Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updates on Shem Kellogg's cancer

Updates on Shem Kellogg's cancer

01/14/16: I had my first chemotherapy treatment yesterday.

Before starting the chemo today we had a consultation with the oncologist. He said that Dana Farber pathology is still finalizing their interpretation of the biopsies to determine where the cancer started. He mentioned the possibility of pancreatic cancer again.

Most of the chemo meds were dosed over 2.5 hours while I was sitting in a recliner. No pain. The doctors sent me home with a pump to administer the last of the meds over a period of 40-something hours. Apparently dosing this way is gentler on the patient and/or tougher on the tumor. My girlfriend has to unhook the pump when it beeps in 40 hours.

I ate more yesterday than I have in weeks, which is good since I lost weight from a 2-night hospitalization related to the stent replacement mentioned below. My girlfriend made tomato salad with quinoa shells. It was her first time cooking them and our first time eating them. They were a little too al dente. I'm eating with plastic silverware because many foods have a metallic taste. When I was preparing for seconds I accidentally let the soup boil for a while and the dish tasted a little bit like Sphegetti O's (that's a good thing).

I'm oddly hopefully about experiencing diarrhea with this blend of chemo after being constipated for a month from the opiates, the anti-nausea meds, and the of course a giant tumor in my colon. Carla treated us to a Squatty Potty in anticipation of the change.

The bellyband holster for the chemo pump was a pain in the ass and my girlfriend kindly replaced it with a purse. I'd like to say it's a shoulder rig of sorts but it's a legit purse.

Unfortunately pain intensified later into the night and I had to dose quite a bit of pain meds.

They gave me steroids right before the chemo and warned me that I might feel like the Incredible Hulk today. I took a walk today but don't feel like superhero yet.

01/07/16: I was trying to hold off on updating you guys until I at least knew my diagnosis. But since we're proceeding with treatment anyway I thought I should let you know what's going on. I have colon cancer stage three or four, depending on the results of a biopsy that was apparently lost in the mail.

Tomorrow I am having endoscopic surgery in Boston to have the plastic stent in my gallbladder replaced with a metal one. This stent will prevent a tumor from choking off my gallbladder bile duct.

Wednesday is my first chemotherapy treatment. I am preliminarily scheduled to have three treatments in Boston, once every other week. They are starting me on FOLFOX then then FOLFOX-Avistan. Sorry, I don't have dosages for the meds at this point.

During / immediately following these chemo appoinments we will have consultations with a Dana Farber nutritionist, surgeon, and a genetics counselor.

My short term disability claim appears to have been approved so I am not working and devoting my full attention to my health. I am generally avoiding sugars and grains (which has been no real challenge for a paleo eater) and trying to alkalize my body. I appear to have raised my pH to 7 over a couple days. I am following a couple of other folk medicine protocols, some have which were suggested in this group. Yoga on YouTube has been fun but I need to step up my meditation game. Acquiring a medical marijuana card seems like it will be a challenge. NH law requires your physician to be licensed in NH and I'm recieving chemo care from experts in Boston. My interpretation of that law is that I need to find a doc in NH who is willing to be primarily responsible for some other aspect of my treatment.

Talk to you on Wednesday.
    Last edited by skfornh; 01-14-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    Republican candidate for New Hampshire State House of Representatives

please donate at shemkellogg.com

bitcoin and precious metals gratefully accepted!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So sorry to hear this.... hopefully you have a short and painless recovery.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Godspeed to you Shem, I have a friend who lived through the exact same thing. Keep the chin up, don't let it down.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Sorry to hear that bud. Pulling for you.

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you lately and I hope you know there are a lot of people who care for you. If we can do anything please let us know, never hesitate to ask!
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Thanks for the update! Praying for ya, bro. ~hugs~ Remember, I expressly forbid you from dying until you are at least 75 years old. That's an order!
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 01-07-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by skfornh View Post
    Yoga on YouTube has been fun but I need to step up my meditation game.
    Sounds like you are doing everything to beat this down and get better. A positive attitude is key. You might try mindfulness meditation too. Definitely can help.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Damn Shem that's crazy man. Colon cancer doesn't hit too many people your age, only 1% of cases are people under the age of 34 according to wikipedia. Is there a history of cancer in the family?

Good luck with everything and the medical MJ so you don't have to break the freaking law to ease the chemo discomfort and hopefully shrink the tumors down too. Crazy that it's still illegal in majority of the country, there is nothing that pisses me off more about our government really. Hopefully you don't have to go through too much extra trouble to get certified.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Damn Shem that's crazy man. Colon cancer doesn't hit too many people your age, only 1% of cases are people under the age of 34 according to wikipedia. Is there a history of cancer in the family?

Good luck with everything and the medical MJ so you don't have to break the freaking law to ease the chemo discomfort and hopefully shrink the tumors down too. Crazy that it's still illegal in majority of the country, there is nothing that pisses me off more about our government really. Hopefully you don't have to go through too much extra trouble to get certified.
    Paternal grandfather had colon cancer in his mid 60s. I don't think they even start screening for via colonoscopy until you're 50 years old.

You are in my prayers brother. God bless you and keep you in this difficult time.

I hope you get better. One thing that can help is having more plant based foods and avoiding red meats.

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    I hope you get better. One thing that can help is having more plant based foods and avoiding red meats.
    Could grass-fed/pasture-raised meat eliminate or reverse the association? Maybe. For one, pastured meat contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a healthy trans-fat with anti-cancer effects. Two, pastured animal fat tends to be naturally imbued with antioxidants from all the greenery the animals consume; this protects the fat from oxidation, and certain antioxidants found in pastured animal fat, like lutein, are even associated with lower risks of colon cancer in humans and actively reduce colon cancer in animal trials.
    More on how to eat meat without getting cancer:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-...#ixzz3wciFWImc
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Sorry to hear of your illness, Shem. Best of luck on a full recovery!

FOLFOX-Avistan
    watch this:

http://putlocker.is/watch-dallas-buy...putlocker.html

read this:

http://www.robertslawfirm.com/practi...fects/avastin/

The death of these patients in the clinical trial was just the beginning of serious problems that began to come to light over the next several years.

“black box” warnings about the risks of hemorrhage

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're in my prayers. ((((Hugs))))

Come on Shem, you can beat this !!!! Stay positive, and never let fear rule your mind. You got this in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by skfornh View Post
    Paternal grandfather had colon cancer in his mid 60s. I don't think they even start screening for via colonoscopy until you're 50 years old.
    Both my wife's and my family have colon cancer in it (a grandparent each). Both families started the colonoscopies at 50. I think the earliest the recommend is like 45 and every 2-4 years. I always planned on the 50 yr date but now I'm wondering...

Anyway, you've got your $#@! together it seems so you're treatment plan for mind, body and spirit. Stay strong, you've always got a sounding board here, and we'll be praying for you.

Updated

Thanks. I agree that it is not ideal

My best, keep strong.

Stay strong, brother. You can still find medicinal quality cannabis, it is just that the risk is higher.

I'd be in New Hampshire in a heartbeat if I found out you were being harassed/criminalized in your attempt to seek medicine.

$#@!ing ridiculous.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Yeah I really suck at these kinds of things. Sorry for denigrating this to 'these kinds of things'. But I don't really know what to say.. I feel the need to show some support though since that's the very least I can do. I've talked to Shem on chat a whole bunch of times, don't know him that well but I hate seeing anyone sick, let alone that young and that severe, so, yeah, stay strong Shem. You're in my thoughts as I don't do prayers .
    "I am a bird"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know from several friends and acquaintances that have undergone chemo that it's a lot better, easier, and more effective than it was just 15 years ago. God bless you Shem, and you are still in my prayers.

You are in my prayers Shem, thank you for the update.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Let us know if there is anything we can do, we're right here in "the 'Shire".

If you can't reach us for some reason, get a hold of Keith, he has my contact info.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-14-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Go gett'em buddy! God bless!

And if you need anything, there's a forum's worth of people willing to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    And less sugar, all forms of it.

The next best thing you can do is keep a positive can-do attitude. We are here for you.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast