Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: the Republicans' Five Ring Circus

  1. #1

    the Republicans' Five Ring Circus

    Interesting Venn representation core Republican constituencies and where each of them fall.

    538 contends that whoever crosses over most of these 5 constituencies has better shot of being nominated...




  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    So Fiorina is the next closest to libertarian after Rand?

    Why is Trump outside of all circles?

    What's the definition of "establishment" in this context? If you were to ask me, I would consider all but Rand and Trump Carson and Fiorina to be establishment. But Fiorina is in the establishment circle.

    What about tea party? Didn't Ron Paul supporters coin "tea party" and start that movement? How is Cruz, Walker and Perry "tea party" but not Rand?

    The only two circles that make sense to me are Christian conservative and Moderate.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by laurak View Post
    Interesting Venn representation core Republican constituencies and where each of them fall.

    538 contends that whoever crosses over most of these 5 constituencies has better shot of being nominated...
    538 is beginning from a bad premise if it feels that way considering that Rick Perry has the most crossover appeal according to this chart and he was the first person to drop out. I do concur with the chart in the sense that Trump is clearly off the map, a reflection of the totally incongruous and downright crazy crap that he spews out every time he opens his mouth. I would also generally concur that Walker was probably closer to being a libertarian than Cruz, which is one of the reasons why I was originally looking at Walker as a potential second choice in the beginning should Rand not have broken through and why I would not be as hostile to Rand selecting Walker as a VP pick versus just about everybody else running.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    538 is beginning from a bad premise if it feels that way considering that Rick Perry has the most crossover appeal according to this chart and he was the first person to drop out. I do concur with the chart in the sense that Trump is clearly off the map, a reflection of the totally incongruous and downright crazy crap that he spews out every time he opens his mouth. I would also generally concur that Walker was probably closer to being a libertarian than Cruz, which is one of the reasons why I was originally looking at Walker as a potential second choice in the beginning should Rand not have broken through and why I would not be as hostile to Rand selecting Walker as a VP pick versus just about everybody else running.
    Donald Trump is off the map because he's a liberal.
    Rand Paul 2016 for Peace

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinsforPaul View Post
    Donald Trump is off the map because he's a liberal.
    Economically he's definitely a liberal/progressive, Stalinist would be more my description of the rest of his alleged platform.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewYorker View Post

    What about tea party? Didn't Ron Paul supporters coin "tea party" and start that movement? How is Cruz, Walker and Perry "tea party" but not Rand?
    The Tea Party here is the co-opted version, at least that's what I think.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by laurak View Post
    The Tea Party here is the co-opted version, at least that's what I think.
    This whole diagram begins on a faulty premise that Tea Party leans closer to Conservative Christian, whereas Libertarian leans closer to Moderate. The former is a bit more tenable if we assume the co-opted Ted Cruz version of the Tea Party (Perry still doesn't belong in there even if that's the case, though Walker would), but the latter has no connection with reality.

  9. #8
    Trump is a Communist!



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    I guess I agree that Libertarian shouldn't overlap with Christian Conservative, which implies imposing "Christian" values on the entire country, based on the candidates included. But I disagree that Libertarian overlaps with Moderate, and Rand should be at least as far outside Establishment as Cruz, not to mention Santorum and Huckabee. Sure, Rand has forged some practical alliances, and doesn't insult McConnell by name on the floor, but he votes for fewer Establishment bills than Cruz. There would certainly be more Establishment resistance to a Rand candidacy than a Cruz candidacy.

    Also, WTF is Rand doing outside Tea Party?!
    Last edited by statist slayer; 01-15-2016 at 06:03 PM.

  12. #10
    Tea Party shouldn't exist. It was started by Libertarians and co-opted by Christian Conservatives. Libertarians don't overlap with anyone. They are in space, alone, by themselves.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •