Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul says he will now prioritize stopping Trump?

Exclamation Paul says he will now prioritize stopping Trump?

Rand Paul says he’s going to spend “every waking hour” trying to stop Donald Trump from getting the Republican nomination, saying Trump as the nominee would guarantee a Republican loss in the general election.

“Think if we, the Republican Party, becomes the party of angry people, that insinuate that most immigrants are drug dealers or rapists, that’s a terrible direction for our party,” the Kentucky senator and presidential candidate told the Alan Colmes Showon Thursday. “We are never going to grow as a party, we are never going to increase our vote among the Hispanic population, the black population, among women, all of those things we need to expand our party, Donald Trump takes us in the wrong direction.
    “He would be a disaster,” he added. “We’ll be, we’ll be slaughtered, in a landslide. That’s why my every waking hour is to try to stop Donald Trump from being our nominee.”
    Still, Paul said he would support Trump should he win the nomination.
    “I’m a Republican, and I think if you don’t support the nominee, it harms even those like myself, because for example, I was not the establishment pick when I ran for the U.S. Senate, but I agreed that I would support them if they won,” he said. “But they also agreed to support me. So it works both ways. It sounds terrible, ‘who are you going to support? Donald Trump.’ But I expect Donald Trump to support me as well, if I win.”
    Asked if he has more in common with Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson than Donald Trump, the Kentucky senator said yes and no.
    “In some ways yes and in some ways no,” he said. “I don’t really know his platform, but I do know that the Republican Party has allowed a libertarian-leaning person like myself to actually become a U.S. Senator, and that I’ve worked very hard to make the party more libertarian and more constitutionally conservative. And I think it’s been for a good thing.”
    Paul said the pundits who question if he is “libertarian enough” are speaking nonsense.
    “You know, I think I always just tried to be who I am,” said Paul. “Everybody, every pundit out there tries to say ‘oh you’re not libertarian enough,” but if the problem were if I’m not libertarian enough, and that’s why the poll numbers are not higher, that would be an argument that oh, ‘libertarians are voting for Donald Trump,’ so it doesn’t really make any sense. But I have to be who I am. I’m a limited government constitutional conservative. I have some libertarian feelings ,and it’s harder if there’s a purity test for everything to determine what is purely right or wrong.”

hxxp://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/rand-paul-to-spend-his-every-waking-hour-trying-to-stop-trum?bftwnews&utm_term=.gepgxqO0We#.jm0NdLOjyP

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can somebody answer what's going on with Rand here?? What will his next moves be??

His next move will be to take Iowa.

I don't see anywhere in that where he used the words that he's prioritizing taking Trump down over anything else, especially winning.

Every interview he's had he says he's "in it to win it". Seems pretty clear.

Essentially Rand is going to try triangulating his campaign with both the mainline GOP and the so-called anti-establishment, which is what he was trying to do before Trump got involved and turned the whole thing into a circus. The difference now is that since Rand was given an opportunity to tell Fox Business and the RNC to shove it for their treatment of him and has earned himself some street cred with people who want so-called "outsiders", he now has to take out the competition in that department, namely the Clinton plant from the big apple.

People can bitch all they want about attacking Trump being a bad move, if Rand is going to get the nomination then Trump has to go down, end of story. If Rand can upset Trump and Cruz in Iowa and win, he'll be in a prime position to make things tough for Trump in New Hampshire and beyond, thus deflating Trump's "inevitability" claim, which is the sole reason why he is polling so high. Trump has no real support outside of his media phenomenon and celebrity, and once he loses a few contests, these poll numbers will start to evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by derek4ever View Post
    Can somebody answer what's going on with Rand here?? What will his next moves be??
    Not much to explain, in 2012, everyone was trying to be the Anti-Romney. Now Trump is the Romney and we need an Anti-Trump.

Seems pretty simple judging from Rand's recent extra aggression on Trump and also added new talking points too.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

“We’ll be, we’ll be slaughtered, in a landslide. That’s why my every waking hour is to try to stop Donald Trump from being our nominee.”
    Still, Paul said he would support Trump should he win the nomination.
    He'd prefer Cruz or Rubio? How's that going to be better?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Pretty sure he'd prefer himself... Also not sure why you think Trump is any better than Rubio or Cruz.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Neither Cruz nor Rubio support an assault weapons ban or imminent domain for private business. Donald Trump does.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Neither Cruz nor Rubio support an assault weapons ban or imminent domain for private business. Donald Trump does.
    But Trump doesn't (publicly) subscribe to a no fly zone in Syria and poses as a non internationalist. As GW did.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    But Trump doesn't (publicly) subscribe to a no fly zone in Syria and poses as a non internationalist. As GW did.
    Okay. That's a plus over Rubio. But Ted Cruz doesn't support a Syria no fly zone either.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...civil_war.html

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I don't think he said that either.

He was asked a question about Trump, and answered it. He wasn't ranking the other candidates in order of preference.

It's a buzzfeed article trying to make something out of nothing.

Okay. That's a plus over Rubio. But Ted Cruz doesn't support a Syria no fly zone either.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...civil_war.html
    Yep, he thinks we should have been dominating the situation so Putin wouldn't have been tempted to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by derek4ever View Post
    He's managing expectations. Rand is a smart and realistic person. I'm sure he knows he is not going to win. He's letting the hardcore followers down easy by shifting to destroy Trump and educational campaign #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Yep, he thinks we should have been dominating the situation so Putin wouldn't have been tempted to come in.
    That's not the same as saying he supports a no fly zone in Syria and you know it. He said he thinks Syria would be better off keeping Assad in power just like Iraq and Libya would be better off keeping Saddam and Qaddafi in power. That's the opposite of supporting a no fly zone. Assad has jets that could have made short work of ISIS but for the U.S. meddling in that war.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    He's managing expectations. Rand is a smart and realistic person. I'm sure he knows he is not going to win. He's letting the hardcore followers down easy by shifting to destroy Trump and educational campaign #3.
    Wrong. Not a single vote has been cast. It's anybody's election. But in order to have a chance the front runner, Trump, cannot be seen as the inevitable victor. We need Trump to lose Iowa. A Ted Cruz victory is better for us than a Trump victory. A Ben Carson victory would have been better but that's clearly not going to happen now. Ultimately, of course, a Rand Paul victory would be the best. I expect Rand to at least come in 4th behind Cruz, Trump and Rubio. But he could beat out Rubio. That would be epic. If he came in second in Iowa that would be lights out for the establishment.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    Essentially Rand is going to try triangulating his campaign with both the mainline GOP and the so-called anti-establishment, which is what he was trying to do before Trump got involved and turned the whole thing into a circus. The difference now is that since Rand was given an opportunity to tell Fox Business and the RNC to shove it for their treatment of him and has earned himself some street cred with people who want so-called "outsiders", he now has to take out the competition in that department, namely the Clinton plant from the big apple.

People can bitch all they want about attacking Trump being a bad move, if Rand is going to get the nomination then Trump has to go down, end of story. If Rand can upset Trump and Cruz in Iowa and win, he'll be in a prime position to make things tough for Trump in New Hampshire and beyond, thus deflating Trump's "inevitability" claim, which is the sole reason why he is polling so high. Trump has no real support outside of his media phenomenon and celebrity, and once he loses a few contests, these poll numbers will start to evaporate.
    Yes, Rand now has some anti-establishment street cred, because he was forced to actually walk the walk of acting like one by confronting the MSM once he was excluded from the debate. But now he is walking straight back to an establishment stance, with his stop-Trump bashing. You can drone on all you want about attacking Trump being a good move, but if Rand is going to get that guy's VOTES then he has to go down the path of embracing the anti-establishment candidates, end of story. The anti-establishment vote is real, and independent of Trump, and will only transfer to another non-establishment candidate, but not to one who retreats back to an establishment posture.

Attacking is NOT triangulating. Cruz, the one contender who has been able to compete with Trump, did so based on triangulating him instead of openly attacking him (note that now that Cruz did take a shot at Trump, watch for the hit he is going to take in the polls). Bash the lead anti-establishment candidate, and you bash their supporters, which turns them off from thinking you are anti establishment. If Rand has not learned that by now, it doesn't bode well.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 01-16-2016 at 06:46 AM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Wrong. Not a single vote has been cast. It's anybody's election. But in order to have a chance the front runner, Trump, cannot be seen as the inevitable victor. We need Trump to lose Iowa. A Ted Cruz victory is better for us than a Trump victory. A Ben Carson victory would have been better but that's clearly not going to happen now. Ultimately, of course, a Rand Paul victory would be the best. I expect Rand to at least come in 4th behind Cruz, Trump and Rubio. But he could beat out Rubio. That would be epic. If he came in second in Iowa that would be lights out for the establishment.
    That just isn't going to happen. Cruz is second in IA with a 20 point lead over Rand. Polls can be wrong sure, but not that wrong.

That just isn't going to happen. Cruz is second in IA with a 20 point lead over Rand. Polls can be wrong sure, but not that wrong.
    The polls can be wrong but that doesn't matter if people believe the polls and want to vote for a winner, they become self fulfilling prophecies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    The polls can be wrong but that doesn't matter if people believe the polls and want to vote for a winner, they become self fulfilling prophecies.
    This is true.

I've seen quite a lot of comments online like : "Rand can't win so I am getting on the Trump/Cruz train."

Annoying.

Let's face it. Other than Rand, they all suck and we're screwed. Rand must win !!

Stand with Rand!

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    Attacking is NOT triangulating.
    what the heck is "triangulating" someone?

serious question lol
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 01-16-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Most of Ted Cruz supporters think he was born in the U.S. and and don't know that might not be eligible to be president. Some of that support will drop off as Trump goes after Cruz on this actual legitimate issue the same way he went after Ben Carson on pure BS.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    what the $#@! is "triangulating" someone?

serious question lol
    Coming at him from at least three different angles.

Edit:

Looked it up...
    http://politicaldictionary.com/words/triangulation/
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 01-16-2016 at 07:47 AM.

serious question lol
    In politics its when you find ways to agree with your opponent where you know they are strong then attack perceived weaknesses. For example when Rand Paul pointed out that Marco Rubio's massive proposed increase in military spending was not conservative Ted Cruz "triangulated" by claiming that he supported strong defense and fiscal responsibility by making cuts elsewhere. Actually he stole Rand's position and sadly Rand let him get away with it. It was Rand who proposed a budget that increased military spending but offset it by other budget cuts and Cruz and Rubio opposed Rand's plan.

serious question lol
    I'm assuming it kind of means aligning? Good question!

I can't wait for Rand Paul to destroy Trump!

Take him down Rand! You will have done the country a great service even if you don't win. The only thing I differ with you on is I WON"T support trump if he wins.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Paul needs not to endorse trump if he wins the nomination. Didn't he learn anything??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic