Thread: Rand Paul talks to DesMoines Register Editorial Board: Why they should endorse him

Rand Paul talks to DesMoines Register Editorial Board: Why they should endorse him

UPDATED: Full Video below:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/vid...4710553410001/

This link to print article:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...date/78978612/

Sen. Rand Paul presented himself Monday as not beholden to the Republican Party when it comes to addressing the problems the United States faces.

The Kentucky senator said he is less “reactionary” than his fellow GOP presidential contenders when it comes to working across the aisle or giving credit to Democratic ideas if he agrees with them. Paul met Monday with The Des Moines Register editorial board, which is deciding which candidate to endorse prior to the Feb. 1 Iowa caucuses.

“I think I’m probably the one candidate who looks beyond party more than any other candidates,” Paul said. “I’m pretty ecumenical in laying blame where blame deserves to be laid.”

Paul said he believes the No. 1 threat to the country’s national security is its debt — and both parties are responsible. He singled out Marco Rubio and Hillary Clinton, saying both want to increase military spending, and lawmakers from both sides of the aisle who voted to increase the debt ceiling.
    But he’s also willing to give credit where credit is due, even to a Democratic president, he said.
    Paul gave kudos to President Barack Obama for commuting the sentences of 46 nonviolent drug offenders in November, particularly that of Katina Smith. Smith, whose son Demaryius Thomas is a receiver for the Denver Broncos, spent 15 years in prison for drug trafficking.
    Paul has called for criminal justice reform, including eliminating all mandatory minimum sentences and allowing for criminal records of nonviolent offenders to be expunged. He said he plans to work with Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, to add amendments that address these issues on the Iowa lawmaker's criminal justice reform legislation. He’s also worked with Sen. Cory Booker, D-New Jersey, on the REDEEM Act to expunge criminal records for both children and adults and with Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, on legislation to end bulk data collection by the NSA.

More at the link.
    Last edited by squirl22; 01-19-2016 at 08:24 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    comments section
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Didn't they endorse Romney last time?

I predict they go with Bush or Rubio.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

$#@!ing destroyed that EPA talking point they brought up on wetlands and then the room goes dead quiet (I'm not getting the endorsement huh guys?) . He got as passionate as I have seen, about this guy who was put in jail for 10 years who probably doesn't even know who he is.