Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Official Thread - Senate Vote on Audit the Fed 1/12/16

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    The Democrats filibustered the bill requiring Republicans to invoke cloture if they want to proceed.
    They should have let them filibuster. This would look extremely stupid on their part filibustering this. Who decided to invoke the cloture? I hope it was not Paul.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    ...or something.
    I am curious about this.

Has mccain or Graham said anything ever about this bill?

No matter what, rand has shown his never say die lately and i'm extremely thankful for trying to shed a light on the fed. You come from good stock and just as you fought for us, we'll do the same in the precincts!

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    They should have let them filibuster. This would look extremely stupid on their part filibustering this. Who decided to invoke the cloture? I hope it was not Paul.
    Letting them filibuster just means the bill never goes to the floor for a vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewYorker View Post
    Has mccain or Graham said anything ever about this bill?
    Here's McCain's statement after the vote:

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement today on voting to advance the “Audit the Fed” bill that would subject the Federal Reserve to a comprehensive audit and enhanced congressional oversight:

“Today I voted in support of a bill to audit the Federal Reserve so that the American people have greater transparency and accountability into how the Fed creates monetary policy. This bill would mandate much-needed congressional oversight of the Federal Reserve by removing legal barriers that have prevented the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office from fully auditing the Fed. It would also help prevent these central bankers, whose deliberations are kept completely secret from the public, from creating economic booms and busts. Unfortunately, Democrats in Congress have acted to maintain the status quo and keep the Fed’s policy decisions about the trillions of American tax dollars it controls secret by preventing this bill from moving forward. I will continue working with my colleagues to move this commonsense proposal forward and protect the American people who are directly impacted by the Fed’s policies and decisions.”
    http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/...9-c9bfa148494d

This procedure is confusing me now, they need to update school house rock

Which is fine. The point is to show the clowns doing filibustering for this on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxboy10 View Post
    Bob Corker R-TN voted NO. He is up for reelection in 2018. He needs to GO. We need to find someone to challenge him in the primary. This should be the end of his Senate career.

Everyone here should call Bob Corker and tell him how disgusted you are with his NO vote. Phone 202-224-3344
    This asshat, Bailout Bob, is one of the wealthiest in the Senate. And he is as corrupt as the day is long. But there is a rumor he might be running for Governor of TN in the next couple of years. We'll see...
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It failed 53-44 but was a lot closer than it seems.

2 Rs didn't vote (Coats and Cruz). With their votes, it would have been 55 yes.

FOUR Democrats who supported it earlier flip flopped and voted no today. Donnelly, Heinrich and Murphy all voted for H.R. 459 (which is the SAME bill) in 2012 but voted no today. Hirono was an ORIGINAL cosponsor of S. 264 (which is the SAME bill) in 2015 but voted no today.

If these four Ds didn't flip flop, it would have been 59 yes. We only needed one vulnerable D to switch or Bob Corker (the only R no vote) to vote yes for it to pass.
    Exactly....

If we can get a President that won't veto it, and we can run this again with some very focused and intense pressure on 6 or 7 Senators, then it will become law.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Is it true that only Senators who didn't vote can bring it back to the floor? This is what the Cruzers are starting to say.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Is it true that only Senators who didn't vote can bring it back to the floor? This is what the Cruzers are starting to say.
    That is the Leader's priveledge I believe. McConnell did that earlier.

Not really, it just means you have to wait 12 or so hours before a vote.

Never heard of such a thing. I do know that only those who voted on the prevailing side can bring a bill back up for reconsideration.

http://www.rules.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=RuleXIII

RULES OF THE SENATE

RECONSIDERATION

PDF of Rule XIII

1. When a question has been decided by the Senate, any Senator voting with the prevailing side or who has not voted may, on the same day or on either of the next two days of actual session thereafter, move a reconsideration; and if the Senate shall refuse to reconsider such a motion entered, or if such a motion is withdrawn by leave of the Senate, or if upon reconsideration the Senate shall affirm its first decision, no further motion to reconsider shall be in order unless by unanimous consent. Every motion to reconsider shall be decided by a majority vote, and may be laid on the table without affecting the question in reference to which the same is made, which shall be a final disposition of the motion.

2. When a bill, resolution, report, amendment, order, or message, upon which a vote has been taken, shall have gone out of the possession of the Senate and been communicated to the House of Representatives, the motion to reconsider shall be accompanied by a motion to request the House to return the same; which last motion shall be acted upon immediately, and without debate, and if determined in the negative shall be a final disposition of the motion to reconsider.
    Cruz has 2 Session days to move a motion to reconsider until we can tell those people they are spinning bull$#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    http://www.rules.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=RuleXIII

Cruz has 2 Session days to move a motion to reconsider until we can tell those people they are spinning bull$#@!.
    Will this be Thursday...and valid question in the debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_PA View Post
    Will this be Thursday...and valid question in the debate?
    It will not be Thursday. The Senate has only been running 1 or 2 Session days a week lately.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do not in fact know when it will be. I looked all over Congress.gov site for a schedule of session days and it is not to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I do not in fact know when it will be. I looked all over Congress.gov site for a schedule of session days and it is not to be had.
    Thanks +rep for looking.

Does this look like an accurate schedule?
    "Tentative"

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/re...6_calendar.pdf
    RVO˩UTION

Quote Originally Posted by notsure View Post
    "Tentative"

I don't know, because the Senate calendar only shows 3 sessions for January.
    RVO˩UTION

"Tentative"

it's possible. That is of course tentative. If it does turn out to be accurate, then Thursday will indeed be that deadline. I looked everywhere for that, but I was also getting lots of 404's.

I don't know, because the Senate calendar only shows 3 sessions for January.
    The one I did find only listed PREVIOUS Session days, and showed 3 for January, including last week Monday, which is not on the tentative schedule.

I suppose I should have looked at senate.gov rather than congress.gov lol

+rep

We now know that if Cruz doesn't move to reconsider by end of Session Thursday, this is complete bull$#@!.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345