Thread: Your Thoughts - 401k to Money Market. (401k is currently stagnant deposit wise)

Your Thoughts - 401k to Money Market. (401k is currently stagnant deposit wise)

Hey All,

I moved jobs and my previous job was contributing to my 401k. Now, my new job does not contribute so I am NOT currently contributing this particular 401k. (the one in question). I've already lost a few thousand since the new year in it. And it is now just sitting there in Fidelity.
    I am really thinking things are gonna go south.

So, instead of withdrawing the monies and taking the tax hit - should I just move the monies into a money market?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Edit: Thinking of moving it here, which didn't show much loss at all during last recession
    Managed Income Portfolio II Class 1
    Bond/Managed Income Stable Value
    (04/20/1993 7 day yield as of 12/31/2015 1.39% )
    Last edited by Lord Xar; 01-15-2016 at 01:01 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the reasons for the last panic that resulted in TARP was that a money market fund "busted the buck". In other words, your money market account can start losing money. IIRC, they changed the law to make it more acceptable for a money market account to bust the buck. Insurance on a mm account does not cover NAV falling below a dollar.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    Hey All,

I moved jobs and my previous job was contributing to my 401k. Now, my new job does not contribute so I am NOT currently contributing this particular 401k. (the one in question). I've already lost a few thousand since the new year in it. And it is now just sitting there in Fidelity.
    I am really thinking things are gonna go south.

So, instead of withdrawing the monies and taking the tax hit - should I just move the monies into a money market?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Edit: Thinking of moving it here, which didn't show much loss at all during last recession
    Bond/Managed Income Stable Value
    (04/20/1993 7 day yield as of 12/31/2015 1.39% )
    Moving to a bond portfolio and/or cash positions are relatively safe in bear markets, however I'm convinced this isn't simply a cyclical stock downturn but rather a large scale reset underway and most everything paper/dollar denominated is being systematically crashed. Nothing is truly safe while this unfolds except hard assets.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

You certainly don't want to cash it out- you get hit with a ten percent penalty plus having to pay taxes on it. http://news.walmart.com/news-archive...lio-management

In addition to federal and state income tax, investors younger than 59½ who cash out have to pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty. The potential result: Cashing out $50,000 in 401(k) savings may leave just $35,000 in cash after 20% withholding and a 10% early withdrawal penalty.
    Another investment would have to gain about 50% just to get you back up to your original 401k balance.

so, in other words --- keep it where it is and take the huge loss when it comes?

somehow that doesn't seem appropriate :-)

(Image Credit: Zero Hedge)

But but everything is awesome and you should keep all your money in the stock market so you can retire!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Amazing! I just looked now cause I'm done -- this is gonna go down in flames.. and that investment is no longer offered:

Why would my 401k all of sudden not have this, when it did some days ago? weird!

Amazing! I just looked now cause I'm done -- this is gonna go down in flames.. and that investment is no longer offered:

Why would my 401k all of sudden not have this, when it did some days ago? weird!
    Holder, meet bag.

(I hope not for real but fund offerings change. Are there any other bond funds available instead?)

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Holder, meet bag.

(I hope not for real but fund offerings change. Are there any other bond funds available instead?)
    sorta - I was able to get into a stable value option.. guaranteed - but very very low interest yields. But, I'm doing nothing but losing thousads right now... last time I let it "ride" --- lost nearly 40%... not this time.

I cashed all of mine in but one , pretty soon I will be able to roll it and smoke it .

Market timing is very difficult to do successfully; good luck!

It's tougher to lose what's NOT on the table. (Unless, that is, the government decides to confiscate it.)

so, in other words --- keep it where it is and take the huge loss when it comes?

All the evidence shows that that is the best strategy. People who never log into their accounts beat people who try to time the market. If you sell now good luck figuring out when to get back in, most people cost themselves money trying.

Quote Originally Posted by John X View Post

All the evidence shows that that is the best strategy. People who never log into their accounts beat people who try to time the market. If you sell now good luck figuring out when to get back in, most people cost themselves money trying.
    That assumes the "get back in" point would be anywhere in the foreseeable future. Look for the hyper-inflationary QE money drop as the "get-back-in" point if playing with imaginary money in imaginary accounts is your thing.

How is the Real Estate market in LA?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

That assumes the "get back in" point would be anywhere in the foreseeable future. Look for the hyper-inflationary QE money drop as the "get-back-in" point if playing with imaginary money in imaginary accounts is your thing.
    People who try to time the market usually make the wrong choices. They get out when dips are near the bottom and they are the most scared. They they wait too long to get back in- after many of the gains have taken place- selling their stocks near the bottom and buying them back at a much higher price. Declines tend to be much less frequent and not as deep as the rebounds which follow so it is best to wait it out. Unless it is money you will be needing in the next few years and cannot afford to wait out the market.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    My real estate plan was buying my own home and having it paid for (which I have done). That lowered the amount of money I need to live on in retirement. I took money I was spending on paying rent anyways and used it to reduce my future expenses (as well as gaining a valuable asset I can then resell as needed and get more money). Lowering your expenses has the same net impact on your budget as getting a pay raise.

Like that "hyper inflation" we had after the last round of QE with lower than average CPI and one of the greatest commodity crashes in recent history?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    My real estate plan was buying my own home and having it paid for (which I have done). That lowered the amount of money I need to live on in retirement. I took money I was spending on paying rent anyways and used it to reduce my future expenses (as well as gaining a valuable asset I can then resell as needed and get more money). Lowering your expenses has the same net impact on your budget as getting a pay raise.
    Where I live, banks are carefully feeding in foreclosures; I'm in the process of purchasing a HUD house at half market price by cashing out my SEP IRA.
    There are opportunities everywhere, staying liquid seems to be the way to go.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

So far out of my price range, that it might as well be on the moon :-) .... unless its wayyyy inland.. but I think right now, everywhere is too high. Was thinking vegas, but from the people I've spoken too also agree things are too high, and not realistic. -- so I'll wait.

Where I live, banks are carefully feeding in foreclosures; I'm in the process of purchasing a HUD house at half market price by cashing out my SEP IRA.
    There are opportunities everywhere, staying liquid seems to be the way to go.
    Like this?
    http://www.hud.com/hud-homes/los-ang...=&o=&ob=&zip=&

Though, these areas (for near where I live) are very dangerous and I wouldn't chance living there, personally.

If you expect a repeat of 08, move into the lowest-risk bond/cash fund available in the program.

If you expect something worse than 08 but FDIC holds, cash out, take the hit, and put it into CDs (spreading it around to keep it below the FDIC maximum, if necessary).

If you expect something worse than 08, w/ FDIC failure, cash out, take the hit, hoard physical cash.

If you expect something worse than 08, w/ FDIC failure, and currency collapse, cash out, take the hit, hoard physical gold.

...If it were me, I'd take Option #1 RIGHT NOW, and keep my finger on the trigger for further action, if needed.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 01-25-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic