Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uber probably just shot itself in the foot

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Uh, no, he was wrong. Uber has a $1 million commercial insurance policy that protects every ride.

Good luck getting a network of private drivers who will take you home at 2am for $6.
    Yeah he told me about that...but there is grey area with it covering his car while having a passenger or something he mentioned . Trust me the driver knew his $#@! and told me there is a grey area that hasnt been defined by law yet

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    What would people think about a store selling water at $50 a gallon following a natural disaster? Market supply and demand? (granted a taxi is not necessarily a "need" like water is when supplies have been cutoff).
    I would be fine with that. Everyone here would.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    Yeah he told me about that...but there is grey area with it covering his car while having a passenger or something he mentioned . Trust me the driver knew his $#@! and told me there is a grey area that hasnt been defined by law yet
    No, the grey area is when he DOESN'T have a passenger, is not on a trip, and has not yet accepted a trip and is not going to pick up a passenger.. when he is waiting on a ride and driving around or something..

When a trip is accepted, the commercial policy kicks in, and covers the customers and liability for any vehicles.

This guy doesn't know his $#@!.

Edit: More about the "grey area" - my friend showed me his uber dash panel - all drivers are required to have insurance with updated policy information, otherwise they cannot login to the app. Same with all the other required documents, they must be updated before they expire. Uber's insurance covers drivers when they are NOT on rides to the extent of their personal insurance limits (coverage match), which they are required to have. Once on a trip, whether to pickup or when the passenger is in the vehicle, the full commercial policy kicks in. So the only real grey area would be if a driver cancelled their insurance policy and uber didn't know about it - but the commercial policy would still cover the vehicle's liability during a designated trip.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-04-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What would people think about a store selling water at $50 a gallon following a natural disaster? Market supply and demand? (granted a taxi is not necessarily a "need" like water is when supplies have been cutoff).
    It would give me the opportunity to go and sell a gallon for $45.....

If it was distasteful enough to the local residents I would expect to go out of business very soon afterwards.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So tough luck if you can't afford $50 water and die.
    What should the price be?....who would determine that?.....what about the person who wants it free??

You say these people have a right to live by taking from others but you pro abortion pukes don't feel the same when it comes to other life and death situations.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

So tough luck if you can't afford $50 water and die.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    So, how is a single mother of 4 supposed to pay 500 dollars to get back from partying. She's not rich, she is underpayed, the government only pays her like a 1000 a month cash benefit, which is insane, the government should pay her at least 20 an hour times 60 hours a week to care for 4 kids but society doesn't want to pay for people to take care of kids. If society cared they'd pay to take care of children, it shouldn't matter who they belong to, is that child more important than that one. It's sick, then she's supposed to pay 500 dollars just to enjoy a day off work. It's tough taken care of kids.

I guess you sickos would have her start charging for sex to pay for 500 UBer rides. Like it's her fault she's not paid enough at her job taking care of her children. Patriarchy in action. A woman is nothing more than a hole to you and uber apparently. Want a ride? Get on your back ho and ride this. You people should be ashamed!

Uber hurts Women.
    Especially minority women. There's less of them to lay on their back so their price goes up right?

Our main potable water source is dependent on electricity, we have the strong possibility of water service interruptions yearly (monthly sometimes) and we prepare in like. We live on an island and have experienced shortages (outages really) of goods at stores -rice and toilet paper usually.

A conversation about what a store may have and the price of goods (controls) after/during a natural disaster does not compute.

How about if the guy wants three tarps for his gallon of water but I only have 200 AAA batteries? One method tries to control the uncontrollable with a bolstered relationship with the G as in gun/government and FRNs (w/assumed price controls), and the other method (preparedness, anticipating your neighbor's needs) bolsters voluntary relationships with your neighbors based in reality.

Showing people a safety net (price "controls") easily retards their preparedness and destroys focus -I know this from my own hard learned experiences.

Two is one and one is none. With price controls, you don't have to remember that wisdom or lookout for your neighbors, you just have to make it to the store.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I understood; I think we all did. For what it's worth, I personally do not think that Uber is as weak and vulnerable any more as you might. I think they are on solid ground, well-funded, and are going to continue to expand, even in the face of opposition from the incumbent monopolists. In California, at least, they are entrenched, powerful, and not going away any time soon, and that's a huge market.

So, while I agree it would be a tragedy if this gets them shut down by our enemy, The State, I don't see that happening. Happily.

So, instead, I see this as an opportunity to educate people about how wonderful and just duh-level common-sense so-called "price-gouging" really is. Gives the issue some publicity, and lots of people are sympathetic to Uber, not just libertarians, and this particular situation is not complicated by tragedy/emergency, anyone dying or anything. In fact all the circumstances are ideal for sympathy towards the "price-gougers": ordinary working stiffs just trying to make an extra buck to make ends meet; and against the complainer/protesters: people who were out partying, demonstrably have plenty of disposable income, specifically typed out approval of buying the cab knowing full well the price and so have no place to complain about their own freely-made fully-informed choice, and finally who got what most people would consider a luxury good: a cab ride. So they are going to attract about as much pathos as a group of CEO wives complaining about a sudden increase in the price of mink coats. While the "gougers" will get plenty of pathos -- they're not fat cats profiting off a tragedy, they're just normal low to lower-middle class folks who deprived themselves of one of their rare chances for celebration in order to put their shoulder to the wheel and do some hard, thankless work to support their families. You're going to yell at them? For what? Who is exploiting whom here?

This is a perfect case-study to publicize. Every psychological factor possible is on our side. We should trumpet this loud and long, far and wide, from sea to shining sea. Uber has done us a huge favor. It's a possible downside for them, but it is a beautiful opportunity for us liberty-lovers. We can educate people about economics.
    Only if they want to learn. As my grandpapa said, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I was out on NYE and needed an uber. Many hours before NYE kicked off I got an email warning from uber saying there is going to be a price surge. They even had a graph and listing the approx timings of the surge. They gave advice on how to safely have a nice NYE and precautions to take and how to avoid the price surge.

Then I needed a car during the surge. Normally in one click you order your car, BUT IN THIS SURGE NIGHT, THEY FORCED YOU TO TYPE IN THE SURGE PRICE!!!!

I forgot the amount, but the app actually forced you to type in the surge rate to acknowledge you are paying that higher rate. What dumb $#@! cannot comprehend that? You actually COULD NOT GO TO THE NEXT screen and order your ride without typing in the rate!

My ride on the app said 2 minutes away but he called and said he's at least 10+ minutes away due to some blocked off streets specifically for NYE. In the meantime in my group someone was also making car arrangements which were close by so we told him it wasn't necessary. He didn't sound upset about it, since I'm sure he was getting pinged all night. Thank goodness there is a service like that available. When it rains here, there are NO TAXIS, it becomes extremely difficult to find a car, so it's great you can uber and pay extra (again they force you to punch in the surge rate) and get a ride out of the rain.

There are multiple choices of the kind of car you can choose, but sometimes out of desperation you don't care if it's a luxury car with a higher rate, you just need a car, any car.

I'm not sure what the hell else Uber could have done to avoid angry end users. They sent emails to everyone. THEY FORCED people to acknowledge the exact higher rate they will pay, so how can anyone be surprised? You want a ride on NYE when a thousands of people are asking for the exact same thing? You don't think its going to cost extra to get a ride at that moment?

I once landed into HK right as a typhoon came and had no way to get home as all the public transportation was shutting down that moment. I called up a taxi company saying I will pay $20 USD on top of the fare just to have someone come straight to me, or at least convince someone to take make the decision to take 1 more pickup in the bad weather. I don't know how I would have gotten home that night if I didn't offer up a "surcharge". Should I have complained why I had to pay him $20 extra?

Someone mentioned what happens when there is a hurricane and there is no price gouging for water?

Well I've been through a few of them. They warn you for a couple days at least before these things show up, it's ALL anyone is talking about on the news, at the water cooler, everywhere. So it's NOT LIKE a hurricane jumped out of nowhere and surprised anyone within 30 seconds. I buy all my canned goods, water, gasoline a few days ahead of time, some stuff like batteries and what not buy as soon as hurricane season starts June 1st.

The other boobus crowd does nothing until a few hours before and they stand in 6 hour lines at home depot and 2 hour lines at the gas station and 1 hour lines at the grocery store, people are screaming, angry, agitated, and the shelves are barren. And then there is even the crowd that didn't bother to stand in line last minute. Well they complain and bitch and moan to the TV cameras show up post-hurricane about not having water, etc for the last 12 hours during the hurricane and now for maybe the next 1-4 days with no power. And since there are no price gougers anywhere THE ONLY OPTION IS FOR THEM TO WAIT MANY hours or a day or two until a big govt truck pulls up, and the idiot masses then stand in line for a couple hours in the hot sun to get their rations of 2 bags of ice and 4 gallons of water evenly distributed to all who come.

Yay, FEMA will save us! Get in line. Here are your rations. What a great system.

This is Really Going to Mess With the NYC Taxi Industry
    http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com...-with-nyc.html
    Robert Wenzel (29 January 2016)

Uber is going for the jugular in the escalating Big Apple cab wars — with a substantial drop in prices that was scheduled to go into effect Friday morning, reports NyPo.

The base fare in NYC goes from $3 to $2.55 and the per mile rate will go from $2.15 to $1.75 while the per minute rate will go from 40 cents to 35 cents.

Taxi drivers are incensed by the move, notes NyPo. Unlike black cars, their prices are set by the Taxi and Limousine Commission, so they can’t drop their prices to compete.

“Uber is keeping its drivers in poverty wages just so that the company can try to monopolize,” said Bhairavi Desai executive director of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance “This is horrible.”

In fact, Uber drivers are happy with the rate cut.

NyPO reports:

The last time Uber dropped its prices – in July of 2014 – time that the drivers spent without a fare in the car dropped by 42 percent. They expect to shave even more idle time off this time.

Some drivers, who claim they sometimes wait for up to 30 minutes between fares, say they are happy with the change.

“We need to to do something to increase the money, go ahead and do it,” said Adalgisa Sanchez, 51, who has been driving for Uber for three years. Sanchez said she takes home about $1,800 if she works 45 hours a week.

The only losers are the government sanctioned and controlled taxi cartel.

Go Uber!

And then there's this:

Uber is Now More Popular than Taxis or Car Rental with Business People
    http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com...-taxis-or.html
    Robert Wenzel (28 January 2016)

Every quarter Certify, a business-expense software firm, collects data from millions of travel-expense claims in America in order to spot market trends. If there has been one story this year, it has been the incredible rise in the proportion of business travellers using Uber. Within the space of 12 months, the car-sharing service has gone from having the lowest share of “ground transportation” journeys, when compared with regular taxis and car rentals, to the most, reports Economist magazine.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    So, how is a single mother of 4 supposed to pay 500 dollars to get back from partying. She's not rich, she is underpayed, the government only pays her like a 1000 a month cash benefit, which is insane, the government should pay her at least 20 an hour times 60 hours a week to care for 4 kids but society doesn't want to pay for people to take care of kids. If society cared they'd pay to take care of children, it shouldn't matter who they belong to, is that child more important than that one. It's sick, then she's supposed to pay 500 dollars just to enjoy a day off work. It's tough taken care of kids.

I guess you sickos would have her start charging for sex to pay for 500 UBer rides. Like it's her fault she's not paid enough at her job taking care of her children. Patriarchy in action. A woman is nothing more than a hole to you and uber apparently. Want a ride? Get on your back ho and ride this. You people should be ashamed!

Uber hurts Women.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

“We need to to do something to increase the money, go ahead and do it,” said Adalgisa Sanchez, 51, who has been driving for Uber for three years. Sanchez said she takes home about $1,800 if she works 45 hours a week.[/INDENT]

The only losers are the government sanctioned and controlled taxi cartel.

Go Uber!
    Sounds like the hypothetical woman in RPIG's post would do better working for Uber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

Now, anyone who has ever dealt with DUI knows that a $500 fare would be nothing compared with the legal consequences of driving drunk
    Yep. But some will still say they have a RIGHT to drive drunk therefore it's wrong to pay the legal consequences of DUI.

So if Uber prices "surged", why not just take a regular taxi or call a car service?

Their rates dont change based on demand.

Or am I missing something?
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    I would be fine with that. Everyone here would.
    I would not be fine with it. I think it's ridiculous and terrible to charge a generally unpayable quantity for a necessity. I've been horrified to see the gouging after a natural disaster, and to me that is the difference (gouging is when it's something utterly necessary; you can't gouge on the price of Coach purses, for instance).

While I would not be fine with it, I also would not want the Government in charge of deciding what that "appropriate" price is.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    So if Uber prices "surged", why not just take a regular taxi or call a car service?

Yes, your taxi or car service bc there are none available at peak hours!

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    I would not be fine with it. I think it's ridiculous and terrible to charge a generally unpayable quantity for a necessity.
    Necessity my ass. Only socialists believe in "entitled to necessities" a ride is property. It's a choice, you are neither forced nor entitled to it

I've been horrified to see the gouging after a natural disaster, and to me that is the difference (gouging is when it's something utterly necessary; you can't gouge on the price of Coach purses, for instance).
    There is no difference, it's arbitrary, both are choices. Nobody is obligated to share either, if you disagree, you're not a Rand/Ron supporter, you're a socialist who wants government to give people what they "need"

While I would not be fine with it, I also would not want the Government in charge of deciding what that "appropriate" price is.
    So what is your point? you just rant and hope people care?

I would not be fine with it. I think it's ridiculous and terrible to charge a generally unpayable quantity for a necessity. I've been horrified to see the gouging after a natural disaster, and to me that is the difference (gouging is when it's something utterly necessary; you can't gouge on the price of Coach purses, for instance).

The market determines the appropriate price. If $50 a gallon for water is what it takes for people to bring in water, then that's the appropriate price, and any attempts to forcibly reduce that price will just ensure that those people don't have enough water. Of course, the example of $50 for water is ridiculous. I would fill a truck and bring it in for much less than that. As supply increases those prices will come down.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    The market determines the appropriate price. If $50 a gallon for water is what it takes for people to bring in water, then that's the appropriate price, and any attempts to forcibly reduce that price will just ensure that those people don't have enough water. Of course, the example of $50 for water is ridiculous. I would fill a truck and bring it in for much less than that. As supply increases those prices will come down.
    $50 is only ridiculous because NOW you find it easy to bring water, just wait until it's not that easy, when roads are broken, you can't fill up gas or all the sources you know of are contaminated or gouged you first.

You are correct that supply is what ultimately decreases prices (not competition of suppliers unless there's actual increase in supply).

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No one was forced at weapon point to use UBER soooooo there is no basis for complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post

I believe the deal is that many of the 20% saw UBER drivers as bottom 80%'ers working for India style wagers as of course all bottom 80%'ers should.

I would not be fine with it. I think it's ridiculous and terrible to charge a generally unpayable quantity for a necessity.

Charging a generally unpayable amount for a generally unobtainable item. What a crime.

How dare they.

Stop making the impossible possible, you moral-less creeps.

~~~

As for me, I will stand with them that dare. Who do the impossible. Who absolutely cannot be bothered enough to even spit in the faces of the entitled, envious, grasping bleches who will condemn them for their deeds. Who do not care about them nor what they feel. For they, in contrast, think. And so they rule reality. While the whiners, while the moochers, while the bleeding hearts, well, they can all be "horrified" and bellyache. As reality passes them by.

Did you miss all the arguments I made regarding this??

If you need water to drink and they charge $50/gallon, and you buy a gallon and survive the ordeal you will be happy, compared to:

If they charge $10/gallon and somebody buys your water so they can water their house plants or have some extra water to wash dishes or something and ran out, you would not have any water to buy to drink.

Increasing the prices makes it so that people buy less for themselves, so more people can at least have water to drink.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Fantastic. Four responses, and none of you read what I said.

Let me go slower.

The market SHOULD set the price. It could be $1,000,000 a bottle if you really wanted. There are people that will pay it.

You responded as if I were saying that gouging should be illegal, even though I specifically said it should not be. It's still an $#@! move, though. Don't be shocked if you're called an $#@! for doing $#@! things. You'll have a lovely profit margin, until someone undercuts the hell out of you and you're left priced out of the market AND have your brand damaged. Paying attention to the perception of what you're doing makes good sense most of the time.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

You said (wrote) the following:

"I would not be fine with it. I think it's ridiculous and terrible to charge a generally unpayable quantity for a necessity."

I, on he other hand, have the diametrically opposite attitude. I would not only be fine with it, I laud and commend such behavior. You think it is ridiculous and terrible and, and you further emphasized, a lowlife jerk move, to charge a generally unpayable amount for a generally unobtainable necessity.

I think it is heroic, commendable, honorable, and virtuous. The men who are charging this high amount did not have to go to all the work and trouble and toil and planning they did to make this necessity available. No one else did! That's for sure. That's why only they have it, and why they can charge a high price! Blame the bums who did nothing, blame the bums NOT hawking bottled water on the street to the dehydrating crowds. Don't blame the heroes who are.

Let's raise a toast to them that DO
    A toast,
    A cheer,
    A cry!
    Replace the DOERS with the whiners,
    All
    of us
    would die.

Let me go slower.

The market SHOULD set the price. It could be $1,000,000 a bottle if you really wanted. There are people that will pay it.

You responded as if I were saying that gouging should be illegal, even though I specifically said it should not be. It's still an $#@! move, though. Don't be shocked if you're called an $#@! for doing $#@! things. You'll have a lovely profit margin, until someone undercuts the hell out of you and you're left priced out of the market AND have your brand damaged. Paying attention to the perception of what you're doing makes good sense most of the time.
    what's the point of having freedom and choice if you're not going to exercise it and be an $#@!?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123