Thread: Microsoft Has Your Encryption Key If You Use Windows 10

Default Microsoft Has Your Encryption Key If You Use Windows 10

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/12...use-windows-10

An anonymous reader writes with this bit of news from the Intercept. If you login to Windows 10 using your Microsoft account, your computer automatically uploads a copy of your recovery key to a Microsoft servers. From the article: "The fact that new Windows devices require users to backup their recovery key on Microsoft's servers is remarkably similar to a key escrow system, but with an important difference. Users can choose to delete recovery keys from their Microsoft accounts something that people never had the option to do with the Clipper chip system. But they can only delete it after they've already uploaded it to the cloud.....As soon as your recovery key leaves your computer, you have no way of knowing its fate. A hacker could have already hacked your Microsoft account and can make a copy of your recovery key before you have time to delete it. Or Microsoft itself could get hacked, or could have hired a rogue employee with access to user data. Or a law enforcement or spy agency could send Microsoft a request for all data in your account, which would legally compel them to hand over your recovery key, which they could do even if the first thing you do after setting up your computer is delete it. As Matthew Green, professor of cryptography at Johns Hopkins University puts it, 'Your computer is now only as secure as that database of keys held by Microsoft, which means it may be vulnerable to hackers, foreign governments, and people who can extort Microsoft employees.'"
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintian an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

You are Ron Paul's Media!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Don't link a microsoft.com or azure account with your win 10 machine.

Fooled them, I have multiple systems and only one of them runs Win 10.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Don't link a microsoft.com or azure account with your win 10 machine.
    Or, dont use Windows 10!
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

My computer keeps bugging me to get a "free upgrade" to Windows 10 and I keep clicking "No thanks." I now know why.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    My computer keeps bugging me to get a "free upgrade" to Windows 10 and I keep clicking "No thanks." I now know why.
    Uninstall the optional update KB3035583 and never install it again.

Unfortunately, there will likely be more updates but that is the update that causes the "Upgrade to Windows 10" nagware.
    1776 > 1984

Thank you for all the info.

*hugs the re-purposed Penguin laptop (again!)*
    *winks at the Chromebook while shaking a finger at it*
    *is more resolved than ever to avoid future MS products*
    *ponders WINE again*
    *buys another cheap Linux/Steam indie game* Winter sale good until midnight -Support those who support Linux!
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people." Ron Paul

Please watch, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report