last 30+ years, if kept dry. Once wheat is ground, it is only good for about 24 hours.
    thats good to know.. i keep barley and einkhorn grain in my fridge and grind it up before im going to use it.. had no idea they lasted that long... guess theyre seeds so it makes sense.

Definitely keep that grain sealed up though. Even then it can be tough. Tiny little bugs like to infest the stuff. Weevils and others. I've seen them in store bought food and in huge grain bins. Farmers usually "dope" their bins with poison (not optimal for foodstuffs).

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Definitely keep that grain sealed up though. Even then it can be tough. Tiny little bugs like to infest the stuff. Weevils and others. I've seen them in store bought food and in huge grain bins. Farmers usually "dope" their bins with poison (not optimal for foodstuffs).
    As long as you can keep the oxygen away from it, those bugs don't be able to live. Oxygen absorbents are good for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    As long as you can keep the oxygen away from it, those bugs don't be able to live. Oxygen absorbents are good for that.
    Correct. Dry ice works well too.

Here is a website with storage info:

http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/wheat
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Preservatives FTW!
    That reminds me of an old scifi story I read many moons ago, about a future where they found that the preservatives that had been ingested ended up preserving the people. I don't remember the details, but I believe they extended their life spans by a hundred years or more.
    Not trying to promote preservatives here, but thought the angle was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    So I grew up on a dairy farm and knew all kinds of farm kids. I've never heard of poisoning a grain bin. Not saying its never happened but to stop weevils you empty out and sell grain prior to the next harvest and you keep air moving in the grain. The only place I've ever found weevils is in the beanbags made for corn hole. I've never seen bugs get into any grain other than corn.

Monsanto Buys Up Heirloom Seed Suppliers...

The NM Tree and Garden Center located in Rio Rancho, New Mexico has discovered that Monsanto is buying heirloom seed companies. They are also buying the trademarks to a number of heirloom seeds. This means that you may think you are supporting an heirloom seed company but in reality the company is owned by Monsanto. The seeds themselves are still non-GMO and heirloom and they can be saved at the end of the harvest and resown next season, but you are still giving money to Monsanto.

Monsanto are also buying trademarks so that no matter where you buy certain seeds, they get money from it. Here is a LINK to the trademarks and seed companies Monsanto supply and ones that they do not supply in the USA.

Why are small organic/heirloom marques being acquired by the big global corporates? Firstly, there is a commercial market for them. Secondly, what you own you can control. Thirdly, if you are a vast industrial magnate and own one of these companies you can marginalise its market if you wish.
    Continued - http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articl...seed-suppliers

I think they're just doing it in order to get into the non-gmo market. Investors are running from gmo. Farmers, too. It's really the only way to protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    So I grew up on a dairy farm and knew all kinds of farm kids. I've never heard of poisoning a grain bin. Not saying its never happened but to stop weevils you empty out and sell grain prior to the next harvest and you keep air moving in the grain. The only place I've ever found weevils is in the beanbags made for corn hole. I've never seen bugs get into any grain other than corn.
    things have changed since then. at the "factory farm" level, feed is routinely fumigated.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef145.asp

CAUTION! Pesticide recommendations in this publication are registered for use in Kentucky, USA ONLY!
    Last edited by presence; 01-29-2016 at 10:06 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Patriot Pantry™ Emergency Survival Food | Free Shipping!

My Patriot Supply is proud to be the official home of Patriot Pantry long term storage food. We supply the nation's leading (and hands down the best tasting) emergency food supplies. These non GMO meals have a 25 year shelf life, are easy to prepare, have no added MSG, and are incredibly healthy, tasty, and nutritious. Every family concerned with self-reliance and emergency preparedness should stock Patriot Pantry survival food. Browse our entire long-term storage food options. Choose from 2-weeks, 4-weeks, 3-month, 6-month, and 1-year emergency food supplies. All of our packages include free shipping, so you know you are getting the best value. We also feature 72 hour grab and go option for sampling or a great addition to any "Go-Bag"!

My Patriot Supply is the official home of Patriot Pantry™!
    Have any questions regarding Patriot Pantry emergency food supplies? Give the experts a call at 1-866-229-0927.
    http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Emerg...Food_s/104.htm
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    We haven't stored seed in a long time but we used to spray some stuff on it as we were unloading it into the bins and there were times when my dad would crawl into the top of the bin and put some pellets into it. This was for seed for the next year.

I've definitely seen weevils and other bugs in weat/oats seed. Last year some wheat we got from a farmer had some.