Thread: Richard Burr Is a Walking (Dead) Billboard For Term Limits

Richard Burr Is a Walking (Dead) Billboard For Term Limits

Richard Burr Is a Walking (Dead) Billboard For Term Limits
    By: Matt Kibbe | January 6th, 2016

In each of the past five years of his second term as a U.S. Senator, Richard Burr has seen his FreedomWorks rating fall, going from a respectable 86% in 2010 to a failing grade of 53% in 2015. Burr’s lifetime Liberty Score at Conservative Review is worse still: an “F” or 43%.

How is this possible? The answer, of course, is that Richard Burr has been in Washington too long. Burr has held federal office since 1995, having been elected to the House of Representatives in the first wave of the Republican revolution. He is currently serving the 5th year of his second term.

Senator Richard Burr is a walking, talking, Washington has him now, public service announcement for the dire need for term limits on members of Congress. He has “grown in office,” as they say. He has become a creature of Washington, a member of the club, and a reliable advocate for inside-the-Beltway interests that feed at the trough of big government.
    Burr has been a reliable opponent of any effort to use the constitutionally-provided “power of the purse” to slow President Obama’s numerous Executive power grabs.

There is plenty of evidence that Richard Burr has been “infected” by the Beltway disease. Let me give you just a few recent bites:

- Burr sided with crony capitalists and D.C. lobbyists in protecting the Export-Import Bank from a broad effort by fiscal conservatives in the House to defund it. ...

- Burr aggressively opposed efforts to defund Obamacare, calling Senator Mike Lee’s proposal to pass a CR that would continue funding government functions except for monies used to implement the president’s disastrous healthcare redesign “…the dumbest idea I've ever heard of." Indeed, Burr has been a reliable opponent of any effort to use the constitutionally-provided “power of the purse” to slow President Obama’s numerous Executive power grabs. ...

- Burr conspired with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to bury the controversial CISA cyber spying legislation in December’s massive $1.1 trillion omnibus, a monstrosity that no member of congress could possibly have read. ...

Dr. Greg Brannon, an OBGYN from Cary, North Carolina, recently announced that he would challenge sitting Senator Richard Burr in the 2016 Republican primary. ...

In 2014, Brannon ran a spirited campaign against now-Senator Thom Tillis. Among others, Senator Mike Lee, Glenn Beck, Senator Rand Paul, Mark Levin, and Congressman Thomas Massie all endorsed Brannon. (Full disclosure: FreedomWorks also endorsed Brannon in 2014 when I still served as the organization’s president.)
    Why would Dr. Brannon be willing to stand in the line of fire once again? I asked him the question directly, and here’s what he told me:
    But if we don’t stand up and fight to defend the principles that made this country great, we will watch as the American Dream vanishes for future generations. I care deeply about the America we will leave behind for my seven children – and the 9,000 babies I’ve been blessed to deliver.

I’m going to win. The voters in North Carolina are fed up with establishment Republicans like Richard Burr, Mitch McConnell, and Lindsey Graham. They're looking for courageous conservatives who will stand up and fight for conservative values. We've received a tremendous amount of support since the launch of this campaign and have received more than 800 grassroots donations in the first week alone. I'm confident that 2016 will be the year North Carolina sends a conservative fighter to the US Senate.
    More: http://www.conservativereview.com/co...or-term-limits
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It must be great to win one election, collect your pay, collect the lobbyist money and sit back on your ass for 10 or 20 years doing nothing but collecting money. Think of your Congress and President as high dollar "call girls" . That's exactly what they are.

If representatives were limited to just one term, Ron Paul would have only been in office for two years- finished by 1979.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-06-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If representatives were limited to just one term, Ron Paul would have only been in office for two years- finished by 1979.
    For every one Ron Paul you name, I can list 535 or so bums.
    Last edited by RJB; 01-06-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Burr is my senator....he is pure establishment....but, I must give him credit for one thing; he has really good staff people. I once wrote to him on some issue, and I don't really remember what it was, but I received a two page letter, not boiler plate, with a detailed, extensive response to my question. I've written a lot of senators and reps and even prezes, but I have never received this detailed of a response from anyone. I have even received return phone calls from his office. So, he has constituent services down, but he never votes the way I want him to, so I cannot stand him.

I don't know much about the guy, but term limits would incentivize more looting than already goes on, in accordance with Hoppe's critiques of democracy.
    Last edited by ThePaleoLibertarian; 01-06-2016 at 08:48 PM.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

With term limits, a candidate can say whatever it takes to be elected and then do whatever the heck he wants to once in office without having to worry about facing the voters again. If you think candidates are only out for themselves now....

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Yeah, but think of the 500 and something mafia a-holes who voted against everyone one of his initiatives.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Most term limit proposals have six House terms and two senate terms.

If we imposed those right now the only loss for liberty would be Walter Jones and we would have like 300 wins to try and get new blood.

That means a person could still be a career politician (state govt, 12 years in US House, 12 years in US Senate, could even possibly go eight years as president), but they would have to re-earn the voter approval in a new position with a new constituency.

I really can't think of any downside for term limits. I assume a sizable % of politicians have some sort of ideals before entering office, so let's at least get them out before they become fixtures in the Washington Machine.
    Find liberty candidates to support:
    http://www.candidates4liberty.com

Quote Originally Posted by jurgs01 View Post
    Most term limit proposals have six House terms and two senate terms.

If we imposed those right now the only loss for liberty would be Walter Jones and we would have like 300 wins to try and get new blood.

That means a person could still be a career politician (state govt, 12 years in US House, 12 years in US Senate, could even possibly go eight years as president), but they would have to re-earn the voter approval in a new position with a new constituency.

I really can't think of any downside for term limits. I assume a sizable % of politicians have some sort of ideals before entering office, so let's at least get them out before they become fixtures in the Washington Machine.
    Walter Jones is a great man. I bet he would be more than happy to accept term limits knowing, 400 and something of that filth in Washington would be going out the door with him.

Bump.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Term limits is not the answer "the Washington machine" can easily coax and fund any statist political science major into public office. What needs to be done is ending the boundless incentives they receive, along with their exemptions from criminal prosecution that normal people get prosecuted for, and the lobbyist pandering and corporatism that goes on behind closed doors.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber