Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgently need some real help

Urgently need some real help

I am sorry to post this here, but I'm in a bit of a spot.

Do you know any good folks who may be looking to give a dog or cat a home? My neighbors abandoned their house and left 5 dogs and about 8 cats to die. One cat I already buried. I saved one from imminent starvation and it looks like a friend will be taking her. Vet thought she was 6 weeks old until she did the dental exam. She is about 8 MONTHS old and weighed 12 OUNCES. I have been feeding her for about a week or so and she has gained vast weight. Maybe up to 3 pounds now, so that is no longer a concern.

The dogs are the problem. They had a shihtzu that has now lost an eye. His name is Pugsley and we will be giving him a home. There is a basset mix, all white, VERY sweet, house-trained, and 12 years old. Traumatized, of course, as are the rest in the wake of having been abandoned.

There are two chihuahuas, a male named Fazi, the other I don't know, a female - can likely find out her name. Also very sweet dogs, but very hurt by all this. After a week of feeding everyone, the girl finally comes to me. Fazi still doesn't but will lick the end of my fingers now, whereas 3 days ago would not come within 15-20 feet - very wary. They should be a pair, but not required. I suspect they are house-broken, but am not 100% sure because I have not been able to get hold of them to put them in the house for a day or so to find out. I do. however, suspect they probably are.

The last is a young mix, looks part coon-hound. Also very good disposition, house broken as well, about 1 1/2 years old. He is playful, but very frightened at the moment. I had him and the basset mix in the house for three days when it was in single-digits at night and it did wonders for them.

There are about 6-8 cats. We took one for our friend, I buried one that had died in a cage, of all things with a rabbit. Three are going to a neighbor, at least for now, and the rest need to escape the needle.

County humane is coming Monday to investigate. I am going to try my best to get some of these guys placed before they show up. I feel badly for them and would give all a home here, but we cannot afford to feed that many and the house is just too small for such a number of dogs.

If you know anyone or if they would know anyone, please forward my number 304-965-3855. I would be willing to drive 250 miles to deliver to good people or find another means of getting them where they need to go. These dogs show some stress, but three of them have spent three nights in our house and have calmed a lot. Two of those, the basset and coon-mix took off and are back "home". It is all they know. I have yet to apprehend Fazi, though feel I am close to accomplisihing that goal.

Neighbor's wife is the one who abandoned them like that and the human officer said she will have some serious 'splaining to do.

I apologize for coming to you with this, but I'm in a corner and need to ask for some help. These are all good souls and need to be taken proper care of. If you know anyone at all, please let them know. Distribute my number freely.

Thanks, and a very happy new year to you all.

-Andy
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where are you located? Are there any rescues in the area that may be able to help?

Wish I was closer osan, I just had to put our cat down. It's really weird not having a pet in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Where are you located? Are there any rescues in the area that may be able to help?
    Charleston WV. Been trying the rescues but no joy thus far. A woman in NJ who does chihuahua rescue says she has a place for them, so I guess I will be flying to NJ before much longer. That's the good news. We're keeping Pugsley, leaving the coon-mix and basset-mix yet to be placed. Coon is young. Mama is old... not sure how that is going to work out. I'd keep her, but we really cannot afford it at this time. This is the first time in my life I have had to place strays. I've always kept them, but those were different days.

This may yet end well.

Captured the malformed cat and my neighbor, Shorty, took him in - bless her kind heart. There are two more she will take in the morning. My friend and his wife will be taking the 12 ounce baby. That leaves maybe 4-5. Things are working out better than I'd expected, to be honest. I'm not good with things like this... I cannot bear injury in animals and children. I have no nerve for it, which is why I gave up on becoming a vet or a doctor. I'd spend 90% of my time in a fetal ball, crying. 1/2

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Wish I was closer osan, I just had to put our cat down. It's really weird not having a pet in the house.
    Where in WA? I used to live in Vancouver and Seattle.

I MIGHT be able to deliver. Wifey is a flight attendant, so I can fly for free on standby. I just spoke with her and she said I should be able to get the dogs on board. If that be the case, I can do the same thing with a cat. Bit of a commute, but I am willing to do it.

Let me know. If you want I can take photos and you can decide based on that.

And sorry for your loss. I know how weird it is to have someone you love no longer there, knowing they will never be there again. Death is a curious thing.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Where in WA? I used to live in Vancouver and Seattle.

I MIGHT be able to deliver. Wifey is a flight attendant, so I can fly for free on standby. I just spoke with her and she said I should be able to get the dogs on board. If that be the case, I can do the same thing with a cat. Bit of a commute, but I am willing to do it.

Let me know. If you want I can take photos and you can decide based on that.

And sorry for your loss. I know how weird it is to have someone you love no longer there, knowing they will never be there again. Death is a curious thing.
    I'm about twenty miles east of Everett if that helps any. But a trip to Sea-Tac is no big deal. Yes, pics I could share with the boss would help.
    Ps. Your PM box is full..
    Last edited by Origanalist; 01-08-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Yes, your PM box is full.
    I am in the Midwest, less than an hour from a large city. Our wonderful cat is 18 3/4 years old and terminally ill. I will seriously consider helping take care of one cat if you can still make a delivery, thanks.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

I would take the old basset mix in a New York second if I was not afraid that my old dog might be pissy with him. He is getting to be a cranky old thing. Sigh.

Let me talk to my husband.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Charleston WV. Been trying the rescues but no joy thus far. A woman in NJ who does chihuahua rescue says she has a place for them, so I guess I will be flying to NJ before much longer. That's the good news. We're keeping Pugsley, leaving the coon-mix and basset-mix yet to be placed. Coon is young. Mama is old... not sure how that is going to work out. I'd keep her, but we really cannot afford it at this time. This is the first time in my life I have had to place strays. I've always kept them, but those were different days.

This may yet end well.

Captured the malformed cat and my neighbor, Shorty, took him in - bless her kind heart. There are two more she will take in the morning. My friend and his wife will be taking the 12 ounce baby. That leaves maybe 4-5. Things are working out better than I'd expected, to be honest. I'm not good with things like this... I cannot bear injury in animals and children. I have no nerve for it, which is why I gave up on becoming a vet or a doctor. I'd spend 90% of my time in a fetal ball, crying. 1/2
    Hey there, Here are few rescues you may want to try.
    If they are unable to take anyone in, you could ask them if they would do a courtesy posting for you on petfinders, maybe:

http://awos.petfinder.com/shelters/WV177.html

http://awos.petfinder.com/shelters/WV80.html

http://awos.petfinder.com/shelters/WV174.html

Good luck! Thanks for having a big heart and caring about them.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    If they are unable to take anyone in, you could ask them if they would do a courtesy posting for you on petfinders, maybe:.
    That is an excellent idea. Osan if you can agree to keep them for a little while, the foster people can usually help you place them. Be sure to tell them that you have some friends who can help with the vetting, too.

I mean I am not the only one who would pitch in, right?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    That is an excellent idea. Osan if you can agree to keep them for a little while, the foster people can usually help you place them. Be sure to tell them that you have some friends who can help with the vetting, too.

I mean I am not the only one who would pitch in, right?
    How would you do the vetting? I'm not sure what you mean.

Wish I could but I'm afraid I'm already at full catpacity.

I'd help if I could. 5 cats is my max, and more than I wanted.

There is a special place in hell reserved for that woman.

shared

h/t to Angela; I otherwise wouldn't have seen this.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

I'm about twenty miles east of Everett if that helps any. But a trip to Sea-Tac is no big deal. Yes, pics I could share with the boss would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Vidual View Post
    Yes, your PM box is full.
    I am in the Midwest, less than an hour from a large city. Our wonderful cat is 18 3/4 years old and terminally ill. I will seriously consider helping take care of one cat if you can still make a delivery, thanks.
    Cleared some space. Sorry about that.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I used to go to the sweat lodge in Monroe, a bit east of Everett, as I recall.

I have photos but for some reason the phone is not showing up in the Finder... stoopid Macs...

Will try to get something going here in the coming few days. May have to borrow a camera or something.

I used to go to the sweat lodge in Monroe, a bit north of Everett, as I recall.

I have photos but for some reason the phone is not showing up in the Finder... stoopid Macs...

Will try to get something going here in the coming few days. May have to borrow a camera or something.
    That's right where I'm at.

I used to go to the sweat lodge in Monroe, a bit east of Everett, as I recall.

You don't have Photos App?

ETA - on a Mac, pics from a phone or a camera usually do not show up like a hard drive. Newer OS downloads via Photos app, older OS downloads via iPhoto
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 01-08-2016 at 10:04 PM.

How helpful would some money be? I don't have much, but I could come up with a little it to send.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Photos usually opens automatically when you plug a phone in, so I'm going to guess you have an older OS with iPhoto? You'll have either one or the other app, with your phone connected, open one of those two apps and your device should be in the sidebar. Select it, import what photos you want. Choose whether to leave the originals on the phone or delete them, and then export the pictures you want to a directory. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

place craigslist ad with photo and these words:

I'm taking this cat to a kill shelter tomorrow
    instant cat lady appears every time*

*beware: foul smell of stale cat urine may linger, best to meet in a parking lot
    Last edited by presence; 01-08-2016 at 10:28 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

How would you do the vetting? I'm not sure what you mean.
    Well rescues only adopt out pets that have been vetted: shots, spayed neutered, etc. The two things they are always short on are money and foster homes. So my thought is that if Osan can keep them for a bit, a rescue might be able to help place them.

Well rescues only adopt out pets that have been vetted: shots, spayed neutered, etc. The two things they are always short on are money and foster homes. So my thought is that if Osan can keep them for a bit, a rescue might be able to help place them.
    Definitely. And the rescues will have more willingness to help when they understand the situation and that osan has already found homes for some of them. (As opposed to all of the calls a rescue org receives from people just wanting to give up their pets because of one reason or another.) If osan explains the situation, then this is where rescues are more able and willing to give a helping hand. osan, I'm with others on the board who've said they could contribute monetarily. Thanks for all that you are doing.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hat tip and rep to this whole thread!

Wish you were with a few hours drive of south Alabama, I'd get them, and put them on the land. Cats keep rats away, and my bulldog loves playmates. I've done things to people that I look back on and really regret, but I've never been able to stomach the thought of harming an animal for the hell of it. I've always said, the only thing in this world truly capable of unconditional love is a dog (cats hold grudges...lol).
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    How helpful would some money be? I don't have much, but I could come up with a little it to send.
    That is a very kind offer, but let me see if I can manage this without. If something changes, I will let you know.

Thanks very much.

That is a very kind offer, but let me see if I can manage this without. If something changes, I will let you know.

Thanks very much.
    LOL! I called husband to have him talk us out of basset mix and he reminded me how lonely our dog is since my older one passed. So if you can get the basset to the Flint airport, we are in.

LOL! I called husband to have him talk us out of basset mix and he reminded me how lonely our dog is since my older one passed. So if you can get the basset to the Flint airport, we are in.

Let me see what it will cost.

The chihuahuas are accounted for. Will have to go to NJ to deliver. Rescue person said she'd meet me half way, which would be Cumberland MD, but I am thinking it might be less stressful on everyone to just fly to Atlantic City. I have to think on that one.

Give me a few days to try to get my head out of my sphincter and figure this all out.

Thank you for the help. She is a VERY sweet dog and loves attention. I would keep them all but our three knuckleheads are showing some stress now and the house just is not big enough for 8 dogs.

Just sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast