Thread: New Orleans votes to take down statue of Robert E. Lee

New Orleans votes to take down statue of Robert E. Lee

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans' leaders on Thursday made a sweeping move to break with the city's Confederate past when the City Council voted to remove prominent Confederate monuments along some of its busiest streets.

The council's 6-1 vote allows the city to remove four monuments, including a towering statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that has stood at the center of a traffic circle for 131 years.

It was an emotional meeting — often interrupted by heckling — infused with references to slavery, lynchings and racism, as well as the pleas of those who opposed removing the monuments to not "rewrite history."
    http://news.yahoo.com/orleans-consid...102006325.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The PURGE continues. Unchallenged and unabated.

I see Louisiana finally learned its place.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/loca...ents/77514082/

------------------

" plaintiffs are asking a federal judge to issues a temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction and permanent injunction against Landrieu and the city, "barring them from removing, disassembling, placing into storage or tampering in any way with" the Robert E. Lee, P.G.T. Beauregard, Jefferson Davis and Liberty Place monuments.

"Filing the suit were the Monumental Task Committee, which recently called for keeping the monuments in place, the Louisiana Landmarks Society, Foundation for Historical Louisiana and Beauregard Camp No. 130."

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Why do these people want to rewrite history?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Why do these people want to rewrite history?
    Communists and dictators always rewrite history. We have finally arrived at the Orwellian society.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Reconstruction is finally complete?
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Ship it to Virginia.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Boobus knows that this could never happen here in the greatest nation in the universe.

It's about time, some voodoo cajun could have cast a spell on that statue, turning it into the real Robert e Lee, and he could have incited a rebellion.

Better safe than sorry.

I'll give it a good home.

$#@! the P/C crowd in NO.

Now, get confederate General Albert Pike statue out of D.C..
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 12-19-2015 at 02:30 PM.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...tration_1.html

'Mayor Mitch Landrieu's administration has agreed not to remove four Confederate-related monuments from New Orleans' streets before a Jan. 14 hearing in federal court, public records show. Four organizations filed a lawsuit Thursday (Dec. 17) seeking to keep the monuments up, hours after the City Council voted 6-1 to remove the markers.

'U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier issued an order Friday to move a hearing on the plaintiffs' motion for a temporary restraining order to Jan. 14. The hearing had been scheduled Monday. Barbier said the city "will take no action to remove the four monuments in question in the interim." '

Statues may disappear but the spirit that erected them doesn't have to.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book