Thread: X-Files Redux in 2016!

X-Files Redux in 2016!

Totally awesome, the gang is coming back! And I am not certain as to the details exactly, though it seems the show is going to be inspired by Alex Jones "conspiracy theories", which I am not sure if he is actually going to be consulted for the show or not. I guess the Lone Gunmen will not be involved though (as they were all killed off in Jump the Shark--though perhaps they suffered only a comic-book-death), but would be super if that was so.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They said Lone Gunmen are not ruled out appearing in 1 or more episodes, due to TV magic.

The 1st episode was shown at comic-con over the summer, but video was never leaked, so I think it airs for everyone else next week. There are 6 episodes, #1 and #6 are the ones that some knowledge of the original series might be required, the 4 in between are standalones, like they used to do in the earlier seasons.

I though the premiere was rushed and the two main leads seemed a bit rusty, but I'm hopeful it will get better. I also wonder if maybe they should have gotten a more Alex Jones type guy to play the Alex Jones character.

Why do you think gen x is so distrustful of the government? Seriously, that show played a big part of my generation's cynicism
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Why do you think gen x is so distrustful of the government? Seriously, that show played a big part of my generation's cynicism
    Not enough cynicism to avoid falling for Bernie or Trump. Oh well, what else is new.

First 10 minutes and they already laughed at Truthers (9/11 inside job = jackass). On a show that was built on conspiracies.

It's an interesting mind exercise since it's only 6 episodes (very short run) and probably will reveal some truth but it follows the last several year Hollywood trend of using mainstream shows to try to rewrite recent history that the internet has exposed.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    First 10 minutes and they already laughed at Truthers (9/11 inside job = jackass). On a show that was built on conspiracies.

It's an interesting mind exercise since it's only 6 episodes (very short run) and probably will reveal some truth but it follows the last several year Hollywood trend of using mainstream shows to try to rewrite recent history that the internet has exposed.
    I've heard other critics say that same thing. Can't say I disagree.

I thought it was pretty good. Especially the denouement.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did you ever see the film?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Did anyone notice that in one of Scully's derogatory comments about conspiracy theorists that she added the word "isolationists"? It seemed totally out of place.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Did anyone notice that in one of Scully's derogatory comments about conspiracy theorists that she added the word "isolationists"? It seemed totally out of place.
    Totally noticed that. I also noticed that by the end of the show the guy they were all bagging on turns out to have been telling the truth.
    I also noticed that Gillian Anderson looked better curvy than skeletal.

Haven't watched it yet. Recorded and will watch tonight.

"So, which conspiracy theory is the new X-Files about?"

"Uhh...all of them."

It's like a grand unification conspiracy theory over all the conspiracy theories.

I enjoyed it; I'm actually impressed they made comments about NDAA, Patriot act, and even popped out some names I am hoping will inspire people to Google... like Henrietta Lacks.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

My favorite is still the scene where the cigarette man and his bosses were sitting around the table running the world, and one of them asked who should be the Super Bowl winner that year. One of them said, "I don't care as long as it's not the Bills". During those days, the Bills were in the Super Bowl 3 or 4 times and lost every time.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Did you ever see the film?
    What film?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

After the first episode, it seems like the new ones are all stand-alone.

What did everyone think about the lizard-man? Clever episode, but seems to be deviating almost into comedy.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

After the first episode, it seems like the new ones are all stand-alone.

What did everyone think about the lizard-man? Clever episode, but seems to be deviating almost into comedy.
    The latest episode was the best by far of the new series. Written by an x-philes golden boy. Ratings are off the charts... 18-24 million per episode (including the the +3 DVR/HULU/ETC)...

THey will be doing another season, bet on that.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

From what I've seen in this topic, I need to go ahead and watch this. Wanted to go finish Ash vs Evil Dead first, but that may have to wait.

Reminds me of when I was watching arrow a week ago and they introduced the character "Shrapnel" who was a domestic terrorist who was saying that politicians are bought and ran an anti-government website. I felt like they had an agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

I didn't like the first two episodes.

I was iffy for the beginning of the third one. I wasn't sure if they were going for genuine comedy, or were just failing that badly at making the impossible seem remotely plausible. But as the show went on, I found it more and more hilarious and thoughtful.

I wasn't a real fan of the old X-Files. I thought it was OK, but just never got into it. I watched a handful of episodes and saw the movie. I don't remember seeing any like this one though.