Thread: What is Matt Bevin doing?

What is Matt Bevin doing?

You may remember that I've been a rather enthusiastic Matt Bevin supporter, but I put my support behind my opposition to executive overreach instead of constitutional government. So I am concerned about all of Matt Bevin's executive orders in Kentucky. Are these orders within the scope of he Kentucky constitution?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You could save us some time and list some of these executive orders that concern you.

It seems many of the orders were just reversals of past executive orders. However, the one I really like, concerning clerks' names on marriage certificates, seems especially questionable.

I don't know how much power the KY Constitution gives the Governor. Each state is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    It seems many of the orders were just reversals of past executive orders. However, the one I really like, concerning clerks' names on marriage certificates, seems especially questionable.
    Why is that the one that is questionable to you?

Quote Originally Posted by givemeliberty2010 View Post
    I have seen something about this order and it seems to protect Christians (or even Muslims) from having to "sign" (or endorse) the marriage licenses of gay marriages. The order promotes religious liberty.
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Why is that the one that is questionable to you?
    As I said, the others are rescinding prior orders. This one is making new law, which is probably not the governor's role, although I don't know Kentucky law well.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    I have seen something about this order and it seems to protect Christians (or even Muslims) from having to "sign" (or endorse) the marriage licenses of gay marriages. The order promotes religious liberty.
    Yes, it's a great idea, but it might not be constitutional until done by the legislature.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.