Thread: Rand, "Senator Cruz Brags About Expanding Surveillance of Innocent Americans"

Rand, "Senator Cruz Brags About Expanding Surveillance of Innocent Americans"

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rand-...53980272243054

With the threats our nation faces today, I think we've seen enough of Republicans who talk out of both sides of their mouths.
    There's just too much at stake for our country to get this pick for our party's presidential nomination wrong.
    Sadly, with Senator Ted Cruz, I'm afraid you and I are seeing a candidate who's trying to be all things to all people, instead of standing strong for conservative principles.
    Early last summer, as I was leading the fight to stop reauthorization of the NSA's unconstitutional and out-of-control domestic spying programs, Senator Cruz was quick to say he shared my concerns about privacy.
    But unlike me, Senator Cruz supported passage of the so-called USA Freedom Act -- which kept data collection programs going full speed ahead.
    As I warned, this bill was hardly a reform. It still allows government to access any Americans' personal phone records without a warrant in clear violation of the Constitution's Fourth Amendment.
    Well, just recently, Senator Cruz bragged that he supported the USA Freedom Act because "the old program covered 20 to 30 percent of phone numbers . . . The new program covers nearly 100%."

That's right.
    Senator Cruz admits he's actually for MORE spying, MORE data collection on innocent Americans and the outright destruction of our Fourth Amendment rights!
    Senator Cruz is flat-out wrong on this critical issue.
    As I'm afraid many Americans are learning, his finger-in-the-wind conservatism is no substitute for the real thing.
    The problems our country faces today with growing debt, growing terrorist threats and growing government attacks on our most basic freedoms are real.
    They're serious.
    They threaten the very soul of who we are.
    They're too important to entrust to a politician who uses political games to advance his own personal ambition.
    Whether it's Obamacare, economic regulations and restrictions, gun control, or mass surveillance, Big Government fails every time it's tried.
    In fact, earlier this year, the FBI admitted that not one terrorist attack was prevented through the NSA's collection of phone records on American citizens.
    The NSA's spying programs didn't stop the Boston bombers -- despite warnings from foreign intelligence agencies.
    It didn't stop the San Bernardino killers -- despite pledging support for ISIS on social media.
    Instead of targeting those who should legitimately raise red flags, reexamining our broken visa system and vetting dangerous Islamic refugees, my colleagues would rather expand failed government spying programs and put every American's freedom at risk.
    Just recently, it was revealed that the NSA spied on Members of Congress to keep tabs on those who opposed President Obama's outrageous nuclear deal with Iran!
    Is this really what we want?
    Do we really want to arm a President of the United States with spying powers that can be used to browbeat Members of Congress into supporting a radical, anti-freedom agenda for America?
    In writing the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the Founders unequivocally said, "NO!"
    They knew that once those in government know how we live our lives, it won't be long until they try to run every aspect of them.
    This issue is too important for the political games Senator Cruz is playing.
    I will never waver.
    I will never back down.
    With your help, we will restore the constitutional freedoms those in BOTH parties are attempting to rip from us.

In Liberty,

Rand Paul
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Do you think the establishment is going to change their tune on spying on us since they have skin in the game now? Which appears to be Rand's point. I favor the NSA spying on the communications of hostile governments and their agents in the United States: http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...aucus-exposed/

Ted Cruz is playing the game. Hopefully he fails at it. Friggin copycat.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Cruz wants have it both ways on every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RPfan1992 View Post
    Cruz wants have it both ways on every issue.
    Cruz gives me the heebie jeebies.