Thread: Top Philly donor moves on from Anthony Williams...to Rand Paul

Top Philly donor moves on from Anthony Williams...to Rand Paul

You'd think that Bala Cynwyd-based equity options trader Jeff Yass might want to sit out the rest of 2015 when it comes to campaign contributions. After all, it was just this spring that the Montgomery County billionaire -- along with two of his partners in the Susquehanna International Group, Arthur Dantchik and Joel Greenberg -- invested $7 million or so in a political action committee to make state Sen. Anthony Hardy Williams the next mayor of Philadelphia. Instead, Williams and his libertarian-approved brand of charter-school boosterism were soundly rejected by voters in a landslide Democratic primary win for the now-mayor-elect, Jim Kenney.

But Yass, a limited-government zealot who sits on the board of the libertarian Cato Institute think tank, jumped right back on the horse of big-money politics -- only to ride an even bigger longshot, the Kentucky GOP senator Rand Paul, who trails badly in the latest primary polls. Today, a bombshell New York Times expose on billionaires and their tax breaks suggests that Yass may be particularly enthusiastic these days about a certain kind of limited government -- getting the IRS off the back of a Susquehanna subsidiary.

Here's the relevant excerpt:
    Another prominent donor is Mr. Yass, who helps run a trading firm called the Susquehanna International Group. He donated $100,000 to the Club for Growth Action fund in September. Mr. Yass serves on the board of the libertarian Cato Institute and, like Mr. Mercer, appears to subscribe to limited *government views that partly motivate his political spending.

But he may also have more than a passing interest in creating a political environment that undermines the I.R.S. Susquehanna is currently challenging a proposed I.R.S. determination that an affiliate of the firm effectively repatriated more than $375 million in income from subsidiaries located in Ireland and the Cayman Islands in 2007, activating a large tax liability. (The affiliate brought the money back to the United States in later years and paid dividend taxes on it; the I.R.S. asserts that it should have paid the ordinary income tax rate, at a cost of tens of millions of dollars more.)

In June, Mr. Yass donated more than $2 million to three super PACs aligned with Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, who has called for taxing all income at a flat rate of 14.5 percent. That change in itself would save wealthy supporters like Mr. Yass millions of dollars.

Mr. Paul has suggested going even further, calling the I.R.S. a “rogue agency” and circulating a petition in 2013 calling for the tax equivalent of regime change. “Be it now therefore resolved,” the petition reads, “that we, the undersigned, demand the immediate abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service.”

From my reading of the Times article, there's no suggestion that Yass did anything illegal or improper. But isn't that the thing that makes this type of behavior so outrageous -- that there's nothing illegal about a billionaire giving a couple of million dollars to try to elect the mayor of a big city like Philadelphia and another million or two to hopefully elect a president? And all to enact policies that will personally benefit him -- while screwing over working parents and the middle class.

Indeed, the Yass excerpt is just one small element of a stunning indictment of the American system in which several hundred of the super-rich are able to use their lobbyists and their unlimited campaign contributions to rig the game in their favor. Once upon a time, the 2016 presidential election was going to be about fixing this problem -- until fear and loathing and a short-fingered vulgarian with orange-hair stole all the oxygen from the room. Maybe in 2020, right?
    LINK HAS BEEN KILLED SINCE THE WRITER IS LAME

Found this gem at the acalltopaul.com
    Last edited by carlton; 12-30-2015 at 11:08 PM.
    I was born in a welfare state/Ruled by bureaucracy/Controlled by civil servants/And people dressed in grey/Got no privacy, got no liberty/Cos the twentieth century people took it all away from me - Ray Davies

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlton View Post
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/a...p4oq1odkduK.99

Great stuff! Thanks for the find, Carlton!

The author of the article finishes saying that the billionaire is flushing his money down the toilet with Rand... and then regurgitates the tired trope that the wealthy are rigging the game in their favor. *facepalm*

Quote Originally Posted by statist slayer View Post
    The author of the article finishes saying that the billionaire is flushing his money down the toilet with Rand... and then regurgitates the tired trope that the wealthy are rigging the game in their favor. *facepalm*
    Oxymoron that the author failed to recognize, oh the irony is strong.

The Secret Billionaire? (tm)
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Philly would have been a very tough win for anyone

Fantastic news!

Quote Originally Posted by Joeinmo View Post
    Philly would have been a very tough win for anyone
    Yea, Philly's a waste of time for anyone to the right of Trotsky.

Kill the link, don't give that writer another click.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by statist slayer View Post
    As someone who lives fairly close to Philadelphia (I'm still alive primarily because I don't live there) and works there fairly often, I can attest that most of the people who write for its various newspapers are not terribly bright, some of them write like they need assistance using the bathroom it gets so idiotic.

On the bright side, this is excellent news, and a much needed boost after a series of letdowns on the fundraising front.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Kill the link, don't give that writer another click.
    Done
    I was born in a welfare state/Ruled by bureaucracy/Controlled by civil servants/And people dressed in grey/Got no privacy, got no liberty/Cos the twentieth century people took it all away from me - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    As someone who lives fairly close to Philadelphia (I'm still alive primarily because I don't live there) and works there fairly often, I can attest that most of the people who write for its various newspapers are not terribly bright, some of them write like they need assistance using the bathroom it gets so idiotic.

On the bright side, this is excellent news, and a much needed boost after a series of letdowns on the fundraising front.
    Rand is closing in on $320,000. I bet that when I go to bed in 3 hours, Rand will hit the $400,000 mark!

Quote Originally Posted by derek4ever View Post
    Rand is closing in on $320,000. I bet that when I go to bed in 3 hours, Rand will hit the $400,000 mark!
    Hmm, I need to check the website again, I had no idea it had jumped up that high that quickly.

Hmm, I need to check the website again, I had no idea it had jumped up that high that quickly.
    Likewise, it was ~$200k earlier today, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Likewise, it was ~$200k earlier today, IIRC.
    It's true, the total is now above $320k, and I took note that it jumped up about $2,000 within the past 10 minutes. I wonder if the news about our new Philly donor has given some hope to the smaller donor class on team Rand.

It's true, the total is now above $320k, and I took note that it jumped up about $2,000 within the past 10 minutes. I wonder if the news about our new Philly donor has given some hope to the smaller donor class on team Rand.
    I think team Rand is going to go big now. I saw Ron at a fundraiser for Rand the other day, I nearly got tear-eyed since I haven't seen him for quite a while now! Somehow, my gut tells me we're gonna have good karma. Maybe Rand saw Ron can be a key asset to his campaign and I'd love to see Ron just go wild with the crowd surrounding them!

I think team Rand is going to go big now. I saw Ron at a fundraiser for Rand the other day, I nearly got tear-eyed since I haven't seen him for quite a while now! Somehow, my gut tells me we're gonna have good karma. Maybe Rand saw Ron can be a key asset to his campaign and I'd love to see Ron just go wild with the crowd surrounding them!
    This is definitely an uptick in the right direction, and combined with the news of Jeff Yass coming in to give the Super PACs a boost, it could lead to a rock-solid run for the month of January. I'm expecting for Rand to ratchet things up considerably once the New Year begins, and hopefully we'll see him continue to eclipse Bush in the national polls and maybe overtake Carson so we don't have to sweat this upcoming debate.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is definitely an uptick in the right direction, and combined with the news of Jeff Yass coming in to give the Super PACs a boost, it could lead to a rock-solid run for the month of January. I'm expecting for Rand to ratchet things up considerably once the New Year begins, and hopefully we'll see him continue to eclipse Bush in the national polls and maybe overtake Carson so we don't have to sweat this upcoming debate.
    I'm going to bed when Rand passes the $400,000 mark! I know that tomorrow morning he's going to take a peak at the ticker and see that he's gotten the 500k. If I were him, should that happen (I'm pretty positive it'll happen), he should drop the 500k goal from the ticker and just let the money continue to pour in! Reminds me of what happened when Ron needed to get 12 million dollars in the final quarter of 07 and he got 16-17 million! I think tomorrow could be a historic day again for our ranks, I don't know why but I got this same feeling in that '07 moneybomb!

I'm going to bed when Rand passes the $400,000 mark! I know that tomorrow morning he's going to take a peak at the ticker and see that he's gotten the 500k. If I were him, should that happen (I'm pretty positive it'll happen), he should drop the 500k goal from the ticker and just let the money continue to pour in! Reminds me of what happened when Ron needed to get 12 million dollars in the final quarter of 07 and he got 16-17 million! I think tomorrow could be a historic day again for our ranks, I don't know why but I got this same feeling in that '07 moneybomb!
    $333k right now

...up $5k in the last 10 minutes or so, pretty impressive for this time of night.